gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:32:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: cigarette smoking in the beach boys  (Read 41624 times)
mtaber
« Reply #75 on: January 20, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »

Those newsletters of mine in the old days were a lot of fun, through them I got to know a lot of very nice people... and Andrew, too!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »

Those newsletters of mine in the old days were a lot of fun, through them I got to know a lot of very nice people... and Andrew, too!

I have a copy of "Marty Taber" (reworded Johnny Carson") b/w "Celebrate The Newsletter" - if you thought Marty's literary skills were somewhat lacking...  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:44:28 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2010, 12:51:34 AM »

I have a copy of "Matry Taber" (reworded Johnny Carson") b/w "Celebrate The Newsletter" - if you thought Marty's literary skills were somewhat lacking...  Roll Eyes

police is that legal? If not, I'll have to confiscate it, Sir.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mtaber
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2010, 03:26:44 AM »

Andrew - I would respond, but I'm currently in litigation with Mike Love over writing credits...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:02 AM »

Andrew - I would respond, but I'm currently in litigation with Mike Love over writing credits...

Ah, trying to get credit for Country Love again, I see.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2010, 03:46:36 AM »

I have a copy of "Matry Taber" (reworded Johnny Carson") b/w "Celebrate The Newsletter" - if you thought Marty's literary skills were somewhat lacking...  Roll Eyes

police is that legal? If not, I'll have to confiscate it, Sir.

Oddly, it is - MT cut it during a visit from Susumu Ogata back in, oh... late 70s ?

mtaber
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:32 AM »

Yeah, Susumu and I did those songs (I use the term loosely) in 1979 or '80, maybe even '81... Carol Kaye could give more detailed information...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2010, 05:07:23 AM »

Forgive me for quoting a near 3 year old post, but...

In fact, the only photo of any of the BB I've seen with cigs is Carl (koff, in my own book) circa 1965. Brian, of course, smoked like a chimney during the gigs of the early 80s.

Andrew...dude...there's a picture of Brian in the late 70s (when he got skinny for a bit and had his hair cut short) in your own book and he's got a smoke in his hand! LOL

I also just realized this thread is older than my daughter...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »

Rob Dean,
My name was almost written correctly. It is Eddy Feiken.

Hey Eddy ,
Sorry about the tippo on your name (close as it was) , BUT hey good to see you on-board !!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2010, 10:25:21 AM »

Now that we're at it: what were the favourite brands? I recall Denny preferring unfiltered Larks (according to Gaines) and Brian smoking Marlboros endlessly. Am I right?

Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2010, 04:53:39 PM »

Now that we're at it: what were the favourite brands? I recall Denny preferring unfiltered Larks (according to Gaines) and Brian smoking Marlboros endlessly. Am I right?

i've wondered this as well
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2010, 08:52:12 PM »

Somwhere in this thread, somebody wondered about Brian smoking in the early 1980's during the second Landy "treatment". If you watch the footage of Barbra Ann from the July 4th 1983 show, Brian has a cigarette in the neck of his bass.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:20 PM »

anyone know what Carl smoked. I think i see a Pall Mall pack in the photos of the 1967 Hawaii rehearsal. i could be totally wrong though
MBE
« Reply #88 on: January 24, 2010, 10:55:31 PM »

I think I remember an interview with Al that said Brian started smoking the last out of the brothers.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 25, 2010, 03:43:54 PM »

Mike said that Carl was a heavy smoker and you can see him having a cig on outtakes of the "Summer days..."-cover.

Even clutching a cig on the actual cover  Shocked

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 25, 2010, 10:51:26 PM »

I was wondering, did Carl ever smoke onstage? I know there is footage of him in the studio recording while smoking. I was just wondering if during any concerts, Carl put a cigarette in the neck of his guitar.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:46 AM »

Not sure about Carl but Mike certainly did during their unedited performance of Heroes and Villains at the Wollman Rink, Central Park, New York NY, July 2nd. He can be spotted with a cig just before the start of the second verse.  Cool Guy

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2010, 07:58:43 PM »

Not sure about Carl but Mike certainly did during their unedited performance of Heroes and Villains at the Wollman Rink, Central Park, New York NY, July 2nd. He can be spotted with a cig just before the start of the second verse.

thats a little shocking to me
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2010, 11:21:05 AM »

Cannot believe how well Carl's voice held up given how much he smoked over time. His voice changed over time, sure, but he still sounded damn good up until his passing. Pretty incredible.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »

Instead of starting a new topic, I might as well post it here since runners already touched upon the subject:

Did Carl ever comment on how his voice changed through the years? Not like there's anything that strange about it, especially since he was so young for the earliest lead vocals, but you can't help but notice how big a difference there is between, say, "Pom Pom Play Girl", "God Only Knows", "Darlin'", "Our Sweet Love" and "Keepin' the Summer Alive" to name just a few. And I don't mean different vocal approaches here; of course that's one part of it, but these five songs almost sound like they're sung by five different (all highly talented) singers. Carl's thoughts? Your thoughts?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »

Carl told my spouse in 1985 (not long after he quit smoking) that he wished he'd taken better care of his voice over the years.

MBE
« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2010, 08:22:27 PM »

I really hear a change in Carl's voice on the Surf's Up album. Then after 1981-82 it again got huskier. He still sounded like Carl to me though.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 29, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »

Hey, if he sounded that good without taking care of his voice, imaging how it would've sounded if he had...

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 30, 2010, 12:26:01 PM »

Not sure about Carl but Mike certainly did during their unedited performance of Heroes and Villains at the Wollman Rink, Central Park, New York NY, July 2nd. He can be spotted with a cig just before the start of the second verse.  Cool Guy

So Mike actually smoked, that is shocking.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 01, 2010, 01:48:20 AM »

So Mike actually smoked, that is shocking.

Can he be sued? For having been a corrupting influence on minors, or something? Just a thought...

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx