gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 08:45:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ELO- thoughts?  (Read 9121 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 08:34:41 PM »

just recently got into them, what do you guys think of them? i really like It's Over, Telephone Line, Mr. BlueSky

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 08:48:11 PM »

Mr. Blue sky is a fine song. I also like boy blue off of "Eldorado". in general they seem like more of a singles band though. Ive sometimes found jeff lynne's production style to be a bit tasteless. Like a brian/spector style without any blending, taken to a point of tackiness. Roy Orbison's you got it, for instance. Thats just my opinion. Jeff Lynne probably eats people like me for beakfast.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 08:52:20 PM »

I liked that stuff he did with the beatles, perhaps only ever so often Im annoyed. Wait this is an ELo thread...
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 01:43:37 AM »

I sort of feel that I should like them, because they do the sort of songs that I like, but I don't feel any emotional connection with their stuff whatsoever, all the right bits are there but it just doesn't do it for me.
I'm not keen on Jeff Lynnes voice, I don't think its very pleasant listening, and I loathe his production style (especially the bloody 'Ringo Starr' drums - sounds like someone knocking up a garden shed), though I have liked a few things he's produced - Tom Petty (Full Moon Fever) and George Harrison (Brainwashed), but I heard their new single on the radio the other day and I thought 'More of the same'.
What is good though, is Jeff Lynne's 60s band (Pre-Move) - The Idle Race!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:58:34 AM »

I adore ELO and Jeff Lynne.  I think has voice is gorgeous and I for one like his productions although I do hear a lot of people rail on his style.  I guess they are pretty much a singles band although I do think that the "A New World Record" album as a whole is fantastic.  Shangrila on that album absolutely destroys me!

If you want to dig a little deeper than just the standard release greatest hits stuff, there is a double disc import best of compilation called "Light Years:  The Very Best of ELO"  that is worth seeking out.  It has some great album cuts that are just as good as the more commonly heard songs. 

Also, if you really get into Jeff, seek out his out of print solo album "Armchair Theater".  It isn't as good as ELO but it has some nice songs.  It's a fun record.

I should go into business as Jeff Lynne's sales manager the way I am gushing here!  Sorry, I just really dig his stuff.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 07:36:10 AM »

Armchair Theatre is FANTASTIC. "Lift Me Up" is one of Lynne's best.

Every ELO album has redeeming value. "Out of The Blue" has nary a bad tune on it. The Concerto for a Rainy Day is unbelievable. The haunting yet beautiful vocals on the album cuts on "Discovery" blow my mind (Need Her Love, Confusion).

ELO's filler is better than most group's prime cuts. Lynne is amazingly talented. His production style is a dry, for sure - he says he likes the "voice in the ear sound" - no reverb to be found. But his arrangements are truly awesome.

Lastly, don't count out "Zoom", which is a Lynne solo record posturing as an ELO album. Came out in 2001 and has some lovely melodies and arrangements.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »

Lastly, don't count out "Zoom", which is a Lynne solo record posturing as an ELO album. Came out in 2001 and has some lovely melodies and arrangements.

Agreed, Moment In Paradise and Stranger On a Quie Street are among his best work ever IMO.  I can't say enough great things about ELO.  Love 'em!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:01:17 AM »

Agreed, Moment In Paradise and Stranger On a Quie Street are among his best work ever IMO.  I can't say enough great things about ELO.  Love 'em!

My personal faves from Zoom are Ordinary Dream and A Long Time Gone (with George Harrison on slide geetar)
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2007, 04:27:42 PM »

Two favorites are "Can't Get It Out Of My Head" and "Don't Bring Me Down"...

I know Jeff Lynne is respected within the music industry, but somehow I don't think he has gotten enough respect with the general listening public. Is he thought of as one of the great composers/arrangers? You could fill an 80 min. CD of good ELO stuff quite easily.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 03:46:09 AM »

I only know two songs by ELO, "Mr. Blue Sky" and "Four Little Diamonds". Quite different, but both enjoyable... I haven't had the time to listen to more of their work, but they definitely are on my "learn more about these artists" list!

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 09:48:36 AM »

Yea, "dont bring me down" is a classic party track.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 09:50:27 AM »

I used to love ELO's orchestrated pop, but I thought their appeal waned when commercial slickness got the best of Lynne, starting with "Disco(very)". I agree that there is an emotional disconnect with most of the material that keeps me from returning to it very often.

Lynne's production approach was extremely disruptive to the artists he produced in the late 80s. Orbison is a good example: note how much more complimentary T-Bone Burnett's production on the "Mystery Girl" album is to Orbison's style than Lynne's when tracks produced by each are sequenced together. I also don't think Lynne was doing Brian any favors with "Let It Shine". Having said that, I'm pleased that Lynne's production approach matured during the 90s and more recent material has been quite listenable.

I always thought that ELO's "Turn To Stone" was influenced by "Heroes & Villains"; maybe it's a shared love of "Rhapsody In Blue" since other motifs from this Gershwin classic pop up on the "Out Of The Blue" album.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 11:38:33 AM »

I guess they were a singles band - kind of working class, less pretentious art rock - but, hey, so were the Byrds...

I think Lynne's underrated (except by Harrison and Petty); at worst, he knows a good melodic hook when he sees one, even if it's not always original.

I remember hearing Discovery and thinking that was it: no more. There was a falling off in quality after Out of the Blue (itself about half a side too long), though now I only have a compilation, I can hear SOME pretty good stuff after it.  Or maybe I've matured (I like to think so - on occasion, anyhow) because I like Last Train to London now. If I recall rightly, he started using a whole orchestra for El Dorado (Eldorado?) but dropped it somewhere down the line in favour of synthesisers - after Discovery, maybe.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 11:44:16 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 04:42:59 AM »

I guess they were a singles band - kind of working class, less pretentious art rock - but, hey, so were the Byrds...

I think Lynne's underrated (except by Harrison and Petty); at worst, he knows a good melodic hook when he sees one, even if it's not always original.

I remember hearing Discovery and thinking that was it: no more. There was a falling off in quality after Out of the Blue (itself about half a side too long), though now I only have a compilation, I can hear SOME pretty good stuff after it.  Or maybe I've matured (I like to think so - on occasion, anyhow) because I like Last Train to London now. If I recall rightly, he started using a whole orchestra for El Dorado (Eldorado?) but dropped it somewhere down the line in favour of synthesisers - after Discovery, maybe.

Yeah, the albums as a whole start to struggle a bit after Out of the Blue but there are terrific tracks on every album that almost make it worth it.  A lot of those great tracks are skipped over on the many compilation albums out there.  Even up until there last album together, there were some great ones.  For anyone who hasn't heard them search out their final singles Getting to the Point and So Serious.  Great tunes.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 06:33:07 PM »

I adore ELO. Almost as much as BW and The Beatles. And yes, I'm serious.

I've never appreciated their LP's pre-A New World Record, but after that, they really took off. Their whole albums are great. They definitely aren't purely a singles band, maybe their early albums, but after 1976 the albums were increasingly coherent. Each track brings something different to the table, and the production is amazing. I admit, Lynne slipped a little near ELO's end in the 80's (the production gets cheesy at times, but so did Macca's and certainly BW/BB's as well)
    ELO's albums are pretty deep as far as production and they get better on repeated listening....headphone masterpieces (guilty pleasures as BW is to us all...), and Lynne (Disco Stu) is a master at production, hooks and gorgeous melodies. His methods for recording drums and guitars are incredible (lots of secrets involved)
Plus, I'm a sucker for songs with a lot of different sections and parts, plus vocoders and great synth sounds. Definitely the 70's/early 80's Beatles. Midnight Blue is probably the most beautiful song Lynne has written.
And hey, Randy Newman even wrote a song about them....

Did anyone else order that crazy re-issue of Out of the Blue? It's incredible, I'm psyched.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007, 02:18:36 AM »

Did someone say he's relaunching the band?  I thought they fell out big time.

Honk! Honk!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2007, 11:33:25 AM »

Did someone say he's relaunching the band?  I thought they fell out big time.

I don't know about relaunching the band, but he did put out an album under the ELO name a few years ago.  The album is called Zoom and may as well have been a solo album.  That being said, it is a killer album!  Very ELO sounding despite the fact that the rest of them aren't present.  Actually, there is one ELO tie on there.  Richard Tandy played piano on one track.  Also some great George and Ringo guestspots.  I don't know if he has any further plans with the band.

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2007, 06:29:00 PM »

Probably not. As with BW, Lynne doesn't necessarily need ELO. He's recognized as ELO as far as all the work. Also, Boston rocker Bleu recently made an amazing ELO/Lynne tribute titled L.E.O.
It's probably the best power pop album of 2006. The production is dead-on Lynne as are the arrangements songs, lyrics etc. Incredible. It's also as good (if not better) than any ELO album...
Check it out at
http://myspace.com/bleuleo
whichonespink
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2007, 11:06:48 AM »

I always thought that ELO's "Turn To Stone" was influenced by "Heroes & Villains"; maybe it's a shared love of "Rhapsody In Blue" since other motifs from this Gershwin classic pop up on the "Out Of The Blue" album.

For the definitive influence of H&V, check out the melody to the first line of The Way Life's Meant To Be Wink
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2007, 04:58:12 PM »

Also, check out the more appropriate "Across The Border" on Out Of The Blue. Complete with frantic H&V vibe, paired with blaring Mexican horns.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B0000025DV001004/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_004/105-9503315-9066025
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 02:14:06 AM »

Reminds me of San Miguel meets Heroes and Villains!

Honk! Honk!
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2007, 07:49:11 AM »

Love ELO.

Living Thing and Confusion are my faves.
Great songs great production and I love his drum sound.
And there's always good humour in there too.

Someone mentioned The Idle Race. Their stuff is great too.  But still Very ELO.
So I can't understand folk who say ELO blow but the Idle Race were great/

RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 08:58:30 PM »

Jeff Lynne's production techniques are far more meticulous than BW's. Whether it's better or not is subjective, but according to this Recording Engineer's book I recently bought, Lynne's compression obsession is noted. He's pretty much Phil Spector without any reverb as far as his kitchen sink productions.
Some other trademark Lynne techniques....listen to any ELO song or Lynne production post 1976 and you'll hear them.

Background vocals are the same volume as the leads

Barely any reverb (if any at all)

That notorious drum sound (I love it, actually)

Acoustic guitars (usually 12-string) used nearly as percussion, as they are played without any strumming variation and used to punctuate the snares

As with the metronomic acoustics, very metronomic rhythms

No hi-hats

Big "falling down stairs" drum fills, usually ending with timpanis. Often flanged or hard panned.

Slide guitar, vocoders, "Oh Darling" esque staccato guitar lines...

Can anyone add to the list?

Jeff Lynne is probably my production hero. Say what you will, but his style is immediately identifiable...his 80's stuff is a bit dodgy though (i.e Tom Petty's "Learning to Fly" is ultra corny and too 80's." Lynne seems to have gotten back to the Abbey Road/White Album style of production. Underrated pop-genius in every aspect.....maybe except the fro and the giant sunglasses...
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 08:19:31 AM »

I love the acoustic guitar in Jeff Lynne's productions!  The lush sound he gets by overdubbing many tracks of six and twelve string guitars and capoing them for many different chord positions and sounds are amazing.

I am also one who thinks that his drum sound is top notch.

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2007, 10:34:49 AM »

I love his work with Petty on Full Moon Fever.  The new one's not bad but it's no classic.

Honk! Honk!
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx