gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:47:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Smile Question: CITFOTM  (Read 7359 times)
martin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: January 07, 2007, 01:03:45 PM »

hello, long time reader of this and the smile shop but i stopped posting pretty much after the bored split...

i was reading through the badman book and i was going through the bit about re-creating surfs up and it states the 71 versions ending section is "based on the "CITFOTM" recording of December 2nd 1966." and after looking through my bootleg collection i could only find some child stuff from december 6th labeled "02 Child Is Father Of The Man (mono mix) 12-6-66" 1:55 "03 Child Is Father Of The Man (alternate stereo mix) 12-6-66" 1:37. both of these are from a massive collection i downloaded a while back that supposedly had everything in chronological order. am i missing something from my collection or has the 12/2 session never been booted? i never really payed much attention to exact dates in terms of booted stuff and the exact session they came out of, please tell me if im not seeing something or if i have made an error in thinking somewhere !

"Child Is The Father Of The Man" 10/7, 10/12, 12/2, 12/6 1966 Unknown whether lead vocal was completed. Additional sections recorded but not used in final mix. " - taken from the smile shops sessionography page.

thanks for any help !
zacc m
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 07:59:01 AM »

While interesting, the Badman book contains numerous inaccuracies, especially in terms of dates. Musically, the ending of the '71 "Surf's Up" (and the BWPS "Surf's Up" for that matter) is the same as the solo Brian performance recorded in Dec. '66. only with the "Child..." round layered on top and the new lyrics performed by Al ("A children's song/listen as they play"). The melody line to Al's part pretty much mirrors Brian's wordless wail from the solo recording, so there is really nothing left to "base" the ending on that hasn't already been booted...unless it's a tape containing the "listen as they play" lyrics which seems quite unlikely. The one tape that is known to exist, but has not been booted, is an edited backing track to "Child..." (no vocals) that runs about 3 minutes.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:46:28 AM »

The Alan part? Are you sure?I seem to remember reading somewhere that Brian came up with that part then and there and it is HIS voice, not Al's. I also remember reading about some extra lyrics about father's or something that was never used. Anybody??

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 11:32:50 AM »

On the bottom of the lyric sheet carl used for the lead vocal are the pencilled lines:

"The father's life is done
And the children carry on".

BTW, the mono mix of the "CIFOTM" that Brian made is dated 11/66. And it rocks.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:58:21 AM »

Ok, I know this is in an old post, but where did this whole 'Al sings the children's song part' come from. It's always sounded like Brian, to me. Are people just making things up and then calling fact, or is there something to base this on? My whole reality is slowly being undone with all of these "it was actually Al on that song"  revelations!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 09:10:52 PM »

No reputable person makes stuff up and calls it fact (unless you're a politician, which kinda knocks 'reputable' on the head). I say it's Alan on the "Child" tag because, to these ears, it sounds very, very much like him. Others agree. others still don't.

Plus, I have other sources.  Roll Eyes

Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:28:38 PM »

That part in Surf's up has always sounded like Alan to me as well. Al does a great job of singing "like" Brian. In fact he was brought back to the BB's in spring '63 to replace Brian on the road and sing his parts. The guys were reportedly "stoked" because... he could sing "just like Brian". Apparently so.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:51:51 PM »

I was fooling around with the audio a few days ago, and after isolating the vocal from all of the harmonies, it's pretty clear to me that it's Al.

Take a listen: http://download.yousendit.com/4243FBEE4F3A6D42
peeping tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:05:08 AM »

Thanks Ebb, i think it's pretty clear now.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 01:46:48 PM »

Weird thing is, Steve Desper told me directly that at the end of "Surf's Up," Brian joins in on background vocals during the "Child" tag, singing "That's why the child, hey hey"--and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like him!

At one point, I thought maybe it was Jack Rieley.  But I asked Steve D. and he said no, it was Brian.

Glenn
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 03:46:57 PM »

I thought it was Carl or maybe Dennis.....  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 08:00:00 PM »

The Child 66 mono mix was booted on Archaeology.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »

Weird thing is, Steve Desper told me directly that at the end of "Surf's Up," Brian joins in on background vocals during the "Child" tag, singing "That's why the child, hey hey"--and it doesn't sound ANYTHING like him!

At one point, I thought maybe it was Jack Rieley.  But I asked Steve D. and he said no, it was Brian.

Steve Desper also said (and you can find it with the Desper Search Engine™) that Brian was singing the "Oh Lord I lay me down..." part in A Day In The Life Of A Tree... But it's clearly Al, although some would probably disagree.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2007, 03:33:21 PM »

Steve Desper also said (and you can find it with the Desper Search Engine™) that Brian was singing the "Oh Lord I lay me down..." part in A Day In The Life Of A Tree... But it's clearly Al, although some would probably disagree.

Until a few days ago (and a very compelling argument from Andrew G. Doe), I was one of those folks who disagreed!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 03:35:19 PM by Glenn Greenberg » Logged

Glenn
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2007, 07:53:57 PM »

On the bottom of the lyric sheet carl used for the lead vocal are the pencilled lines:

On Archaeology there are 2 mono mixes and 3 stereo mixes. Do you know which one is by Brian? One mono mix is 1 min 55 sec, and the second mono mix is 1 min 37 sec.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2007, 11:24:24 PM »

On Archaeology there are 2 mono mixes and 3 stereo mixes. Do you know which one is by Brian? One mono mix is 1 min 55 sec, and the second mono mix is 1 min 37 sec.

The mono mix I'm talking about in this thread is 3.03 long and goes verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse/chorus. I don't think it's been 'officially' booted. In its own quiet way it's as much of a jaw-dropper as the "Cabin Essence" track. Think I'm right in recalling it was on an early, tentative lineup for Endless Harmony.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 11:26:04 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »

Andrew, is that the one where the third verse is a bass-driven thing with vibes and a little percussion (not at all similar to the first 2 verses), then goes into a few repititions of the chorus without vocals?  I've never been sure if that was a Brian mix or not. 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19:40 PM »

The mono mix I'm talking about in this thread is 3.03 long and goes verse/chorus/verse/chorus/verse/chorus. I don't think it's been 'officially' booted. In its own quiet way it's as much of a jaw-dropper as the "Cabin Essence" track. Think I'm right in recalling it was on an early, tentative lineup for Endless Harmony.

Man, I'll just have to imagine that one then - curse you posters with insider status!! Is this just a backing track or are there vocals? More importantly what are the odds we will ever hear this? Pretty slim I'm guessing.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »

Chris - it's been a while since I last heard it, but my recollection is that the instrumentation was constant throughout. I'll dig out my notes.

Buddah - just the track, no vocals whatsoever. Brian's own mix and edit. It's a gem. I can't see it not coming out one day.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »

OK, found my notes. The instrumentation is consistant, except for the final repetition of the 'chorus', which is the one that sounds tinkly and distant - then back to the usual riff.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 03:55:50 PM »

Thanks Andrew.  The mix you have doesn't sound like the same one I have.  Mine starts with a full on vocal chorus (the child chant with some ahhh backing vox), piano verse, more sparse vocal chorus, guitar verse, another full on chorus, the weird little bridge part I described before, then a few instrumental variations of the chorus.  No idea where I got it, but if your version is a Brian edit, I'd guess that mine probably isn't.  I wish I could remember where I got it!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 03:56:43 PM by Chris Brown » Logged
martin
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 04:13:55 PM »

andrew is this something that was played for you or is it something that you literally have? not on secret smile? i'd look but my laptop is fried and my music collection is currently backed up on my ipod in data form only. secondly, was the child chant re-recorded for the SU tag or was the "cha cha...father of the man" part just mixed amongst the newly recorded stuff. it'd be pretty cool if that was taken from original smile tapes that have never come out but i doubt that is the case. still hoping to see a better child mix leak out one day because the common booted ones are pretty dull imo.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 09:07:11 PM »

Best of my knowledge, the 3.03 mono mix hasn't been booted. No vocals whatsoever, just the track.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 04:51:58 AM »

secondly, was the child chant re-recorded for the SU tag or was the "cha cha...father of the man" part just mixed amongst the newly recorded stuff.
I'm obviously not AGD, but the "Child" reprise in Surf's Up must have been re-recorded for Surf's Up because the chords are different.

still hoping to see a better child mix leak out one day because the common booted ones are pretty dull imo.
Here here.  There's got to be a better sounding version somewhere.  I sure wish that someone would dig up a version with lead vocals, although probably unlikely.
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 05:42:21 AM »

secondly, was the child chant re-recorded for the SU tag or was the "cha cha...father of the man" part just mixed amongst the newly recorded stuff.
I'm obviously not AGD, but the "Child" reprise in Surf's Up must have been re-recorded for Surf's Up because the chords are different.

You can get a vocals only version of Surfs Up on the "Get The Boot" bootleg, volume 1. The "child / father" vocals have obivously been re-recorded. I think it's in someone's book that Brian taught them all the vocals for the tag when he came down from his bedroom...

« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 05:44:20 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx