gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 12:35:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Whole World - Extended Version?  (Read 5203 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:33:47 AM »

Has anyone heard the extended version of "This Whole World" beyond the acapella ending as reported in many Beach Boy books? It always intrigues me as to why Brian would cut such a fantastic song to a premature end?

Now I've got the Spring version of TWW but from the top of my head, (I can't remember) wasn't their ending a re-write by David Sandler or Brian?

Puzzled,

Zander  Huh

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 06:27:50 AM »

yeah, i think he put Starlight, Starbright in there

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »

Has anyone heard the extended version of "This Whole World" beyond the acapella ending as reported in many Beach Boy books? It always intrigues me as to why Brian would cut such a fantastic song to a premature end?

Now I've got the Spring version of TWW but from the top of my head, (I can't remember) wasn't their ending a re-write by David Sandler or Brian?

Puzzled,

Zander  Huh

Which 'many books' ?  I've never heard of any extended "TWW"

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 07:29:41 AM »

Puzzled,

Zander  Huh

Which 'many books' ?  I've never heard of any extended "TWW"

One being Badman's that I read last night, he goes into some detail (I think it was year 1969), I think "Back to the Beach" and possibly the Sunflower booklet? I'd have to check...

Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 07:51:36 AM »

On the American Spring version, the "starlight , star bright"-part was a creative idea by one of the ladies, I believe Marylin, probably done with help from David Sandler.

This is a great live version by the Beach Boys, from 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmzyxPr3HU

I think It's amazing there's so many great music in such a short time! (1:50 live version)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 08:16:36 AM »

That's how I understood it from Badman's book, that the song goes on for around 5-7 minutes after the acapella fade. I'd definitely read elsewhere before his book was released. Also, was there a different version / mix released on a promotional album before "Sunflower"?

"This Whole World" is the title of a song written by Brian Wilson for The Beach Boys, on their 1970 album Sunflower. Earlier in the year, it had been included on the Warner Brothers promotional sampler album The Big Ball, and as a single, backed with "Slip On Through", but did not make the US or UK pop charts.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 08:47:39 AM »

Also, was there a different version / mix released on a promotional album before "Sunflower"?

"This Whole World" is the title of a song written by Brian Wilson for The Beach Boys, on their 1970 album Sunflower. Earlier in the year, it had been included on the Warner Brothers promotional sampler album The Big Ball, and as a single, backed with "Slip On Through", but did not make the US or UK pop charts.

Your quote doesn't mention a different mix or another version. I don't see why they should have used a different recording.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 08:54:07 AM »

Your quote doesn't mention a different mix or another version. I don't see why they should have used a different recording.

No it doesn't, but from memory (I'll check tonight when I get home) Keith Badman seemed to think it did, as it was released BEFORE Sunflower. The Beatles released "Across the Universe" a different mix / recording on a promotinal album for the Wildlife Foundation so I thought the BBs may have done the same...
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 08:57:28 AM by Zander » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 09:24:05 AM »

I've heard the sampler version and it's exactly the same as the album track (as Badman correctly states).

He further notes that the take which produced the released version goes on for some time after the 'real' fade, and that this fade was achieved by dropping out the instrumental track (not rocket science, huh ?), which indicates to me that they just noodled along for two, three minutes, and that Brian decided to end the track where he did before the vocals were added. Bit like the extended fades to a couple of tracks on the 1993 box.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:37 AM »

The Big Ball (which I had at one time) does not have an extended mix of This Whole World on it.  As I remember, the mix was the same as on Sunflower, although since I no longer have it, I can't be sure there weren't minor differences in instrument/vocal placement in the mix.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 07:33:57 PM »

The basic track for "This Whole World" features an extra run through of the whole sequence.  On all of the takes the musicians play through the extra repeat.  I assume sufficient lyrics were not devised or something, and they just decided to sing over two sequences.  So as such, there's no "extended version", just an extended basic track.

PS, don't forget the Eastern Airlines promo mix of the song, which features different vocals and some different instrumental accents.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 07:35:23 PM by aeijtzsche » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:56:23 PM »

So, firing up the abacus, if they only used two-thirds of the instrumental track, and that two-thirds lasts roughly two minutes... then the whole shebang lasts three. So that's ONE minute longer - hardly the "several" that Badman reports. Seems like he's not only iffy regarding concert dates and tours...  Sad

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:07:31 PM »

according to the Add some Music book (with all the articles)...Article: A Children's Song (by Don Cunningham?)...it mentions that brian added that verse to the American Spring version

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 12:14:16 AM »

I must have muddled a few facts  together from different articles I've read, but I knew I'd read about a different mix (Eastern Airlines Promo Mix) and also that clears up the extended ending -Thanks aeijtzsche!  Cool

Shame about Badman getting his facts wrong again on a 7 minute version (See Thursday 13th November 1969 in his book), I was looking forward to hearing that at some point (i.e. Boot or new release - hint hint!)  Wink 2
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 12:23:26 AM by Zander » Logged

chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 01:33:58 AM »

This is a great live version by the Beach Boys, from 1988:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmzyxPr3HU

I think It's amazing there's so many great music in such a short time! (1:50 live version)

What a great performance (esp for 1988!). Thanks. Is this concert available on CD?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 01:36:52 AM by chris.metcalfe » Logged
Jaco
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 07:54:48 AM »

Is this concert available on CD? Probably not, at least not official.

By the way, I always thought that after the enormous succes of the Endless Summer double lp (1975 or '76) the Beach Boys LIVE became a poor and  inferior Golden Oldies Machine.
After listening to all there is to find on YouTube I'm glad I was wrong, it's ups and downs, but there are many great performances! Especially Beachboy Carl is a real good singer.
(But I never want to hear Mike again singing Imagine!)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 07:58:14 AM »

Is this concert available on CD? Probably not, at least not official.

By the way, I always thought that after the enormous succes of the Endless Summer double lp (1975 or '76) the Beach Boys LIVE became a poor and  inferior Golden Oldies Machine.

Well, since 1980 it's that way regularly but luckily there are some exceptions like this or the '93 "unplugged"-shows

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 01:46:22 PM »

I've often wondered what that weird tag on the end of the Spring version of TWW is all about. It sounds like city sounds or something - maybe the sound of a busy world. It sounds pure Brian in it's general oddness and discordance. Anyone know anything about that bit?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 02:13:29 PM »

I used to think it was Brian's idea too.  Then I asked someone who would know, and they told me it was David Sandler's tag.

MBE
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 06:19:16 PM »

I think the last show I liked all the way through is Knebworth or the 1980 July 4th. This doesn't count the box set tour which I got to see not knowing they would do so many cool songs. Yet in 1988 they did briefly put in some really great songs. I like every show through 1976 very much. From 1977-80 if the Wilson's weren't too messed up that night the shows were good. 82-3 is mixed but Carl was so good at the time he must of been happy to be back. Brian is good in 1983 too so much more alert then later.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2007, 05:28:55 AM by MBE » Logged
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 12:41:42 AM »

I used to think it was Brian's idea too.  Then I asked someone who would know, and they told me it was David Sandler's tag.

Wow - who'd have thought that?!

Thanks, AGD for the info

You may have answered this already but, on a semi-related note, do you know anything about the tag on the Smiley twofer version of Can't Wait Too Long, i.e. why it was left off the GV boxset when it was obviously intended for the song, or perhaps it was incorrectly put there on the twofer version. I'm curious about this part as it sounds very Smilke to me, although I'm sure it's not.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 12:52:06 AM »

Pretty sure that was cut during the Wild Honey sessions. The 2fer version is a 1992 edit of all three main sections (not by Brian).

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx