gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 12:13:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question for AGD  (Read 6783 times)
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »

I agree that it's legitimate to dislike the 80s sound, just as it's legitimate to dislike the 70s sound or the 90s sound. If Imagination represents the 90s sound, then I'd rather hear the 88 album.

It's true that the 88 album has a lot of 80s cliches, but to me, it has a lot more drive to it than the adult contemo sounds of Imagination. I don't know, maybe I've softened to the 80s sound. It can be a lot of fun. And the 88 album has the added attraction of Brian's harmonies and some very good songs-- more good songs, I think, than Imagination. It's not exactly Rick Astley.

There were some 80s albums that ignored the "80s sound." The albums REM made between 1983 and 1986 are good examples. You can't tell that Fall on Me was made in 1986 just by listening to it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2007, 12:51:50 PM »

Don't get me wrong--I hate the production of Imagination as much or worse. Same basic reasons, although they were differently wrongly done (to my ears).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2007, 01:58:38 AM »

Never fails to crack me up when folk complain about "the 80's production style" on this album. No-one ever moans about the way Pet Sounds sounds like it was produced in the 60s, do they ? Personally I think it would have sounded better with a 90's production myself.

I actually think that the BB recordings from the 60s sound fresher and less dated nowadays than their 80s recordings. There will always be people that make organic recordings like Brian made them in the 60s, while the synths and fake drums on the 1985 BB and the 1988 BW albums are very typical for the 80s.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 05:45:29 AM by shelter » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2007, 12:30:57 PM »

Never fails to crack me up when folk complain about "the 80's production style" on this album. No-one ever moans about the way Pet Sounds sounds like it was produced in the 60s, do they ? Personally I think it would have sounded better with a 90's production myself.

I actually think that the BB recordings from the 60s sound fresher and less dated nowadays than their 80s recordings. There will always be people that make organic recordings like Brian made them in the 60s, while the synths and fake drums on the 1985 BB and the 1988 BW albums are very typical for the 80s.

Agreed. The more of your time you try to be with any art, the more dated it will become out of that time. Trying to be fashionable is just begging for unfashionability.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »

I kind of disagree with era styled recordings always being bad. I think that there are some very good 80s sound songs. I happen to enjoy songs like 'Safety Dance', 'Our House', 'Cars', 'Rock Lobster' and many of the new wave era songs are very good. I wouldn't say I am a big fan of the 80s cliche procucing style, but some people new how to produce it well. I could say the same about any production era style.

Do I make any sense or is it just Van Dyke giberish?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2007, 03:36:31 AM »

"I actually think that the BB recordings from the 60s sound fresher and less dated nowadays than their 80s recordings. "

Their 60s recordings sound fresher than many other artists' work - including the Beatles, imho.
MBE
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2007, 05:17:31 PM »

Yes Magic_Transistor_Radio you are saying  there are good examples of any genre as well as bad. I agree and feel even the best music ever recorded in during the first two decades of rock music, any style, has people within it who make cheep ripoffs of a certain sound.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx