gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:54:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stephen Desper's Recording The Beach Boys  (Read 26284 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 24, 2005, 07:44:48 PM »

The link to read about and purchase his book and matrix (360Surround™ ) device is:

http://community-2.webtv.net/askswd/bookorderinginfo/

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 04:00:00 PM »

The link to purchase the book "Recording the Beach Boys" and matrix (360Surround™ ) device is no longer available.  An expanded version is being written. Date of availability is unknown. ~swd
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:55:50 PM by Stephen W. Desper » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:33:25 PM »

The link to purchase the book "Recording the Beach Boys" and matrix (360Surround™ ) device is no longer available.  An expanded version is being written. Date of availability is unknown. ~swd
When this was original sold, how much was it?

any updates on the expanded version? Heck, I'd just like to hear about the original book, hadn't heard much of what it contained

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »

any updates on the expanded version? Heck, I'd just like to hear about the original book, hadn't heard much of what it contained
I just wanna hear something about this...does nobody own this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 03:20:36 PM »

I think it was about $15 - $20.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »

Really?!?!
I figured it'd be a lot more expensive...

wait, isn't there something else to buy with this? I can't remember what it is, a spatz something or other? I can't remember

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2011, 12:13:49 AM »

Great work and I hope he does expand it one day. Brian did a LOT in those years and the group atmosphere was heartening. You can hear the care put into those albums.  I just wish he'd make more of those devices. It made my stereo sound great but mine broke.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 01:13:43 AM »

Really?!?!
I figured it'd be a lot more expensive...

The book is 48 A4 pages. More of a pamphlet, but it's still great value as there's just so much info in there. Invaluable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
egon spengler
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »

is there anywhere to buy this book these days? i'd love to read it but it's nowhere to be found from what i can tell.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 03:08:04 PM »

is there anywhere to buy this book these days? i'd love to read it but it's nowhere to be found from what i can tell.
feelings mutual

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 03:14:20 PM »

Email Desper about it maybe he can photo copy it for you.
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 03:07:25 PM »

Email Desper about it maybe he can photo copy it for you.
Then there's the 360 Surround device that was included with the book. I would kill for one of these devices, or failing that, a high-res Sunflower needle-drop that has gone through the 360 Surround... Dolby Pro Logic II does a decent job on Sunflower and Surfs Up, decoding them to surround, but I'd love to be able to hear them in the 'three-dimensional stereo' that was originally intended. Apparently "Sunflower" was designed to be decoded by an Electro-Voice matrix technology that was very short-lived.

Apparently Mr. Desper engineered "Sunflower" and "Surfs Up" to have incredible stereo separation, but the engineers who cut the original vinyl decided not to use those characteristics. The reason may be due to the fact that when matrix-encoded stereo mixes are "folded" down into mono, there are potential phase issues, and A.M. radio back then was a big mono outlet for music.

- B00ts
MBE
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:13:15 PM »

Mine broke and I so wish he would issue new home versions for it as it made everything sound better in stereo.
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »

Any update on this book availability?
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Put me down for the next edition the second it comes out! 
Niko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 04:33:49 PM »

I would buy this if it were to become available!

DRM
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 04:37:24 AM »

Stephen Desper's work rivals Sir George Martin's.   
wingsoveramerica
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »

Is there a link to buy this?

Jon G.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 03:07:41 PM »

No.  It is long out of print as well as obtaining his original spatializer device.
The only way now to access the information is by Mr Despers study videos.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx