gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:01:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: cigarette smoking in the beach boys  (Read 41128 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 01, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »

I really hear a change in Carl's voice on the Surf's Up album. Then after 1981-82 it again got huskier. He still sounded like Carl to me though.
I have a theory that Carl's voice changed during his drug and alchohol phase. Listen to his voice on "Holland", then listen to it on "Keepin' The Summer Alive". Carl's voice is quite a bit better than it was on the "15 Big Ones" through "LA Light Album" albums, but the tone has changed. It's like those two or three years of abuse lowered his voice by an octive or two. If you listen to live recordings from around 1979 and on, he could never again get his voice quite as high on "God Only Knows", for example.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2010, 05:10:57 PM »

i'm a Lucky Strike smoker. it would be cool to find out one of the Beach Boys smoked luckies...not that smoking is cool...
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2014, 02:30:12 AM »

Cannot believe how well Carl's voice held up given how much he smoked over time. His voice changed over time, sure, but he still sounded damn good up until his passing. Pretty incredible.

Yeah, his voice matured, but in a positive way that happens with age. I know he gave up on cigs quite early on...and its a shame it caught up with him in the worst way it could have. Atleast he kept his voice until the end.

Not sure about Carl but Mike certainly did during their unedited performance of Heroes and Villains at the Wollman Rink, Central Park, New York NY, July 2nd. He can be spotted with a cig just before the start of the second verse.  Cool Guy

So Mike actually smoked, that is shocking.

Can he be sued? For having been a corrupting influence on minors, or something? Just a thought...

He was known to tell people "Smoke em if ya got em."

halblaineisgood
« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2014, 02:36:57 AM »

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:52:11 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: July 27, 2014, 05:23:21 AM »

This must be the most often revived after year-long gaps thread of all time! Smiley

I really think it was the blow that trashed Brian and Denny's voices. Booze and smokes didn't help, of course.

If "blow" means cocaine in this context (had to look that up as English isn't my first language), why does cocaine ruin one's voice? You don't eat it, do you?

Carl's voice never got as bad as Brian's or Dennis' but there is a significant change in tone from vocals recorded in the mid-60s to leads heard on the "Surf's Up" album and beyond.

Personally I'd say the "maturing" of Carl's voice is evident on Holland first, but only slightly. It's really strange that between Holland and 15BO Brian's and Dennis' voices got raspy and hoarse, Carl's got significantly darker sounding while at the same time Mike's got significantly more nasal than before. Only Al sounds like before, and still does.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2014, 06:17:19 AM »

This must be the most often revived after year-long gaps thread of all time! Smiley

I really think it was the blow that trashed Brian and Denny's voices. Booze and smokes didn't help, of course.

If "blow" means cocaine in this context (had to look that up as English isn't my first language), why does cocaine ruin one's voice? You don't eat it, do you?
Carl's voice never got as bad as Brian's or Dennis' but there is a significant change in tone from vocals recorded in the mid-60s to leads heard on the "Surf's Up" album and beyond.

Ah, what do you know. A Beach Boys question I can professionally answer (I'm a speech therapist). Cocaine can have a negative effect on the voice in several ways. If it's snorted, it can produce a "drip" that goes down the back of the pharynx and into the vocal cords.  The vocal cords swell and the voice becomes hoarse. Singing on the swollen vocal cords can cause permanent damage.  Smoking it results in the same kind of damage that occurs with cigarettes.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2014, 06:33:24 AM »

Depending on how you take it - sure, cocaine can severely damage your voice. "Dripping" cocaine injures the vocal chords, because - basically - the stuff goes down your throat.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:39:17 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: July 31, 2014, 01:34:23 PM »

BTW, going back on the comments about Carl stopping smoking in the '80s...a guy on a Rickenbacker forum who says he toured with the Beach Boys says that Carl didn't actually give up smoking until not long before his death.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2014, 05:18:32 PM »

Ah, what do you know. A Beach Boys question I can professionally answer (I'm a speech therapist). Cocaine can have a negative effect on the voice in several ways. If it's snorted, it can produce a "drip" that goes down the back of the pharynx and into the vocal cords.  The vocal cords swell and the voice becomes hoarse. Singing on the swollen vocal cords can cause permanent damage.  Smoking it results in the same kind of damage that occurs with cigarettes.
[/quote]

I read somewhere that Paul McCartney tried cocaine a few times in the late 60s but gave it up because it made his throat feel funny and he was afraid it would affect his voice.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2014, 05:37:50 AM »

Thank you very much for this, Cyncie! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2014, 09:36:18 AM »

BTW, going back on the comments about Carl stopping smoking in the '80s...a guy on a Rickenbacker forum who says he toured with the Beach Boys says that Carl didn't actually give up smoking until not long before his death.

seems 'unlikely' he would develop throat cancer if he stopped smoking a decade earlier as claimed.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2014, 10:37:29 AM »

seems 'unlikely' he would develop throat cancer if he stopped smoking a decade earlier as claimed.
I don't believe that he died of throat cancer, more like lung cancer. My uncle died of lung cancer a few years back and he quit smoking back in 1967. Smoking can take its toll many, many years after the fact, along with all the other sh*t that pollutes the air that we breathe.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: August 02, 2014, 12:03:33 PM »

It's already well established that it started in his lungs and spread to his brain.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 02, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »

NOT that it really matters WHAT it is/was called, but most sites I googled refer to Carl's as Lung cancer
That being said (  I don't know if this has been previously addressed) My sense is cancer is generally attributed to the root organ/cause, no matter where it may later spread

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 02, 2014, 12:59:08 PM »

Carl's voice is quite a bit better than it was on the "15 Big Ones" through "LA Light Album" albums, but the tone has changed. It's like those two or three years of abuse lowered his voice by an octive or two. If you listen to live recordings from around 1979 and on, he could never again get his voice quite as high on "God Only Knows", for example.

Not to be too nit-picky but I thought I'd point out that while his tone changed, it certainly wasn't lowered by an octave or two. For perspective of what that means, the entire melody of "God Only Knows" covers only slightly more than one octave. (An octave plus a minor third, to be specific, from an F# to an A an octave above it.) For someone's voice to lower by more than an octave, it wouldn't just be some minor struggle to hit a few of the higher notes. Also, tone isn't the same as pitch, so when you say the tone has changed, that would be a separate thing from a voice lowering in pitch (be it by an octave or two, or however much).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 10, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »

In the Good Vibrations from Central Park concert, Mike is either smoking a cigarette or a joint during Heroes and Villains.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 10, 2014, 03:45:05 PM »

In the Good Vibrations from Central Park concert, Mike is either smoking a cigarette or a joint during Heroes and Villains.

I used to think that, but having seen the footage numerous times, I'm beginning to think that it may have been something as innocuous as a stick of incense.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 10, 2014, 03:58:41 PM »

Funny, since the anti-drug song follows immediately after Heroes and Villains. You might be correct  Smokin

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 10, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »

Wow, stop the presses. Mike Love smoked pot now and then in the 60's and 70's. Mike has never claimed to have been 100% drug free his entire life, but unlike so many others, he seemed to give it all up during a time when the awful white powder made its way through the entire entertainment industry. I'm glad he did.

Does anyone remember a brief news blurb from circa 1994 when Mike's gardener was busted for growing plants on Mike's property? I'm sure I didn't dream this.

Is it possible Bruce never tried pot?

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:04:41 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 10, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »

I really hear a change in Carl's voice on the Surf's Up album. Then after 1981-82 it again got huskier. He still sounded like Carl to me though.
I have a theory that Carl's voice changed during his drug and alchohol phase. Listen to his voice on "Holland", then listen to it on "Keepin' The Summer Alive". Carl's voice is quite a bit better than it was on the "15 Big Ones" through "LA Light Album" albums, but the tone has changed. It's like those two or three years of abuse lowered his voice by an octive or two. If you listen to live recordings from around 1979 and on, he could never again get his voice quite as high on "God Only Knows", for example.

I thought Carl's singing was superb on L.A. The only albums where his vocals suffered (a bit) were 15 BIG ONES and LOVE YOU.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:27 PM »

It's not like I'm trying to nail the guy with anything - it'd be interesting to see him smoking pot onstage, considering he was one of the 'clean' members. I think he was into it as part of his image at the time though, since he does mention getting high with Buffalo Springfield to the entire audience at that Grateful Dead show.

I could see Bruce never once touching drugs, but it must have been hard, what with being in a world famous rock n roll band touring around the world all year.

MaryUSA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 10, 2014, 04:28:22 PM »

Hi all,

People smoked wo were in the music business.  Some might have not.  Yet most did.  If one reads the statistics people smoked a lot, even those not in the entertainment world from after the two world wars until a certain time.  Some could agrue that if you were abused smoking was self mediction or self abuse.  Most people in the world have done drugs more than we think. 

I have never smoked or done drugs.  One could say that eating candy cigarettes leads to smoking real ones.  That is a myth.  I eat candy cigarettes and I have NEVER smoked real ones.   
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 10, 2014, 05:17:50 PM »

Mike has never claimed to have been 100% drug free his entire life

He came pretty close to that claim during the 30th anniversary program:

"Cousin Mike sort of felt that the returns weren't all in yet on the indiscriminate usage of non-prescribed hallucinogenic drugs, therefore cousin Mike didn't take those [laughter] drugs."

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 10, 2014, 08:05:58 PM »

^
Ah, but notice he just said hallucinagenic drugs. Which, of course, leaves quite a bit of other kinds of drugs.
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 10, 2014, 11:35:57 PM »

So did any of them smoke Camel Straights? Or was it just Mike's special "Camel Incense"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:38:29 PM by The Contemporary Jarhead » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx