gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:12:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Dennis were alive today  (Read 12652 times)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2006, 06:06:28 PM »

Dennis was scheduled to do a solo tour in '77.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2006, 06:28:19 PM »

Well, he was known for frequently mounting...never mind!

Great thread, IMO. I think if Dennis And Carl were around today, we would all be paying to see the real Beach Boys.

And I Think it would be BBPS Instead Of BWPS

Or The Wilson Bros. Present SMiLE

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »

Quote from: Yip Jump

Knowing Carl, he would have made sure it was the Beach Boys, not just the Wilson Brothers.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2006, 11:17:33 PM »

But I have a hunch that he might have joined Brian these last five years with Pet Sounds and Smile.

What makes you think Brian/Melinda would've wanted him in the band. First of all, his drumming wasn't good enough. Second, well, there's a lot of seconds, and thirds...

If Carl were still alive, I think Dennis WOULD still be touring with Mike and Bruce, picking up a check and picking up, well, you know.... police

Dennis could play just about anything. I heard that he played most of the instruments on POB. I think the question would be weather management would allow Dennis or Carl to join
Brian. I don't think Brian would have a problem with it. Plus I am sure they would rather have them then Al Jardine, and he is with Brian now.

I've spoken with people involved in the making of POB - don't believe all of the credits (not unlike Brian's 1988 album). There's one interview where Dennis claims he played tuba on one track...

Best I know, on the album he played some drums (but not all, or even most - other drummers used were Bobby Figueroa and Hal Blaine, plus Ricky Fataar on some older tapes used), a whole mess of keyboards and harmonica. I'd have to say, it was Denny's keyboard playing that really made that album - iffn you don't believe, check the intro/outro to "Thoughts Of You", or the synth washes and slabs anywhere else on the set.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:28:55 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beckgtr09
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long......

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2006, 11:24:05 PM »

Dear Friends,
I often wonder what "would have been " if Dennis and Carl were alive today what would of happened. I've been a member of a fan club called FRIENDS OF DENNIS WILSON based out of San Jose, California since 1990 or so. If Dennis and Carl were alive, that would be interesting. I think Dennis would of left The Beach Boys once Brian was let go and folowed his heart as a solo performer. Yeah even though the last year of Dennis' life was in deep trouble. It was finally catching up with him. If Carl was still with us, maybe we'd would of had more stuff he did with Robert Lamm and Gerry Beckley. When Carl died, it truly the end of the band forever. I once read a quote about how the three Wilson Brothers were the core of the band. I'd like to add my comment about that Brian was the brains and innocence of the band, Dennis was the soul ( I mean he's the only one who deserved the title Beach Boy ) and Carl was the soft gentle heart when he took over the band. Although Carl also became the perfectionist after Brian retreated from the band in the early 70's. I just wanted to post my two cents but I put more in than that. Happy New Years everyone and God Bless you and your familes.

Smokin Beckgtr09 = Ted    

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 11:27:13 PM »

[double post]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:28:33 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2007, 07:10:38 AM »

I've spoken with people involved in the making of POB - don't believe all of the credits (not unlike Brian's 1988 album). There's one interview where Dennis claims he played tuba on one track...

Oh, but not you're ruining those fun little myths that make being a fan so fun for people. What's next, no Santa Claus? No, I believe Dennis played everything with virtuosic talent. Oh, and Brian finished a secret SMiLE in his head in 1967.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2007, 07:50:45 AM »

I don't think that Brian would have a solo-carrere at all if Dennis and Carl were still alive. It would be the Beach Boys, like all those years before. I also don't think that Smile would have been finished.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2007, 11:59:37 AM »

I don't think that Brian would have a solo-carrere at all if Dennis and Carl were still alive. It would be the Beach Boys, like all those years before.

That's what I'm thinking too.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2007, 12:27:54 PM »

If if was a skiff, we'd all go for a boat ride.

When I ran into Dennis in the Summer of 1983, he could barely speak. When he did, Carl looked at me like 'there's nothin' we can do.'  The future at that point was sadly, obviously, grim. The band went on without Dennis, but after Carl, the end had arrived. Yes, Mike has carried on in his own world. The major bonus to the sad reality was Brian coming back to the real world in 1999. And Alan, well, I'm glad at least Brian has taken him under his wing again. His Family and Friends were excellent.  Al Jardine is just as important as any of them. And by "them" I mean all those folks who were a part of the greatest rock band ever.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2007, 12:54:20 PM »

Al Jardine is just as important as any of them. And by "them" I mean all those folks who were a part of the greatest rock band ever.

With all due respect Dave, in my opinion, Al Jardine was/is not as important to The Beach Boys as Brian Wilson or Mike Love or Carl Wilson or Dennis Wilson.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »

Al Jardine is just as important as any of them. And by "them" I mean all those folks who were a part of the greatest rock band ever.

With all due respect Dave, in my opinion, Al Jardine was/is not as important to The Beach Boys as Brian Wilson or Mike Love or Carl Wilson or Dennis Wilson.

Agree to disagree. Al Jardine is just as important as all of them, ofcourse he was never in the limelight as the Wilson brothers or their cousin, but his presence definitely had an important impact to the band. Performance and recording wise. I mean, we're talking about the guy who starting to sing Brian's parts...the same man who has all the hardcore fans confused whether its Brian or not on the recording...

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
John
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »

I dunno, I don't think the classic era Beach Boys would have been significantly different had Dave Marks stayed in. I dig Al, but I think perhaps he is a second tier member; the only one of the original five who maybe doesn't make much of a difference to sound or image. Whereas imagining the Boys without Mike, Carl or Denny...
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2007, 03:10:47 PM »

And Alan, well, I'm glad at least Brian has taken him under his wing again. His Family and Friends were excellent.  Al Jardine is just as important as any of them. And by "them" I mean all those folks who were a part of the greatest rock band ever.

And with all due respect, a 60-yr-old man doesn't need to be to be taken under anyone's wing, especially when he is a singer, guitarist and songwriter who was a part of the Beach Boys for 30 years. Brian is taking him under his wing? Please...what the f***...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »

So tell us Luther what other major league event would Al be involved in nowadays if not for Brian realizing that Alan's presence and talent can only make things better on stage?  Do you have a problem with semantics?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 01, 2007, 04:34:34 PM »

I just think the phrase was unnecessary. To say he was taking Al under his wing implies 1) that Al NEEDS someone to coddle him, as if he were some 18-year-old who had never done a show in his life, as opposed to a grown man with an extensive history of being part of a very successful band, and 2) that Brian Wilson is currently capable of somehow guiding or leading anyone, which I doubt he is, by the way.

It isn't a matter of what else Al would be doing.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 01, 2007, 07:11:03 PM »

I'll say this about Al...he was the most consistent and professional of the guys. And yes, that includes Carl. When Carl had his problems with smack, it was up to Al to shoulder the load, and he did admirably. Day in and day out, Al always brought the goods.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2007, 09:03:54 PM »

So tell us Luther what other major league event would Al be involved in nowadays if not for Brian realizing that Alan's presence and talent can only make things better on stage?  Do you have a problem with semantics?

Somewhat doubt it was Brian's idea... in fact, didn't Alan initiate the process himself ?

Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2007, 10:22:08 AM »

I believe he did AGD. But did he have to beg? Doubt  it. We know the results of the shows together all ready. Let's see what comes of the 2 remaining on the schedule. He has that true Beach Boy voice still, right?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2007, 11:39:02 AM »

Without a shadow of a doubt, Alan has the best voice of the surviving members, by a country mile.

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2007, 12:04:12 PM »

I agree with you there AGD. He still sounds like he did on the original records. Then, of course, he didnt really do any damage to his voice throughout these years (or at least from what I know). Mike sounds rough at times these days, but he still has it, so does Bruce actually. But Al still takes the cake vocally

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
MBE
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2007, 10:20:53 PM »

Dennis' voice was MUCH further gone by that point, and he didn't have much to work with to begin with. That's not an insult, just pointing out the fact it wasn't the SOUND of his voice that made it sound good, it was the way he used it.

Actually I like the sound, especally when he was young. I think until 81 he used his "damaged" post 75 voice better then Brian. Those last years though...... who knows if it could have come back. Yet. like Dylan he could have used the damaged voice to his advantage. That is if he had recovered a small part of it.
MBE
« Reply #47 on: January 02, 2007, 10:34:35 PM »

I'll say this about Al...he was the most consistent and professional of the guys. And yes, that includes Carl. When Carl had his problems with smack, it was up to Al to shoulder the load, and he did admirably. Day in and day out, Al always brought the goods.

You took the words right out of my mouth
Glenn Greenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2007, 11:00:49 AM »

the same man who has all the hardcore fans confused whether its Brian or not on the recording...

Oh, come on!  We all know it was Brian singing the girl's part on "Be Here in the Morning" and the vocals at the end of "A Day in the Life of a Tree," right?

Right?

Hello?

Is this thing on...?

Glenn
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2007, 11:00:16 PM »

Quote from: Yip Jump

Knowing Carl, he would have made sure it was the Beach Boys, not just the Wilson Brothers.

I don't think that a band including Mike Love would ever do Smile. Maybe Pet Sounds, but not Smile.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx