gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681011 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:36:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: backstreet boys singing When i grow up to be a man  (Read 3121 times)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2007, 10:56:46 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpp8eO0lvWY Grin Grin Grin

yea, its from the upcoming tribute to brian wilson. They really rock
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »

Wow, that was actually really impressive.  I wasn't expecting much, but they really nailed it.  Those harmonies aren't easy.  I bet Brian got a kick out of hearing that. 
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:07:33 PM »

Hate to admit it (cause it's still a fabricated boy band), but that actually sounds really good.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 01:21:23 PM »

I don't like the lead vocals at all, but the harmonies are pretty good.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:12:42 AM »

when is this tribute going to air?  and who else participated?
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:07:46 PM »

I'm not sure if its ever going to air, but they are relasing a DVD in early February.

http://www.amazon.com/Musicares-Tribute-Wilson-Various-Artists/dp/B000GW8RWA/...

I don't recall all the other artists, but I know that Michael McDonald did Don't Worry Baby, Barenaked Ladies, Jeff Beck doing Surf's Up on guitar, Jamie Cullem doing Sail on Sailor, and a bunch of other people.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 11:38:01 PM »

Jamie Cullem doing Sail on Sailor, and a bunch of other people.

Oh Lord...

Hope he doesn't destroy it like he destroyed Everlasting Love... My least favorite cover song EVER.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 06:38:04 AM »

Jamie Cullem doing Sail on Sailor, and a bunch of other people.

Oh Lord...

Hope he doesn't destroy it like he destroyed Everlasting Love... My least favorite cover song EVER.

I haven't heard it, but in an interview Brian said that he really enjoyed it, for whatever that's worth.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 05:38:26 PM »

In an interview Brian also said that he really enjoyed the Backstreet Boys. I remember thinking... huh? But that WAS really good.
I guess having a good song to sing made a huge difference.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 06:39:55 PM »

Yea exactly Amy.  They get a lot of crap from people because most of their songs were annoying bubblegum pop.  But this shows that if you give them a good song to sing, they can pull it off and sound good doing it.  Like I said before, that vocal arrangement isn't easy by any means, even though it sounds like such a simple song.  I can totally see Brian digging their performance.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2007, 09:22:55 PM »

This just shows how great it would be if Brian would produce for acts outside of himself, imagine these boy bands (or especially girl groups) with someone with the ability of Brian Wilson to write harmony arrangements for them.  Everytime I hear a Pussycat dolls song I think "damn, if the harmonies were just a little more complex", lol. 

When I see their videos though, I usually don't think about the harmonies. 
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2007, 09:36:29 PM »

This just shows how great it would be if Brian would produce for acts outside of himself, imagine these boy bands (or especially girl groups) with someone with the ability of Brian Wilson to write harmony arrangements for them.  Everytime I hear a kittycat dolls song I think "damn, if the harmonies were just a little more complex", lol. 

When I see their videos though, I usually don't think about the harmonies. 

I've often thought the same thing.  Brian obviously enjoyed producing other acts (like the Honeys) in the 60's, so why not now?  I'd love to see someone like the Backstreet Boys do an album of Brian Wilson songs, with Brian writing and arranging all the vocal parts.  They certainly have the vocal ability, but most of their own songs are pretty boring harmony wise.  Then again, nobody today is really doing vocal arrangements like Brian did.  But I think it would be cool for Brian to do a project like that. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx