gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:21:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: That Lucky Old Sun  (Read 6355 times)
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2007, 11:34:30 AM »

Is the title of a new BW song suite!?!?

Have a look at the official site, which says that it includes 4 sections, with spoken-word interludes.

I dont know anything about this, but maybe some of the more in-the-loop members of the board can fill us in...?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2007, 11:42:40 AM »

Is the title of a new BW song suite!?!?

Have a look at the official site, which says that it includes 4 sections, with spoken-word interludes.

I dont know anything about this, but maybe some of the more in-the-loop members of the board can fill us in...?

Thanks, I didn't realise it was on the official site. I don't think anyone knows any more than the press release. See the BW New Project thread for more discussion on this.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »

is that like the Frankie Laine/JLL song?
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2007, 02:08:57 PM »

I keep wondering if maybe "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" will be involved somehow...??  Huh

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 02:39:53 PM »

Press release from bw.com

BRIAN WILSON RETURNS TO SOUTHBANK CENTRE WITH NEWLY COMMISSIONED SUITE
For Six Nights Only in September 2007 at The Royal Festival Hall

Having called London's Royal Festival Hall his "spiritual home away from home," Brian Wilson, legendary writer, producer, arranger and performer of some of the most unforgettable and inspirational music in rock history, returns in September 2007 for six nights with a concert repertoire highlighted by the world premiere of a brand-new work. Commissioned by Southbank Centre as part of its opening season, Wilson reveals that the piece "is called That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative), and as he describes it, "will consist of four ‘rounds’, with interspersed spoken word."

In addition to that premiere, there will be quite a few other surprises in the concerts: Brian will be digging even deeper into his remarkable song catalogue and with his formidable ten-piece band, will be presenting a number of his classic compositions that he has never performed live as well at least one song in honour of a very important anniversary.

Glenn Max, Producer, Meltdown Festival & Music Programmes at Southbank Centre says: ‘Despite his status as a 'pop genius' and his countless musical achievements, Brian has always had to struggle courageously against adversial forces and a historic lack of support from the industry and those around him. I'm very proud to be part of an organisation that has consistently backed Brian's most creative work. He deserves this.’

Brian Wilson previously performed at the Royal Festival Hall in January and June 2002 and in February 2004, when the South Bank was home to the world premiere of Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE. The January 2002 dates were his first ever performances as a solo artist in the UK and at those shows, Wilson performed nearly two-dozen of his greatest hits including the much celebrated recording, Pet Sounds in its entirety.

The four January 2002 concerts sold out immediately and were greeted with such acclaim that when Wilson was invited to perform at the Queen’s Jubilee Concert in June of that year, he returned to Royal Festival Hall for two more SRO nights. Among those who attended Brian’s Festival Hall performances were, Paul McCartney, Roger Daltrey, Eric Clapton, Elvis Costello, Richard Ashcroft, and others. The gigs were cited as the "Concert of the Year" by most UK critics. Brian Wilson and the Royal Festival Hall were honoured with the 'Live Event of the Year Award' (2002) by Time Out Magazine.

In February 2004, for the first time in his 40-year career, Wilson performed his mythical unreleased masterpiece, Smile, live at the Royal Festival Hall, propelling that symphonic work to global acclaim, a gold record in the UK and worldwide sales approaching one million. Those 2004 concerts included classic Beach Boys and Brian Wilson favourites as well as selections from his most recent solo album Gettin’ In Over My Head (Rhino 2004), his first 21st -century studio album.

Born and raised in California, Wilson co-founded The Beach Boys with his two younger brothers Carl and Dennis, cousin Mike Love and school friend Alan Jardine. They became the most successful American rock band in history.

The Beach Boys and Wilson are responsible for such spectacular works as Good Vibrations, I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, California Girls, Wouldn't It Be Nice, Don't Talk (Put Your Head On My Shoulder), God Only Knows and I Just Wasn't Made For These Times.

Listings Information:
Brian Wilson
Southbank Centre
Royal Festival Hall – 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16 September, 7.30pm
Tickets £55 £45 £35
Ticket Office: 0871 663 2500 / www.southbankcentre.co.uk
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 02:43:32 PM »

I wonder who's going to be the narrator of this piece? Given that it's a commissioned work, it could be someone high-profile.

In any case, I hope they'll bring this show back to the States, and not just to California and the greater NYC-DC nexus.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »

Maybe Al jardine. It worked for Beaks Of Eagles...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 09:05:58 AM »

I wonder how far along the composing of this piece is?

No info on that, and only pretty vague description of the project.
Mithras
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 12:33:12 PM »

Maybe "Can´t Wait Too Long"?
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »

I wonder who's going to be the narrator of this piece? Given that it's a commissioned work, it could be someone high-profile.

Hmmm .. I wonder if it'll be Stephen Kalinich.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Pim_Derks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »

I just hope they'll add some dates in Europe too...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 08:34:36 PM »

Has anyone heard "The War Of The Worlds" album from I think about 78. Richard Burton was fantastic as the narrator.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 08:39:59 PM »

Isn't he dead?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 02:03:52 PM »

Well yes. My point I guess is that the right choice. I remember a few of the tunes and Justin Haywood of the Moody Blues on some vocals but Burton stood out.
As a previous post mentioned, to debut a work live is a gamble. SMiLE was so well known it was worth the chance but Brians track record of late does not inspire confidence.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2007, 05:05:39 PM »

OK, Brian's management team, I'll make a GUESS. Are you happy now!

I don't think it will be anyone from Brian's band. That would be too anti-climactic. My first guess would be Steven Kalinich. I mean, he is a poet and that's what many poets do - read poetry. His name has been popping up in conjunction with Brian the last couple of years. And maybe "California Feeling" (words by S. Kalinich) will surface in the presentation. I hope I'm wrong; I still haven't forgiven Kalinich for "A Friend Like You".

My next guess would be Al Jardine. Maybe they feel that Al will be hanging around for awhile and they need more for him to do. Plus, he did such a great job with lyric reading on "Beaks Of Eagles" and "Santa Ana Winds". Roll Eyes As long as he syncopates...

And, if Stevie K. and Alan aren't available, maybe they could invite the old poet and shaman himself, Jim Morrison. He's still alive you know.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2007, 05:13:01 PM »

My favorite two narrative voices of all time: Tom Waits and Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart).

Chance of it being either one: 0%.

Darn.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2007, 05:17:44 PM »

My next guess would be Al Jardine. Maybe they feel that Al will be hanging around for awhile and they need more for him to do. Plus, he did such a great job with lyric reading on "Beaks Of Eagles" and "Santa Ana Winds". Roll Eyes As long as he syncopates...

Not in front of all these people...   Cheesy

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2007, 11:30:41 PM »

As long as he cleans it up afterwards.

Nah, Jim would get his dick out.  Worse than that, he might subject us to his lyrics!

Honk! Honk!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2007, 01:44:54 AM »

And, if Stevie K. and Alan aren't available, maybe they could invite the old poet and shaman himself, Jim Morrison. He's still alive you know.

Ah yes, I can hear it now -

"Brian, I want to kill you... Melinda, I want to...."

Uh, maybe not.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 08:12:22 PM »

We were just talking about him...

Frankie Laine, who had a hit with "That Lucky Old Sun" in the 1950's, passed away at age 93. There you go Brian, you still have another 30 years left! police
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 10:29:27 AM »

Why not James Earl Jones? He was the voice of Darth Vader, and Brian loves space, so...

LOL

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 07:42:24 PM »

Has anyone heard "The War Of The Worlds" album from I think about 78. Richard Burton was fantastic as the narrator.

i had forgotten all about this lp..i have a copy somewhere in my house filed away with about 1000 other lp's. and yes, it was good...

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 07:43:45 PM »

Ah yes, I can hear it now -

"Brian, I want to kill you... Melinda, I want to...."

Uh, maybe not.

oh man..i sure hope not!!....   Shocked  Cheesy

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
SG7
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 12:18:13 PM »

Its really going to be 2 hours of Ding Dang and surf song at the end  LOL LOL
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile