gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 02:05:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for AGD  (Read 6785 times)
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:30:53 AM »

I'm a big fan of your 'complete guide to..' with John Tobler (I also have Toblers late 70s hardback book too), I was just wondering what are your favourite Beach Boy and Brian moments as I don't know who's contributing which bits.
The reason I ask is because you are quite, er, opinionated on many aspects of the BB legacy (rightly so most of the time), so I wanted to know the bits which make you happy!  Grin

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 05:49:52 AM »

This may surprise a lot of people, but pretty much everything the BB did makes me smile, at least up to 1985.

I guess my single fave BB choon is "Wouldn't It Be Nice" - it's pretty much all there. "All This Is That" is far and away the best thing the band ever did without the slightest input from Brian, though "The Trader" is a close second. But in truth, pretty much all of it does something for me.

Except Gettin' In Over My Head: Brian should hang his head in shame for ever agreeing to be part of that, much less let it be released.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 06:27:07 AM »

Thanks Andrew.
GIOMH has been discussed much, on paper its a great prospect, why on earth didn't the Paley sessions version of the title track get released, its far and away one of the best Brian lead vocals of the last 30 years, If they used 'Soul Searchin' and 'Saturday Morning.', form those sessions then they could have used GIOMH too.
In your opinion, what tracks should have made the cut (apart from obviously a whole new album from Brian), going on the pretext that it was an album of (mostly) remakes?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 06:33:29 AM »

This may surprise a lot of people, but pretty much everything the BB did makes me smile, at least up to 1985.

Even Barbara Ann?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 06:38:18 AM »

No - if I never heard that song again my life would be complete. I probably hate it more than Brian currently does.

Ummmm... your real name wouldn't happen to be Tony Rivers, would it ?  Smiley

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 08:08:42 AM »

Gettin' In Over My Head: Brian should hang his head in shame for ever agreeing to be part of that, much less let it be released.

Hi, Andrew!

I've been aware that you feel that way about GIOMH, but I've never really understood why.

I have the CD, and I find it pretty boring and fairly unmemorable--but not particularly embarrassing or shameful.  (Maybe THAT'S the problem--I found it so unmemorable, I don't remember what's wrong with it!)

So can you offer some insights about why you think Brian should be ashamed of himself for being a part of it and allowing it to be released?  I'd be really interested to get your thoughts on the matter.

Glenn
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 08:30:06 AM »

No - if I never heard that song again my life would be complete. I probably hate it more than Brian currently does.

Ummmm... your real name wouldn't happen to be Tony Rivers, would it ?  Smiley
LOL I knew you were forgetting something! That's how i feel about "In the Back of My Mind",  and "Winds of Change".

I didn't know Brian hates BA...why does he still do it then?!

BTW...who's Tony Rivers? LOL This is Billy...just changed my user name to reference a Daniel Johnston album (Yip/Jump Music)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 09:03:19 AM »

Gettin' In Over My Head: Brian should hang his head in shame for ever agreeing to be part of that, much less let it be released.

Hi, Andrew!

I've been aware that you feel that way about GIOMH, but I've never really understood why.

I have the CD, and I find it pretty boring and fairly unmemorable--but not particularly embarrassing or shameful.  (Maybe THAT'S the problem--I found it so unmemorable, I don't remember what's wrong with it!)

So can you offer some insights about why you think Brian should be ashamed of himself for being a part of it and allowing it to be released?  I'd be really interested to get your thoughts on the matter.

No problemo.

1 - the vocals. They're beyond slapdash and well into shoddy. FI, there's a bit in "Fairy Tale" where Brian is supposed to sing "ever afterrrrrrrrr": what he actually sings is "ever afterrrrrrrrrurrrrgh", and elsewhere his double tracking is atrocious. It's like he was trying to get it over and done with. Plus, why didn't anyone stop the take and say "Brian, not good enough - you can do better". Actually, I know the answer to that...

2 - song selection. Brian had nothing to do with it. "My wife and managers"... It's been observed that the track listing looks like an attempt to stymie the bootleggers. Maybe.

3 - the mix. Once memorably described to me by a musician and huge BB/BW fan as "everything louder than everything else". The CD may have been physically mixed by Mark Linnet, but I'll believe the people who tell me that the shots were being called by someone with fewer creative smarts than Landy.

4 - the whole package. There are members of the band who are bitterly disappointed at  how the whole thing turned out. I've had it hinted to me that some were prepared to walk. The album was supposed to be released late 2003/January 2004, but wasn't because no-one it was offered to would take it. (Scotty Bennet said as much to a fan at the January 2004 Edmonton show: said fan related this on the BBB MB, the result being a request - actually an instruction - to remove the post from Brian's camp and a severe ass-chewing for Scotty.) In the end it was only released as part of the BWPS package.

5 - if Brian was really in control of the project, and even faintly interested, he would have canned it, or at least worked on it until it was releaseable. he can do far better, and he knows it. The question put to me was, did he want to do better ?

When I got a promo copy, I listened to it... then listened again... and again. After the third time, I got on the email and asked others who I knew also had promos if it was just me, or was it really that bad ? Without exception, they all replied with variations on the theme of "thank god for that, I thought it was just me".

Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 10:08:44 AM »

Thanks for the thorough response, AGD!

Looks like I was right--the album was so unmemorable to me that I didn't remember any of what you described!

Glenn
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2007, 10:08:54 AM »

Andrew, are you saying that GIOMH was someone's idea of What Brian Should be Doing, and even after the final result was subpar (to say the least), this someone didn't feel like canning the album, making sure that it would be released even as a BWPS contract obligation?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2007, 10:30:20 AM »

I think so, and he'd be right.

And I even LIKE the album!

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 10:40:45 AM »

I've spoken with several people involved in the making of the album. No-one remembers the experience with any particular fondness. One of them doesn't remember it very much at all, because they were hardly involved in the later sessions.

He's said this in public, at the Beach Boys Stomp 2006 Convention (and got into deep doo-doo for it), so I feel OK with repeating it: Stevie Kalinich feels that GIOMH is maybe 20% Brian.

In answer to your question, yes, I do, based on what I've heard and been told by people whose integrity I respect.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »

I think Brian just doesn't care.  He's happy as long as the people around him are happy.  He sort of wants to still be in the public eye, and if someone else pushes the tide for him, he'll just surf along, even if he's not putting out the effort to make something good, or doesn't have the inspiration to do so.  Nor does he want the arguments if other certain persons don't agree with his ideas (and truth is, maybe his ideas aren't always the best, either, -- "Proud Mary," for example). 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 11:23:14 AM »

At this point, after BWPS, why should he care? He's already done everything! Or really, though, why should  Meli Mysterious Person care either? He should be left to do whatever he wants ,even if its an album full of pregnant rabbits farting  over the sounds of frogs croaking used as the melody. Or, indeed, even if its nothing.

He's not going to have a #1 album in this day and age...why force him to record stuff he doesn't want to?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 11:24:18 AM by Yip Jump » Logged

Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 11:44:41 AM »

When I got a promo copy, I listened to it... then listened again... and again. After the third time, I got on the email and asked others who I knew also had promos if it was just me, or was it really that bad ? Without exception, they all replied with variations on the theme of "thank god for that, I thought it was just me".

I remember vividly the first time I played my promo copy ... well, the first fifteen minutes, as I genuinely fell asleep I found it that uninteresting ...  Undecided

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 01:48:08 PM »

why force him to record stuff he doesn't want to?

And here we have it again, a chance for me to force my dream onto others!

It is that very thought that makes me wish all Brian would do would be to record what he wants, when he wants, and release it with or without the assistance of labels. Internet singles are not exactly an expensive thing to create and release, and frankly, his sales would probably be about the same that way as if he got a deal and went through the traditional in-stores method of selling. Besides, without an entire album to finish, but only a song or two as he got to them, he might show some enthusiasm for the music he did, as opposed to the results like GIOMH. (I still dislike Imagination more, but I definitely understand the awfulness of Brian's GIOMH vox.)

I'd gladly buy spirited singles every few months, even if they're just silly "throwaway" pop songs, as opposed to massive, epic "SMiLEs" that never actually get done, or get done in a halfass way.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 02:33:28 PM »

And here we have it again, a chance for me to force my dream onto others!

It is that very thought that makes me wish all Brian would do would be to record what he wants, when he wants, and release it with or without the assistance of labels. Internet singles are not exactly an expensive thing to create and release, and frankly, his sales would probably be about the same that way as if he got a deal and went through the traditional in-stores method of selling. Besides, without an entire album to finish, but only a song or two as he got to them, he might show some enthusiasm for the music he did, as opposed to the results like GIOMH.

That's a great idea. Brian would just have to worry about one song. "Hey, let's go in and record that song I wrote the other day!" Like those Christmas songs that were on his site. All the hardcore fans are sure to download it, and if it's a success and he amasses a dozen and there's a demand, they could eventually put it onto an album. Have you posted this idea on the blueboard? I mean, it's worth a shot.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 03:45:54 PM »

I did, a while back. Predictably, it got ignored.

In an unrelated note, I no longer remember my password for that site...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 03:54:05 PM »

I have said that before on there. Response was typically one of the following:

1) No way, I want another album just like [SMiLE/Pet Sounds/Love You]!!! He can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2) I don't care what he does--every single note he's ever recorded is brilliant!!!! P.S. nothing good has been recorded since 1967 other than Brian's and Paul McCartney's albums.

3) I, being an audiophile and uber-collector, want to make sure that he doesn't release music that way, and absolutely insist on a 50-disc box containing [whatever outtakes and bootlegs] because they're all better than anything the band ever actually released. And they have to be released on [whatever]-bit fidelity (yes, I'm making sh*t up now) because even though they were recorded on John Stamos' fucking cassette player in 1989, I can tell the difference.

Or some such thing.

Actually, that last one is more representative of the sort of response I'd get on this site... Whoops.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 05:26:32 PM »

A little to much disrespect on this board sometimes IMO

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2007, 05:43:20 PM »

All boards are created equal, and are subject to a little mockery, lest their heads grow too big.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »

I actually enjoy Brian's first solo album quite a bit. I think its far and away his best original solo album and is up there with Love You. I don't hear a lot of critics giving high praise to this album, but I feel it is a triumph. Not in the way that Pet Sounds or Smile is, but up there with Friends, Sunflower and Love You IMO. Rio Grande I think is his best track since Til I Die.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2007, 10:03:25 AM »

I actually enjoy Brian's first solo album quite a bit. I

I agree with you about the 88 album. I didn't buy it for a while because I kept hearing about how "80s" it is. Well, it IS very "80s," but it's also very Brian and even recalls some Spector.  I think it's excellent, particularly Rio Grande.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 12:10:11 PM »

Never fails to crack me up when folk complain about "the 80's production style" on this album. No-one ever moans about the way Pet Sounds sounds like it was produced in the 60s, do they ? Personally I think it would have sounded better with a 90's production myself.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »

It is a perfectly legitimate complaint.

Obviously, the fact that it was created in the 80s means it is more likely to sound of that era. But my complaint about the album is that the production style seems to have absorbed the worst aspects of that era, what sounds like (although I know isn't) the complete abandonment of natural instruments for synthesizers; terrible drum sounds; cheesy guitar tones.

Pet Sounds was a 60s production, of course, but does't take cliches of that era in the way that BW88 does. Frankly, I have the same complaint about plenty of 60s albums, including the much-revered Forever Changes, the production of which I think does the same thing with 60s sounds that BW88 does with 80s ones.

Artists were capable of making great albums in the 80s that didn't sound so terrible. Tom Waits is a wonderful example, who did a couple of his best albums in that decade...and not a reverby drum machine to be found.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx