gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:18:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Complete beach Boys videography?  (Read 19623 times)
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2007, 03:05:53 PM »

Hi;
  I am a BIG Beach Boys fan since around 1976. I have everything released by them on CDs. Even solo albums. I have met all but Al and Brian and had a picture with each. http://www.myspace.com/alf1964(see my pics section) Also, I couldn't find any Beach Boys poster, so I made my own many years ago. I have a smaller version in my pics section. The original is on my wall in the living room. I would love it if mine was the official one for The Beach Boys. My way of giving back to them what they have been giving to me and everyone over their long career. their music has pulled me though very tough times in my life. And kept me away drugs and alcohol with their positive sound and feeling. Their music even helped me through losing my sister last July in a tragic car crash. It kept my spirits up.
  I am looking for a definitive chronological Videography of them. Not concert footage per se. I am thinking of TV show performances and MTV/VH1 style music videos. I noticed that even though there was no MTV then, the group was filmed with stage props, and camera filters, and lighting tricks. Which would constitute a music video. I know some of their music videos have been released in specials like "The Beach Boys: An American Band", "Endless harmony" and others. Though none of them have music videos from "Getcha Back" onward. Or anything solo by the guys. I am compiling my own videography for myself. I DO NOT want to or plan to sell it and get into legal troubles with anyone, ESPECIALLY The Beach Boys themselves. Heck, I would love to be part of making a definitive one for them. (same reason as above) I am just frustrated that no one has done this before! The same reason why I made my own beach Boys poster. I didn't know if it was possible to get a VIEWABLE copy of their music videos? If you can help me out, let me know. I would really like to do this without causing problems for anyone. Like, for instance how would I get permission? and from whom? 
Thank you for taking the time to read my ramblings.
alf1964@gmail.com
Mark
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:59:53 PM by Alf64 » Logged
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 03:46:27 PM »

The "videos" I am considering are not footage VH1 or MTV like to use of the guys older and obviously lip-synching. I am using footage of the beach Boys singing the songs when the song came out. It puts the group in a much better light. Instead of making them look just like they are re-hashing their early hits. Also since the footage would be of them when each song came out, the guys look like they are more excited about it. Yes, anyone can throw together a video with the songs overlayed, but that is an "after-the-fact type of video. Not the original. Also I forgot to mention my brother had given me a VHS copy of "The Girls On The Beach" movie. So I have 3 very clear quality videos from it. The Girls On The Beach, Little Honda, and The Lonely Sea. The VH1 video for little Honda cuts out the beginning and the qualtiy from the movie is poor. Also they overdubbed the song. All 3 of the vids I got from the movie start at the exact frame the video footage starts.
  I actually have quite a collection so far. Just need to fill in some gaps. The guys solo efforts would be great to include videos of.
Another suggestion... if the videos could get all compiled together, what about remastering the videos(like CBS/Paramount are doing now with The original Star Trek)Just thinking. The group deserves this kind of attention and respect
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:00:56 PM by Alf64 » Logged
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 03:53:25 PM »

Compilations I already have:

The Beach Boys: An American band (VHS sealed)
The Beach Boys Pets Sounds 40th Anniversary CD/DVD
Endless Harmony DVD
Hot Fun In The Summertime/ Summer In Paradise VHS (bought back then in the fan club)
"The Girls On The Beach" movie VHS

soon to have in a couple weeks:

Nashville Sounds: The Making Of Stars And Stripes
laser disc to DVD copy of the video "Wipeout"

Videos I have that I am satisfied with:

The Monkey's Uncle- with Annette (possible DVD rip VERY clear)
Hot Fun In The Summertime
Summer In Paradise
California Dreamin'
Forever-with John Stamos (actual music video)
Fun Fun Fun- with Status Quo
Good Music- Joan Jett ( The Beach Boys DID sing on it but are not in the actual video)
The Girls On The Beach
Little Honda
The Lonely Sea

The MANY others I already have in a folder I will delete as I get better quality ones. I know many are in the above specials. So I will be replacing many of them.

These ones I am having a tough time getting viewable copies of:

1985 - GETCHA BACK
1985 - IT'S GETTIN' LATE
1986 - ROCK AND ROLL TO THE RESCUE (LOVE THIS SONG and VIDEO!!)
1986 - CALIFORNIA DREAMING
1987 - HAPPY ENDINGS (BBs in cartoon form)
1988 - KOKOMO
1989 - STILL CRUISIN
1989 - SOMEWHERE NEAR JAPAN
1990 - PROBLEM CHILD
1991 - CROCODILE ROCK

Also, the guys look like they are enjoying singing the songs since the video is from when it came out. the guys would obviously be excited about it. It shows in the videos. I even have 3 videos when David Marks was with them. Surfin' safari, Surfin' USA, The Things We Did Last Summer. Since he WAS with them when the songs came out. The copy I have of Surfin' Safari is better than the one on YouTube. That one flickers. The above videos I DO have, but lousy YouTube quality. Barely viewable. I am just using them as visual referrence cards.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:01:45 PM by Alf64 » Logged
MBE
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 04:58:37 PM »

Beach Boys
Here are "videos" I have and quality 5 highest to 1 lowest
Surfin Safari clip from One Man's Challenge 62 5
Monkey’s Uncle 1964 4 min 5
Girls On The Beach 1964 feature 5 includes Little Honda and Lonely Sean plus title track
Red Skeleton 1964 (In My Room and I Get Around from American Band) 5
1964 We Three Kings (from Shindig) 5-
1966 Little Honda Film staring Carl 5
1966 Sloop John B video 2 versions with Brian 5 without Brian 5
1966 Pet Sounds video (a medley of songs) 5
1967 Heroes and Villians 3- (no Beach Boys)
1968 Friends video 5
1968 Do it Again video 2
1969 I Can Hear Music Video 4
1970 Something else (w Cottonfields and Good Vibration promos) 10 min 4+ (timing strip but perfect pic)
1972 Old Grey Whistle (Mess Of Help and Don’t Go Near) 4
1979 Good Timin’ video (no Brian) 5
1979 Here Comes The Night (2 versions) 5
1983 Jingle Bell Rock (Mike)
1985 Getcha Back video 4
1985 It’s Getting’ Late video (no Beach Boys except for Brian cameo) 5-
1986 Don’t Worry Baby video (Brian solo mimes to Beach Boys)  deja view 4
1986 California Dreamin video 4
1986 Rock and Roll To the Rescue (with Brian) video 3
1987 Happy Endings (Cartoon) 4- 1987 Wipeout video 4+
1988 Kokomo video 5
1988 Wall of Voodoo Do It Again (Brian appears but doesn’t perform4
1988 Love and Mercy 5
1989 Still Crusin’ video (with Brian) 4+
1989 Somewhere near Japan 4+
1990 Problem Child video 4
1991 Crocodile Rock 4-
1992 Hot Fun video 5
1992 Forever 4
1995 Baywatch with Summer Of Love video 5-
1996 Fun Fun Fun video (w Brian and Status Quo) 5 min (5-)
1996 Do It Again video at Nashville fun fair (Brian’s last Beach Boys show) 5

There was a Darlin video I think and a Heroes filmed at Brian's house. These along with one for Goin On haven't surfaced.  I don't have the Summer In Paradice video but there is one

P.S. like the pictures. What were they like when you met them Dennis in particular?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 05:02:55 PM by MBE » Logged
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:34:48 AM »

I met Carl, Bruce and Dennis in July of 1983 in North Conway, NH. My brother was a DJ then and had connections so I got to get my picture with them backstage. (outdoors) I simply walked over to each and asked for a picture. I bet you can't do that now. That was all I wanted. I knew the guys were busy, so I didn't want to start asking them questions. just a simple picture and I left them alone.
  The Dennis story is interesting. While I was getting my picture with Carl, I noticed at the back part of the stage Dennis was with the set up crew. If you look over my left shoulder in the picture with Carl you will too. So, I waited a minute after Carl's picture and Dennis came off stage and started to walk by. I asked him if I could get a picture with him. He said in a rough voice "one quick one". So I quickly posed and my brother snapped the polaroid. That picture has meant the MOST to me. If you watch The Beach Boys: An American Band, notice the LAST footage of Dennis trying to sing "You Are So Beautiful". He is wearing the SAME shirt I had my picture with him in. Since he died a few months after I met him, The footage was obviously shot during that very tour. It always chokes me up to watch that part. And I'm not emotional. Thanks for asking me about it. I am glad to share it with people that may actually either be in The Beach Boys or connected to them.
  I met Mike Love at the Cheshire Fairgrounds in Keene, NH in July of 1989. Same story on how I got backstage as before. This time, there were several trailers set up behind the stage. My brother and I simply waited behind the stage area. Mike Love was obvious to notice and I asked him for a quick picture. My brother told me right after that Al had snuck past me behind my back. I never even noticed him. Shucks! So we then went out to our seats and watched the concert. They were performing with the reformed Mamas & the Papas. I don't remember the concerts though. Since the MOST important part for me was that Carl, Bruce, and mike had taken a moment out of their buys time for me to get my picture taken with them. THANKS GUYS!!!
  A few years later my brother went with his radio station to Las vegas and he met brian Wilson. Knowing how I feel about The Beach Boys, he got Brian to autograph a business card and stuck it in Brian's new book then, Wouldn't it Be nice and gave it to me when he got back.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Cal
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 08:26:33 AM »

Is the complete Steve Allen Show performances available/circulating amongst collectors?
I know that audio from one song has been availble on bootleg CDs for years--but
would love to get the full set/songs from the Beach Boys on DVD from this show. I don't think alll of them have become available and probably are not on the bootleg DVD's I have at home?

Thanking in advance!

Regards,
Cal
Smiley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 03:01:06 PM »

Great Pics and Story Alf, Very lucky.

And this might not be my place to say, but very sorry to read about your sister.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 05:19:18 AM »

Alf thanks for the stories. Never got to meet them in person myself, though I have spoken to Al and Brian. I did get Mike's autograph after a show and he was cool. Just walking offstage. Carl once sent me a signed I Get Around sleeve in the mail. Bruce just chatted through message boards. So I guess I very briefly crossed all of their radars.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2007, 12:54:17 PM »

You have a really cool brother!!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 10:53:07 AM »

Now I am at stage 2. I am looking for picture sleeve images of their singles. Wikipedia only has small 200 X 200 pixel images. I have "googled" for them and got a few. Here is the ones I need images for:

Barbara Ann
Barbara (Dennis)
409 (with Junior Brown)
Beach Boys Medley
Bluebirds Over The Mountain /Never Learn Not To love
Break Away /Celebrate The News
California Dreamin
Come Go With Me
Cool Cool Water
Crocodile Rock
Cruisin (Mike and Brian with Celebration)
Dance Dance Dance
Do It Again / Wake The World
Don't Go Near The Water
Don't Worry Baby
Everyone's In Love With You
Forever
Forever (Dennis tribute)
Forever (with John Stamos)
Friends
Fun Fun Fun
Fun Fun Fun (with Status Quo)
God Only Knows
Goin On
Heaven (Carl)
Heaven (Carl tribute)
Here Comes the Night (actual music video) PS
Heroes and Villains PS
Hold Me (Carl)
Hot Fun In The Summertime
I Can Hear Music
I Guess I Just wasn't Made For These Times
I Wish For you (Carl's last song-he wrote for his sons)
If I Could live My Life Again (Dennis)
In My Room
Johnny B Goode
Keepin The Summer Alive
Lady Lynda
Little Honda
Little Saint Nick
Long Promised Road
Make It Big
Please Let Me Wonder
Problem Child
Rock and Roll Music
Rockin' All Over The World (Carl)
Sloop John B
Some Of Your Love
Somewhere Near Japan
Still Cruisin
Sumahama
Summer In Paradise
Summer Of Love
Sunshine
Surfer Girl /Little Deuce Coupe
Surfin Safari
Surfin USA
Surf's Up
The Girls On The Beach
Till I Die
Time To Get Alone
Wendy
What You Do To Me (Carl)
When I Grow Up To be A Man
Wild Honey
Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Need A mess Of Help To Stand Alone
                                                         If anyone can help, Thanks
                                                                       Alf
MBE
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 11:59:50 AM »

Been trying to get this book but can't seem to order it must be out of print. Take a look anyway
http://www.vinylcover.net/#1
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 01:26:37 PM »

This book regularly pops up on Ebay. I can highly recommend it btw.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »

Found a copy dirt cheep today.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2007, 05:17:40 PM »

Found a copy dirt cheep today.

How much was it?  Angry
MBE
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2007, 05:56:02 PM »

http://buchhandlung-walther-koenig.de
Here is where I found it.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38:03 PM »

Nice find! The fact that their shopping system is not encrypted worries me a bit, though... But still, really NICE find!  Smiley
MBE
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2007, 12:41:55 AM »

Well I translated it and ordered from there. Hope it comes soon.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2007, 05:15:10 AM »

Thanks once again for the heads-up, MBE. I faxed them my details and also hope I will receive the book soon.  Smiley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2007, 06:49:55 AM »

€ 10,- ?!!! Darn, I bought it for +€50,- at the time.
A Dutch seller regularly offers one on Ebay for € 30,-, but this is ridiculously cheap. Please let us know when or if it arrives.

What were the shippingcosts btw?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:52:32 AM by smile-holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
MBE
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2007, 09:18:02 AM »

I forgot the shipping exactly but I don't think it was horrible considering the weight of the book.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2007, 04:50:15 AM »

Co-author of this book is the admin. of the german fanclub-site mountvernonandfairway. Don't have the book, but I hear alot of good things about it.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2007, 06:06:39 AM »

I just ordered the book also. I noticed the $10 price tag. MUCH cheaper than what I had seen elsewhere ($79). I am hoping that it has everything from Surfin' Safari on through their last realease on CD singles and in color if it was. I'll let everyone know when I get it. I used my whole 9 digit zip code to help expedite things. That is a hidden trick for faster mail through the post office. especially when it is coming from so far away.
humanoidboogie
Smiley Smile Associate

deer

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 11:02:25 AM »

I received the book today... or SHOULD have if I had been home. Apparently the seller shipped it using UPS and they left me a note that they'll try to deliver it again tomorrow. Postage turned out to be about 10 Euro. 20 Euro for that book, including shipping all the way to your front door, is a steal! Thanks once again for the heads-up, MBE!  Grin
MBE
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:23 PM »

Mine didn't come yet, but hopefully this week.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2007, 03:08:55 AM »

They said to me last week they would sent just a letter with their bank numbers etc, but they sent the book too! 20 € is okay and the book is awesome!

Thanks, MBE for the hint!

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx