gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681558 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 03:03:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian performing new project in the UK  (Read 7356 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »

From Q4Music:

Brian Wilson to play new work in UK

Having played sold-out shows there in 2002 and 2004, Brian Wilson returns to London's Royal Festival Hall in September for a six-night residency that will include the premiere of a brand-new work.

Commissioned by Southbank Centre for its opening season, Wilson said that the piece, entitled That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative), "will consist of four ‘rounds’, with interspersed spoken word."

The shows, taking place from 10-16 September, will see Wilson perform a diverse show of music including [c]lassic songs that he's never played live before as well as at least one song in honour of an important anniversary: 1967's Smiley Smile perhaps?

Tickets go on sale at 9am on Monday 29 January costing £35-£55.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:34:32 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 10:49:26 AM »

What the hell??!  Shocked

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 10:50:49 AM »

From Q4Music:
Commissioned by Southbank Centre for its opening season, Wilson said that the piece, entitled That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative), "will consist of four ‘rounds’, with interspersed spoken word."

Wow, sounds interesting! Like Fairy Tale Music perhaps? Wait, don't tell me jaded BW fans - there's been a demo of That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative) floating around since the early 80s ...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 10:51:59 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MDC
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 10:56:34 AM »

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/all-events/just-announced/music
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 12:57:46 PM »

Anyone annoyed that Brian always performs in the UK instead of the good ol USA...you know being that he was in America's band and all...

I look forward to hearing this stuff (if I get the chance)...and I'm curious what Smiley stuff he'd play. Maybe he'll pull out some Wild Honey songs as well?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 01:02:32 PM »

Well, "America's Band"  surely is a Mike Love concept / construct; I don't think Brian had anything to do with that. I think he's just pleased that we supported him through the mid / late sixties lean times. Also, the UK didn't get Al.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 01:04:50 PM by John » Logged
SG7
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 01:20:29 PM »

Keeping my fingers crossed i can go to this...
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »

Well, "America's Band"  surely is a Mike Love concept / construct; I don't think Brian had anything to do with that.

I guess that's right. Why should Brian's music be delimited just to the USA ? It's a universal thing.

Well, "Love you" has it's 30th anniversary this year. And hasn't Brian said to someone he called ("Katrina"-phonecalls) they were planing a Wild Honey-stereo-release for the 40th anniversary? I seem to remember that....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 01:35:31 PM »

Well, "Love you" has it's 30th anniversary this year. And hasn't Brian said to someone he called ("Katrina"-phonecalls) they were planing a Wild Honey-stereo-release for the 40th anniversary? I seem to remember that....

Shot in the dark: Pacific Ocean Blue is 30 years old too this year, right? "River Song"?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 03:29:04 PM »

Why the mystery? Why the surprise? Why so vague? Do they have so many problems selling tickets that they have to play this "game", keeping everybody in suspense? I guess they think they can (and will) sell tickets to fans who don't know what they're going to - other than seeing Brian Wilson and his "surprise"...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 03:51:25 PM »

From Q4Music:

Wow, sounds interesting! Like Fairy Tale Music perhaps? Wait, don't tell me jaded BW fans - there's been a demo of That Lucky Old Sun (a Narrative) floating around since the early 80s ...

You mean you've not heard it ? Shocked

[joke]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »

Anyone annoyed that Brian always performs in the UK instead of the good ol USA...you know being that he was in America's band and all...

I look forward to hearing this stuff (if I get the chance)...and I'm curious what Smiley stuff he'd play. Maybe he'll pull out some Wild Honey songs as well?

Right - Brian's NEVER EVER done any gigs in the US at all, has he ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2007, 04:01:40 PM »

He's gonna show Paul McCartney who's boss in the arena of "orchestral" works.  You just wait!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 04:31:58 PM »

I bet it's Adult Child, complete, and just like Darian would've done it!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »

Why the mystery? Why the surprise? Why so vague? Do they have so many problems selling tickets that they have to play this "game", keeping everybody in suspense? I guess they think they can (and will) sell tickets to fans who don't know what they're going to - other than seeing Brian Wilson and his "surprise"...

I kind of like the surprise. It's fun to play the guessing game, and maybe that's what Brian's "people" are thinking.
Why the cynicism?   Smiley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 06:24:51 PM »

When is the BW movie due? I would expect the concerts to highlight the flick soundtrack thus increasing album sales. World Tour (selected U.S dates) to follow.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 11:16:01 AM »

Considering a BW biopic has been discussed for over 20 years, it's not going to be anytime soon.  The Leaf group is still waiting for a script, waiting for financing, waiting for pre-production, waiting for casting, waiting for production, waiting for editing, and waiting for a release date should all of that happen, so you're looking at 3-5 years minimum.  And that's assuming they actually get the ball rolling at all.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2007, 04:35:10 PM »

Another article about the new work:

Celebrated musician Brian Wilson has been commissioned to write a brand new concert repertoire for London's revamped South Bank Centre, to be performed at the Royal Festival Hall.

The new piece is called "That Lucky Old Sun (A Narrative)" and Wilson says it "will consist of four 'rounds', with interspersed spoken word."

Wilson will premiere the new work in September, as part of the South Bank Centre's opening season, playing for six nights.

As well as "That Lucky Old Sun", Wilson also plans on digging deeper into his remarkable song catalogue, to perform many on stage for the first time.

Wilson, who calls the venue his "spiritual home away from home", has played The Royal Festival Hall several times since his debut shows as a solo artist in 2002.

It was here that Wilson brought us the world premiere of his mythical unreleased masterpiece "Smile", for the first time in his 40-year career.

Wilson will be unveiling his new musical work on the following dates in September:

10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16 September at 7.30pm

Tickets are priced £35- £55 and go on sale from Monday (January 29).

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2007, 07:35:37 PM »

Wilson says it "will consist of four 'rounds', with interspersed spoken word."

could this be something new with Steve Kalinich poetry?

interesting regardless... wonder as well if this is orchestrated, or at least smallish group like the strings in Smile?
 Roll Eyes

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2007, 07:41:01 PM »

"That Lucky (soulful) Old (man) Sun (shine)"?
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2007, 09:13:58 AM »

"could this be something new with Steve Kalinich poetry?"

Oh f*** I hope not. 

Honk! Honk!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2007, 09:05:17 PM »

"That Lucky Old Sun" is a standard from the 40s-50s. Louis Armstrong did a version of it.

Up in the mornin', out on the job
Work like the devil for my pay
But that lucky old sun has nothin' to do
But roll, roll around heaven all day

Fuss with my woman, toil with my kids
Sweat till I'm wrinkled and grey
While that lucky old sun got nothin' to do

Lord above, can't you hear me pinin'?
Tears all in my eyes
Send down that cloud with a silver linin'
Lift me up to Paradise

Show me that river, take me across
Wash all my troubles away
Like that lucky old sun, give me nothin' to do

Show me that river, take me across
Wash all my troubles away
Like that lucky old sun, give me nothin' to do
But roll around heaven
Let me roll around heaven
I just wanna roll around heaven
All day
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2007, 01:28:22 AM »

so, is anyone planning to go?

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 03:26:34 PM »

Just based on the little I've read here, it sounds like a craptastic waste of valuable time, assuming BW is putting any time into it and it's not just his handlers pushing him around. Geez, that sounds cynical! But seriously, I need a good album from the guy more than I need weird exclusive engagements in England!!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 01:21:02 AM »

Well, let's be honest, the last two albums weren't very good, so why not give a commissioned arty-work a chance?

As far as England vs the USA, the South Bank centre obviously has some imaginative programmers; what's to stop the Lincoln Centre in NYC commissioning something by BW? They just haven't.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx