gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680772 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 01:36:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: File Extension Format to Burn CD  (Read 4815 times)
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2007, 05:46:20 PM »

Hi All,

Question that has been driving me nuts for a few weeks and wonder if anyone here can help. 

Does anyone know a standard file format for music files that I can burn to CD or DVD that will actually play on
a standard CD player?  I've tried several including the standard MP3 and WMA but most CD players won't read
that.  Is there any particluar file extension that I should be formatting these songs in so that a standard CD player
can read and play them??

Dave
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:18:00 AM »

I'm thinking the issue may be more with your player(s) than the file extension. I have burned many cds using mp3 and wma (as well as several other formats) without trouble. But I do know that some players--particularly older ones--have trouble with some formats. Or perhaps you aren't finishing the burn completely? (I'm not questioning your ability here! Just making sure.) Can you see that you have burned anything at all onto disc--for example, can you see the line on the bottom of the disc that indicates information has been burned to it, or can you see that tracks are present on the disc when you put it in a player?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 07:36:10 AM »

Hi Luther,

Once I complete the burn, all of the songs show up on the CD on my computer as .cda format (I burn MP3 or WMA) and they play fine.  When I put that same CD in a standard CD player stereo, it reads 00 on tracks and won't play.  I am sure it probably has to do with the player's capability, and I am going to try one on both my DVD player and other CD players (including my car) to see if any will play it.  My portable will not read the CD.

I noticed I can't burn a .cda format (it's not a choice using Audition) but that is the file extension all CDs show on my computer.

Just thought maybe I was burning in the wrong format.

Dave
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 01:30:29 PM »

a standard audio CD will have the tracks in aiff format. If you use, for example, iTunes  or Toast to burn an audio rather than an Mp3 CD then this is what you will get.

All CD players should play aiff format - some will play mp3 (but by no means all)
However, some CD players do not like cd-r discs (as opposed to commercially produced discs.

Seems to me your main problem is not using aiff format, but the CD-R issue may be a problem too on older players
Hope this helps
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 01:32:40 PM »

also - some players that will play CD-r discs will not play CD-RW(rewritable) discs
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 01:36:38 PM »

Finally - I believe that the CD has to be formatted in a certain way (with indices) in order to play on an audio player. I don't think it's enough to burn a disc of .aiff tracks. A program like iTunes or Toast / Jam will do this for you.

How are you writing the discs??
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2007, 01:48:01 PM »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the input and I will try the aiff format and see if it works better. 

I am burning them (CD-RW) straight from Adobe Audition 1.5 using the CD project section to import the list of finished tracks for burn.  I have been importing them into the project as either mp3 or wma files which is how I generally export them from the program.

My choices in Audition for saving the music tracks to export files include:

.dbl
.sa.
.wav
.iff
.svx
.aif
.snd
.voc
.vox
.dwd
.au
.snd
.smp
.wma
.pcm
.raw

the aif is listed as apple AIFF as is the .snd option.

Dave
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2007, 01:50:13 PM »

Sorry, also of course mp3 format is available in that list as are a wide variety of wav types.

Dave
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 02:18:15 PM »

Try using a CD-r rather than a CD-RW  (not many players other than computers can deal with these) and look for an option in Audition to write an AUDIO disc rather than a DATA or MP3 disc

AIFF i've just found out is an "apple" thing, but if I put a commercial disc in my mac I see AIFF files. Maybe it automatically comverts .cda files to this format. As you said, .cda files are how music is stored on a commercial CD but they cannot be stored in this format on a computer.

Good luck
DJF
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2007, 03:42:38 PM »

Thanks for all of the help and input.  I will experiment a bit this week and see what I can get to work.  I'll try using CD-R first with AIFF formatting and work from there. 

Dave
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2007, 07:43:52 PM »

Try ignoring Pete, too. He is not very clever.

(Sorry Pete. Also, just talked to Kyle, who is pretty interested in the idea of a Sept. London trip...can the city withstand it?)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
PeteS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 12:26:36 AM »

Try ignoring Pete, too. He is not very clever.

(Sorry Pete. Also, just talked to Kyle, who is pretty interested in the idea of a Sept. London trip...can the city withstand it?)

We'd be happy to see Kyle!!!!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx