gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:53:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Yellow Balloon  (Read 14543 times)
Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed that towards the end of How Can I Be Down, someone says "keep recording"? This is the first time I've found something like this on my own, I feel special

I think it was mentioned in the liner notes by one of the members of the band... something about how he was bummed out because that bit was left in there , otherwise it would be a "perfect' album (or something like that)

Personally, I am glad they kept recording!

Joe..... over and out
I hear a new world
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2006, 09:16:33 PM »

Darn, I don't feel special anymore. Oh well.

I have a newfound love for Don Grady's songwriting skills. Junk Maker Shoppe is an amazing song (I especially love the line "there are colorful trinkets that have no pride"). The solo bonus tracks on the CD are pretty good, too. Great lyrics.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2006, 01:41:39 PM »

Darn, I don't feel special anymore. Oh well.

I have a newfound love for Don Grady's songwriting skills. Junk Maker Shoppe is an amazing song (I especially love the line "there are colorful trinkets that have no pride"). The solo bonus tracks on the CD are pretty good, too. Great lyrics.

Smashing good number!

Joe..... over and out
I hear a new world
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2006, 12:56:44 PM »

I only wish the sound was better on that Yellow Balloon CD. I wonder what they mastered it from?

Otherwise, it's a total gas!
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2006, 01:26:13 PM »

Why not listen to some Nilsson?

tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »

Any disc with "How Can I Be Down" is ok in my book.
The vocals at the end of that are astonishing.

ive only just discovered this album and 'HCIBD' is one helluva sunshine pop ditty

absolutely love it!

you know how sometimes you hear certain songs and wished that it came from The Beach Boys's - well this is one of them for me

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 05:42:16 PM »

I found (and still find) this album to be a weaker than others in it's category (I think it might have something to do with the lack of strong vocals and strong songwriting), but it does warrant repeated listens - it gets better when you know the songs. This type of sound should have been what the BBs were doing in 1967, albeit with stronger voices (a given) and more substance. They might have never fallen off the radar if they'd made some studio sunshine pop instead of Smiley Smile and the lo-fi Wild Honey.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »

Any disc with "How Can I Be Down" is ok in my book.
The vocals at the end of that are astonishing.

ive only just discovered this album and 'HCIBD' is one helluva sunshine pop ditty

absolutely love it!

you know how sometimes you hear certain songs and wished that it came from The Beach Boys's - well this is one of them for me
Hi, tony! Have you heard the demo v-n? I think it's very lovely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjGDHX8r1bg
Weaker or not, but I consistently enjoy this album.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 11:53:42 PM »

My favorite song on this CD has always been Stain Glass Window (or Stained, I don't recall).  My only complaint is that it is just a touch too short.

For other songs in this basic genre, I highly recommend the following (some of these more psych than pure sunshine, and all the better for it):

Billy Nichols: Would You Believe
Twice As Much: You're So Good For Me (or To Me, again I can't recall)
The Parade: Sunshine Girl
Thomas & Richard Frost: With Me My Love
Harmony Grass: Move In A Little Closer Baby (sunshine/psych mixed with The Four Seasons, minus Frankie Valli's falsetto)

Similar, still on the psych side, but mixed with girl group (P.P. Arnold) and soul (Chris Farlowe), I also recommend the following:

P.P. Arnold: The First Cut Is The Deepest (will make you forget all other versions, this one blows them way away)
P.P. Arnold: Everything Is Gonna' Be Alright
Chris Farlowe: Out Of Time (Rolling Stones cover, I like this better, but then I don't like the Rolling Stones)
Chris Farlowe: Ride On (also a Rolling Stones cover, don't like this original either)

And of course Del Shannon had some great psych/almost sunshine songs (ok, they aren't really sunshine at all):

Thinkin' It Over
It's My Feeling
Mind Over Matter
Cut and Come Again
My Love Has Gone
Easy To Say*

*This is probably my favorite of those listed by Del Shannon.

And if you really want to hear a great song completely unrelated to the above (except for the fact that I said the Harmony Grass song sounds like The Four Seasons, minuse Frankie Valli's falsetto), you have to track down The Puppet Song by The Four Seasons.  What a great song, but its neither psych nor sunshine.

EoL
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 11:54:41 PM by Empire Of Love » Logged

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2014, 08:18:38 AM »

Who could forget Yellow Balloon...and it's magical flip-side Noollab Wolley?  [What a disappointment that was!]

The Association were great.  Way better than they often receive credit for.  At least their first 6 or 7 albums.

Don't forget the Turtles.  They had outstanding moments along the path.  Battle of the Bands and Turtle Soup being 2 goodies.  Someone mentioned Nilsson...for sure.  And if you like Harpers Bizarre you might also like The Neon Philharmonic.  Simon and Garfunkle also belong in this coversation
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:20:14 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 11:03:49 AM »

Has anyone ever noticed that towards the end of How Can I Be Down, someone says "keep recording"? This is the first time I've found something like this on my own, I feel special
Zekley produced another version of that song (as Yodar Critch)
THE VISIONS: How Can I Be Down/Threshold Of Love UNI 55031 (1967). I feel that he's singing lead on that version - worth picking up.
Before YELLOW BALLOON cut their album Zekley released two other songs that went onto it as a 45
THE GROUP: Baby Baby It's You/Can't Get Enough Of Your Love WB 5840 I suspect him singing lead on both.
THE FUN AND GAMES album (also a Zekley production) has some great moments, too. Their non-LP 45 We (UNI 55128) is great, too.

Watson, did you hear this?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2015, 12:33:42 PM »

GREAT RECORD!!  3D
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2015, 04:44:07 PM »

My favorite of the obscure BW wannbes from the 60s is that album by Mark Eric 'A Midsummer's Daydream'. That one really hits the mark. I don't know anything about him but he sounds a lot like Brian, and wrote some good melodies for that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfojCdi8s7k

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 09:24:10 PM »

Who could forget Yellow Balloon...and it's magical flip-side Noollab Wolley?  [What a disappointment that was!]

The Association were great.  Way better than they often receive credit for.  At least their first 6 or 7 albums.
Twice agreed. When I saw the final cut, I didn't think it's "Yellow Balloon" in reverse, I thought it's some eastern-flavored ending of some sorts. Maybe performed on sitar. After all, it was 1967. So I play it & quickly realize that they just played the song backwards, plain & simple. Boooring!

I like Association, along with their folkey stuff, they did some of the best psychedelia too, for my money. "Pandora's Golden Heebie Jeebies" is great!

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:09 PM »

My favorite of the obscure BW wannbes from the 60s is that album by Mark Eric 'A Midsummer's Daydream'. That one really hits the mark. I don't know anything about him but he sounds a lot like Brian, and wrote some good melodies for that album.

I have this album aswell. It certainly has a melancholy vibe about it - like a lonely Californian sunset over the ocean.

Very good in parts though with 'Dont Cry Over Me' being my fav. 'Sad Is The Way That I Feel' is also a good track

I gotta heart that just wont stop beating for you, I gotta love that just can’t stop feeling for you
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »

I have this album aswell. It certainly has a melancholy vibe about it - like a lonely Californian sunset over the ocean.

Very good in parts though with 'Dont Cry Over Me' being my fav. 'Sad Is The Way That I Feel' is also a good track

That album is a stonecold Classic. Not a bad track on there. Just beautiful. Though, of course, completely out of time when it came it out in, when was it?, 69 or so?

For those interested I can wholeheartedly recommend the Now Sounds reissue from about 2010 or 2011. It was the second CD reissue and it had a bunch of unissued tracks for a proposed follow-up album. The vibe is even more mellow with a cool jazz & bossa vibe.

markcharles75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2015, 06:42:19 PM »

Love A Midsummer's Day Dream by Mark Eric...If I had to choose a favorite track it would be  "I'd Like To Talk To You"...what a great tune. And I love the bonus track "Place For The Summer"...so awesome.  Love the Yellow Balloon: Panama Red is so so great. Great quirky little track. Short and sweet. We should all start an exclusive definitive Sunshine Pop thread for those interested in that genre. I am always scratching around YouTube looking for hidden nuggets.

"Watch the balloon you buy just to let fly away..."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2015, 07:57:17 PM »

For those interested I can wholeheartedly recommend the Now Sounds reissue from about 2010 or 2011. It was the second CD reissue and it had a bunch of unissued tracks for a proposed follow-up album. The vibe is even more mellow with a cool jazz & bossa vibe.
Do you have a d/l link for this album? I don't care about bossanova, but cool jazz got me interested. Would be nice if you shared this album. Thanks in advance.

I am always scratching around YouTube looking for hidden nuggets.
Not always, but I surf Youtube too for rarities in any genre. Last time I was looking up the horror movie scores & found this hilarious song about a doll-human eater. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrGtxf-8ISc
Enjoy!

tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2015, 09:21:51 PM »

This topic has got me revisiting 'The Yellow Balloon' album

Love it!

'Ive Got a Feeling For Love' has an amazing ending. the last 30 seconds are awesome "i cant wait to make you my (little girl), just cant wait to make you my...."

Also, 'Follow The Sunshine' is a great tune. love how the tempo changes after the first 20 or so seconds

tony p
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:38 PM »

Love A Midsummer's Day Dream by Mark Eric...If I had to choose a favorite track it would be  "I'd Like To Talk To You"...what a great tune. And I love the bonus track "Place For The Summer"...so awesome.  Love the Yellow Balloon: Panama Red is so so great. Great quirky little track. Short and sweet. We should all start an exclusive definitive Sunshine Pop thread for those interested in that genre. I am always scratching around YouTube looking for hidden nuggets.

i would love that as im just now getting into the genre

would love to know of some more gems

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx