gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:03:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love it, or Leaf it?  (Read 15652 times)
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2007, 03:55:51 AM »

I'm so fuckin' tired of the Brian-bashing, revisionist crap that takes place on the Boards these days.  Mike's not the devil, but he ain't the saint Cam's been telling stories about for ten years either.  Why is it hip to downplay Brian's role these days? What a twisted view; guess he's just lucky Mike let him come along for the ride.

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2007, 08:10:51 AM »

Cam has his flaws, but if not for him we wouldn't have reached a point where even those who have a negative opinion about Mike will say "well, Mike's not the devil, but...". Cam has been shouted at for ten years but he soldiered on and now it's possible to have a dissent opinion without being ganged up by 'those who know better', at least in the Smiley Smile Board. If anyone who thinks there is too much 'Brian-bashing, revisionist crap' feels he's being disrespected by those who disagree, they should notice the moderators, because it ain't cool.

BTW, I have this impression that adamghost is the Adam from the 'Long Promised Road' project. If he's not, I guess my post made no sense whatsoever.  Grin

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »

I try to flaws daily.

At least 3 guys here think I'm an a**hole so it must be true.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2007, 11:08:44 AM »

Cam is not an a-hole.  He's just a hard working guy.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 05:34:36 AM by Swamp Pirate » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2007, 11:13:51 AM »

I try to flaws daily.

At least 3 guys here think I'm an a**hole so it must be true.

I don't think you are, dude.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Joel5001
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »

I dont think you're an asshole either, Cam.  I just think your desire to give Mike his due has gotten out of hand to the point that you give him credit he doesn't deserve AND you try to discredit Brian in the process.  Just my opinion.  But I really don't think you're an asshole.  You take a lot more abuse than just about anyone in BB fandom without getting nasty back, and I commend you for that.

You're still wrong about Mike though.   Cheesy

"First of all, let's get one thing straight: Crack is cheap. I make too much money to ever smoke crack." - Whitney Houston
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2007, 06:29:57 AM »

"he doesn't really "get" his own band"

Kinda sums it up, really.

Honk! Honk!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2007, 11:33:17 AM »

I know this is late in the thread, but I don't think what kind of person Mike Love is is that pertinent.  Well, it is, but in many ways, not so.  Mike brings people in the tent, and even Brian would say that, even now, with all the hard feelings that have been built up on both sides.   I've only seen the Beach Boys once live, and it was several years ago at a county fair, with just Mike and Bruce in the line-up.  Both the band and Mike gave very subpar performances.  But it didn't matter a whit to the people in the audience.  Plus, Mike's performances on record and his lyrics made a tremendous contribution to spreading the word for Brian Wilson.

Mike isn't necessarily the devil, he just is what he is.  He brings both bad and good to the equation.  I wouldn't want Beach Boys history without him, in spite of his stupid actions at times, or even the fact that he has contributed a lot of bad taste to both the Beach Boys' records and stage act.  When Dennis spoke of the Beach Boys being Brian's messengers, he was including Mike.  And you can't deliver a message without messengers.  Brian would never have done it alone, he doesn't do it alone even now.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2007, 11:43:49 AM »

In large part, I agree, forget marie.

Nobody is the devil. Nobody is god. As much as creating legends out of pop musicians (or writers or actors or painters or anyone else) seems to be something we like to do, simplifying them into somewhat two-dimensional, if super-human or sub-human, characters, it just isn't real. None of it is real. Granted, that is hard to remember when you get quotes in books, documentaries and so on that seem to tell a different story, but nobody is really two dimensional. Not Mike Love, not David Leaf, not Brian. When the story they tell is two dimensional, it is to sell records, books, and DVDs.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »

Great reply, forgetmarie. Im with you!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
MBE
« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2007, 01:22:02 AM »

[Good point about Brian's comments about Carl, too.

What were Brian's comments about Carl?

C'mon, fellas, don't keep me in suspense!

Hi everyone my vpu crashed but I am back. He basically said that Carl couldn't sing. He then says that Carl makes him mad cussed hm out. It was not pretty

Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2007, 01:37:36 AM »

Agree entirely.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 01:38:44 AM by salman rushdie » Logged

Honk! Honk!
MBE
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2007, 01:41:21 AM »

To add to the above, Brian is a very kind man in 90 percent of the interviews I have heard, read, or seen.
Joel I don''t think anybody wants to bash him, he just isn't qute the victim Leaf protrays him as. He's too smart for one thing. My point hs been that you don't need to put the others down to love Brian.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 21, 2007, 05:23:19 AM »

Re: David Leaf-- He loves to add to the myth of Brian Wilson, but this is what many writers do. It's like Peter Schaeffer and Mozart. The difference is that Brian is still alive, and so are many other people in the story.

I recently watched the BW biography that someone posted on Youtube. I think it's the A&E one. Anyway, David Leaf talked about that photo of Brian on Senior Ditch Day in his high school. As Peter Carlin says, Brian was upset in the picture because he didn't realize that the ink on his shirt was disappearing ink, so he's standing a bit apart from everyone and staring at the friend with a bemused expression on his face. Cute story.
But David Leaf points out the photo as a symbol of Brian's place in the BBs and in the world... "He wanted to be part of the group, but he just didn't quite fit in," or whatever he said. He didn't mention the ink on Brian's shirt. That's very writerly of David, I think. He takes material from real life and twists it to fit the symbolism that he has, to some degree, created.  But you know, the documentary makers used that comment. It does make the story more compelling!
Wilsonista
« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2007, 12:42:39 PM »

One thing that's stunned me  is how many people who live in L.A. have personally interacted with the Beach Boys.  I'm not talking about people I've met through Darian or Alan or music circles, but just random people I work with.  I bring this up because there were two people at the law firm I work at who mentioned that they knew Dennis Wilson personally at one time in their life and both spoke warmly about what a cool guy he was.  One of them also knew Mike Love and volunteered, without any provocation from me whatsoever, "he's an a**hole."  So, obviously, strong impressions were formed about each man.

Another person I know through non-Beach Boys associations but who was around the Beach Boys in the '70s commented to me, again without any provocation, that any time there was trouble in the band, it seemed to come from Mike Love.

I don't know Mike Love, never met him, but the impressions of people who do know him dovetail rather well with each other, as well as with the impressions I've gathered from watching interviews with him.  I think he's done his own legacy and that of his band tremendous damage over the years and he doesn't really "get" his own band, and he's solely focused on the commercial aspect of making music.  If it makes money, it's good.  If it doesn't, it's bad.  With the exception of his narrow philanthropic endeavors and interests (which, in general, don't translate well into song lyrics), that's where it begins and ends with him.

That said, I will offer up one defense of Mike Love:  it has to be difficult to be the one guy that shows up for work every day without fail, and gets the job done, and see all the love and affection being showered on the guys that are, from your perspective, the biggest fodaups and slackers in the band.  Since Mike has, from what I can tell, no real artistic sense whatsoever, that's all the equation is for him.  And it had to be very difficult to be in a band with the Wilsons (and probably with Mike Love, too).

Still, the Mike Love vibe is one I cannot get behind in any way, shape or form.  His cocky vibe was great on the early '60s records, but past that, neither the public or private persona are ones I can relate to at all.

Thank you, Adam.  That's exactly my feeling on Mike Love, only much more articulate.
Wilsonista
« Reply #90 on: February 21, 2007, 12:45:31 PM »

Cam has his flaws, but if not for him we wouldn't have reached a point where even those who have a negative opinion about Mike will say "well, Mike's not the devil, but...". Cam has been shouted at for ten years but he soldiered on and now it's possible to have a dissent opinion without being ganged up by 'those who know better', at least in the Smiley Smile Board. If anyone who thinks there is too much 'Brian-bashing, revisionist crap' feels he's being disrespected by those who disagree, they should notice the moderators, because it ain't cool.

BTW, I have this impression that adamghost is the Adam from the 'Long Promised Road' project. If he's not, I guess my post made no sense whatsoever.  Grin

You're correct, that post was from Adam Marsland.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx