gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:41:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Other Spector projects besides Back to Mono set  (Read 5772 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2007, 07:30:20 AM »

alright, we know Spector did all those singles from the back to mono set, but what else has he done? i know he worked with the Ramones on Rock and roll High school (i think that's what it's called), I've heard Harrison's Let it down, which is produced by spector, did he do the rest of ALl things must Pass?  obviously he did the let it be album. He worked with Lennon on the Rock and Roll album. What other projects what he involved with? what do you guys feel about these projects?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 01:55:18 PM »

He did a pretty good/slightly boring album with Dion around '74ish and a craptastic record with leonard cohen later in the 70's.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 03:10:25 PM »

He did a pretty good/slightly boring album with Dion around '74ish and a craptastic record with leonard cohen later in the 70's.

Death of a Ladies Man is the name of the Cohen album and yes, it is craptastic!  It was his first bad record.  All other things Cohen are fantastic though. 

Spector did do the entire All Things Must Pass album with George Harrison and it is among both of their best work IMO.

From what I have read, Spector also did some tracks with Celine Dion a few years back that were scrapped.  I've read that Spector has threatened to release these tapes and Dion has taken action to block him so they must be pretty bad!  Of course, anything involving Celine Dion is bad so these sessions must have been exceptionally bad!!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 09:45:20 PM »

i forgot the 45: try some, buy some...i love that song!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 12:17:40 AM »

Most of Lennon's best work...including the wonderful single"Instant Karma"......
and what if?....rememeber that bizzare joan rivers tonight show interview where she asks about groupies and brian goes off on a rant about phil spector records and how he might produce the next beach boys album......man.....those were/wern't the days......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 06:40:33 AM »

oh man, good call.  there were too many instances in brian's life when he almost did something...shame....

~post of the century~
-Mikie

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 01:46:34 AM »

He did some work a couple of years ago with British Band Starsailor on their 2nd album I think, then they sacked him!
I really like the Dion album (Di mucci not Celine!!), but mainly down to Dions voice. The Leonard Cohen album is craptastic, though the title track is cool but the rest of it sounds literally like the sound of slow death.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Artie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 10:05:05 AM »

Most of Lennon's best work...including the wonderful single"Instant Karma"......

Most notably Plastic Ono Band and Imagine (with scenes from the studio peppered throughout the movie of the same name).

Listening to POB is interesting when one considers that Spector, the master of the wall of sound, was asked to produce an album that never had more than Guitar or Piano, Bass, drums, and lead vocal. It could have been done on 4-track. This is part of the reason why the album works - Spector tried to make this minimalist instrumental approach sound like a wall of sound.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 11:42:55 AM »

Dylan and BW both visited the Celine Dion sessions.  What a waste.

Honk! Honk!
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 04:33:37 AM »

Dylan and BW both visited the Celine Dion sessions.  What a waste.

Say it ain't so!!  I would hope that Brian and especially Dylan would not desire to take part in a Celine Dion session.   Cry

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:19:55 AM »

No, they just went to watch - Spector at work again, I guess.

Honk! Honk!
SG7
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 12:35:59 PM »

Wow she could have covered "River Deep Mountain High", "These Times They Are A Chang-in" AND "Surfin' USA". Sung in an operatic style  LOL LOL LOL
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 11:42:19 PM »

Before Spector was arrested for murder, U2 and The Vines were talking with Spector about producing them.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 04:44:07 AM »

Before Spector was arrested for murder, U2 and The Vines were talking with Spector about producing them.

U2 with Spector may have been very interesting if Edge and Bono came to the table with a set of quality songs, something they haven't done since the early 90's.

The Vines, well, I don't think they could do any worse than they already have!

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 04:00:55 AM »

I can think of several people who'd rather be charged with murder than work with U2  Razz

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
halblaineisgood
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 07:15:11 AM »

there
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 06:24:25 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 06:19:21 PM »

Thanks for posting that link.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2007, 08:00:30 PM »

I for one am a HUGE fan of Death of a Ladies' Man! It's seriously one of my favourite albums. The Dion album (Born to be with You) is incredible as well. He did a full album with the Ramones (End of the Century), not just Rock 'N' Roll High School. The album as a whole isn't amazing (I think primarily due to songwriting, rather than Spector), but R&R Radio, R&R High School, and their rendition of Baby, I Love You are so amazing that they fully justify purchasing the album. Let's see, there's also the album the The Checkmates LTD (Love Is All We Have to Give). I know one of the songs off of that album is on the box set, but I don't remember which one, maybe the title song. It's a solid album, but I wouldn't call it groundbreaking. It's worth checking out, however--especially for the title cut and the Hair suite. There's Menlove Ave. by John Lennon (outtakes from the Rock & Roll sessions, many of which are produced by Phil). I have it but haven't yet listened to it, so I can't comment. There's Some Time in New York by John and Yoko. It's got some great cuts, but is a little boring overall for my tastes. He did CO-produce the entire All Things Must Pass album, obviously a MUST-HAVE if you don't already, as well as Concert for Bangla Desh. He also co-produced Seasons of Glass by Yoko Ono, which is wretched in my opinion, but I'm sure many people probably love it, so check it out and don't take my word for it.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx