gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680809 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:03:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson/Beach Boys soundalikes...  (Read 17091 times)
theduke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »

people tell me my band sounds like beach boys music.

www.myspace.com/pacificcoastband -- rehearsal demos and video from our recent show at the Whisky.

we're beginning recording our first cd this week on vintage analog equipment with the musicians playing together live with vocal overdubs.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »

Has anyone checked out "the Lost Album" by Lewis Taylor? I have a copy in transit and the bits that I heard has me really looking forward to spending time with it- there seems to be a huge Pet Sounds vibe without being a direct and earnest rip off.   

Dean
Shawnte
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2007, 11:13:17 AM »

Yes!  Agreed!  Lewis defintely channels those influences without sounding like he is copying anyone - "Let's Hope Nobody Finds Us" is like the lost track from Pet Sounds.  FYI, there is a Lewis  myspace page - http://www.myspace.com/lewistaylorstoned
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2007, 02:15:55 PM »

I really didn't dig the Pacific Coast band or that Lewis Taylor guy.  Huh

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
voxnut
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2007, 09:45:27 AM »

I got the Lewis Taylor CD and after one full listening, I've got to admit it's not as much of my thing as I had hoped it would. There are moments certainly, and I like the one really Brian Wilson-esque song "Let's Hope Nobody Finds Us" but overall the record is too dense in that kind of '70's Todd Rundgren way for me to really get into. Every line has a complex melody with a complex harmony and chord pattern under it. So while it's technically pop because it's melodic and there isn't much in the way of time signature changes or odd time signatures, the "hummability" factor isn't really there for me- which as advanced as Pet Sounds is, it manages to hold on to. While this isn't through composing, it has that feel to it. I'm sure other folks will just love this, and while it's not my thing there is no denying that he's a talented guy.

But other than the one song, I have to retract my thought of it being more BW/BB influenced that I originally thought after listening to 30 second snippets of a few songs.

Dean
Leo K
Smiley Smile Associate

I Have Lost Touch With The World

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2007, 10:12:26 AM »

The harmony in the beginning of Kenny Loggin's Thats allright (I think thats the title...from the Caddyshack soundtrack) sounds very Wilsonesque...very much so.

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2007, 10:19:12 AM »

has anyone heard a song that samples "Busy Doin Nothing"Huh
a friend of mine heard it, and thought it was used in a Sugar Ray tune but couldn't be sure.
i haven't had any luck locating what the heck she was referring to.  maybe she was just high.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2007, 10:47:38 AM »

has anyone heard a song that samples "Busy Doin Nothing"Huh
a friend of mine heard it, and thought it was used in a Sugar Ray tune but couldn't be sure.
i haven't had any luck locating what the heck she was referring to.  maybe she was just high.

She might have been high, but either way I am pretty sure she's referring to the guitar hook of "Every Morning," their hit from 1999. I know I was just getting into the Beach Boys around then, and had picked up Friends. That guitar hook is pretty similar to the little line at the beginning of "Busy Doin Nothing."

It wouldn't surprise me if it was an intentional lift, either. After seeing Sugar Ray Mark McGrath on RnR Jeopardy back around that time, I am pretty sure he knows more about pop music than anyone on earth. Too bad his band kinda sucks...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2007, 04:37:19 PM »

Jason Lytle of my favorite modern band, 'Grandaddy' is a genius of today IMO. Not to mention that his voice sounds hauntingly like Brians.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6hKmAosunA

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2007, 04:46:31 PM »

Jason Lytle of my favorite modern band, 'Grandaddy' is a genius of today IMO.

Formerly of Grandaddy, that is. They broke up last year.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2007, 07:31:07 AM »

Jason Lytle of my favorite modern band, 'Grandaddy' is a genius of today IMO.

Formerly of Grandaddy, that is. They broke up last year.

I know. It's so sad. Sad

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2007, 12:06:37 PM »

hmm, I like Grandaddy, they were good. But I dont think they were at the 'genius' level. Especially when a lot of their songs had a similar feel and they never really experimented with much.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2007, 02:14:29 PM »

I agree with you, Joe. IMO, they were a good band, but that's about it. Of course, a good band is a good thing, so I'm not knocking them one bit.

Polly
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2007, 01:00:27 AM »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the apex of all Wilsonian tributes ~ Chris Rainbow's 'DEAR BRIAN' from his album 'Looking Over My Shoulder'.

L&M
Polly
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 28, 2007, 05:45:37 PM »

The intro/chorus to "Carrie-Anne" by the Hollies reminds me of BB harmonies, especially the intro.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2007, 05:44:46 PM »

From out here in the Sonoran desert, the cut 12 on the Gin Blossoms latest CD (Major Lodge Victory) is a delightful Wilsonesque harmony piece called "California Sun".

The whole disc deserves more attention....but that's the only song on it that is a BB soundalike.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2007, 01:56:33 PM »

hmm, I like Grandaddy, they were good. But I dont think they were at the 'genius' level. Especially when a lot of their songs had a similar feel and they never really experimented with much.

That's a good point. I agree that over their existance they didn't really progress much. Perhaps the Flaming Lips would fit that better. Having said that, I still like the sound of G more then the FL.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2007, 02:00:11 PM »

This isnt' quite a Beach Boys soundalike, but it is a pretty obvious retro-influenced group: Apples (in Stereo). I have always admired their sound more than their actual albums, but I have to say, their new release is really good. New Magnetic Wonder is the name of the album. I really do recommend it.

AWoPS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2007, 03:19:09 PM »

If you haven't done so yet, I highly recommend checking out the new song by The Explorer's Club called "Last Kiss."  If you like BB/BW-esque songs, this is for you.  Go to myspace to have a listen:  http://www.myspace.com/explorersclub

Certainly derivitive, but great tunes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx