gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681017 Posts in 27627 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 06:12:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: If Dennis were alive today  (Read 12717 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:58:12 PM »

I was just wondering what Dennis might be doing today if he were still alive. I am pretty confident that he would NOT be touring with Mike Love today.  My guess is that he would have probably continued his solo career in the 80s and 90s. But I have a hunch that he might have joined Brian these last five years with Pet Sounds and Smile.

Maybe this is a silly subject because we will never know, but it an interesting thing to wonder about.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2006, 07:19:07 AM »

Can you honestly picture Denny as a 62 year old?  I can't...

If he didn't die in 1983 he would have died sometime between then and now.

Still, if he were alive today, I agree he and Carl probably would have joined Brian's band, and hopefully incorporated some of their songs into the setlist like Adam Marsland's band...

Sometimes I can't wait to get to Heaven....

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 08:17:43 AM »

But I have a hunch that he might have joined Brian these last five years with Pet Sounds and Smile.

What makes you think Brian/Melinda would've wanted him in the band. First of all, his drumming wasn't good enough. Second, well, there's a lot of seconds, and thirds...

If Carl were still alive, I think Dennis WOULD still be touring with Mike and Bruce, picking up a check and picking up, well, you know.... police
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 08:24:11 AM »

What makes you think Brian/Melinda would've wanted him in the band.

What makes you think Melinda would've had the ultimate decision on that? Dennis wouldve probably been stuck on keys but Im sure if both of his brothers were alive today, Brian would want them to be there. Family dude, family.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 08:26:10 AM »

If Dennis hadn't died in December 1983, he would have died in January 1984. Maybe February, tops March. His was a soul worn out from within, a life lived at 500mph. Dennis was never destined to see 50, much less 62.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 08:35:51 AM »

What makes you think Brian/Melinda would've wanted him in the band.

What makes you think Melinda would've had the ultimate decision on that? Dennis wouldve probably been stuck on keys but Im sure if both of his brothers were alive today, Brian would want them to be there. Family dude, family.

I think Melinda makes the ultimate decision on almost every Brian career-related issue. I consider her Brian's wife, partner, conservator, and manager. Just my opinion.

Dennis wasn't a good enough keyboard player to be in the band either.

How much do you think Brian values family? Before they died, was Brian close to Dennis and Carl? Or Audrey? What is Brian's relationship like with Carnie and Wendy? Or their husbands? Or his grandchildren? I really don't know, I'm just asking, since you brought up family - dude.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 09:17:46 AM »

If Dennis had somehow made it to see today alive, there would be a good a chance that Brian wouldn't have, considering the way they fed off one another's addictions. So Brian may not have been on the road these past years touring at all, much less with Pet Sounds and Smile. And if Brian still were alive, there's a decent chance he'd be a 320-pound addict and recluse hammering out day-long versions of Shortn'in Bread in his house.

We ought not let out strong feelings of people's music and its beauty alter the sometimes unpleasant facts.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MBE
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »

All very negative here. Brian was much more involved when Dennis was still alive . 1983 shows he would have been healthy Dennis or not. Dennis. if he had lived. would have been in better shape. Meaning that AGD is right that unless he changed he would have been dead soon no matter what. Assuming the best I think Dennis would have made Brian's like a lot happier had he cleaned up too. He and he alone was the only one to ever really treat Brian like a person. Carl tried too, but he was more about maintaining status quo then rocking the boat. Dennis may have prevented Landy from getting too much power, hell he may have not let Melinda have too much either. This is wishfull thinking but I am saying this only assuming that Dennis could regain his own health. I can't see the Beach Boys getting as crappy as they did in the eightes if Dennis was a healthy participent. 
MBE
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 10:01:14 AM »

oops! double post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 10:20:58 AM by Yip Jump » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »

If Dennis hadn't died in December 1983, he would have died in January 1984. Maybe February, tops March. His was a soul worn out from within, a life lived at 500mph. Dennis was never destined to see 50, much less 62.

Agreed.Just from the drinking  alone, he was on borrowed time. Throw in the endless coke, and you've got someone not just knocking on death's door but breaking it down like Kool-Aid Man saying "Oh YEAHHH". Seriously, though, the last few years of his life were rough, and he looked like ass at the end.

Even if he would've cleaned up and lived, he wouldn't have been able to put out any solo albums, unless the songs were instrumental or hada different vocalist. By the time 1983 reared its ugly head, his voice was gone.

Dennis may have prevented Landy from getting too much power, hell he may have not let Melinda have too much either.
I think Landy would've kept Dennis away. If Dennis was clean,though, he would've killed Landy. No way would Landy have been able to completely take over Brian's life to the point of nearly killing him with the meds...Dennis would've beat the living sh*t out of him, at the very least.

Of course, that's only if Dennis was clean. If he wasn't, though, he would've died anyway like I said a minute ago.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 10:47:09 AM »

To SJS - As if Dennis' ability as a drummer or keyboard player has any relevance as to whether he'd be collaborating or participating musically with Brian? That's laughable! You've been watching too many David Leaf movies or something. Dennis was the only being in Brian's realm who had anything remotely resembling Brian's own arsenal...his gifts, his demons, his spirituality, his heart, his sensitivity, his creativity, his fearlessness as an artist...and his deep connections to things that not one of us will ever understand. Dennis was different, he was aggressive, Brian is passive...but Dennis was right there as a soul...the closest thing to Brian. Many have said it besides me. But those who might make mention of drumming ability probably missed that particular bus many times over...or refuse to acknowledge it even exists. Incredible.

As some others with excellent insight have mentioned here, Dennis probably lived longer than he should have. He was done. He'd been dancing on the edge for way too long. If he'd changed then he wouldn't have been Dennis. It's a sad thing but he inevitably had to pay the piper for who he was. Brian STILL knows the connection...that Dennis was fuel, inspiration, truth, and the closest thing to himself. And its still too scary for him to go there...unless he lets you in for a second...then you see it.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 11:40:26 AM »

As if Dennis' ability as a drummer or keyboard player has any relevance as to whether he'd be collaborating or participating musically with Brian? That's laughable! You've been watching too many David Leaf movies or something.
[/b]

Word. Thumbs way up on that one.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 11:46:57 AM »

Quote from: Andrew G. Doe

Quote from: Andrew G. Doe
How much do you think Brian values family? Before they died, was Brian close to Dennis and Carl? Or Audrey? What is Brian's relationship like with Carnie and Wendy? Or their husbands? Or his grandchildren?

More reality than we we can afford in those two quotes.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 11:47:05 AM »

To SJS - As if Dennis' ability as a drummer or keyboard player has any relevance as to whether he'd be collaborating or participating musically with Brian? That's laughable! You've been watching too many David Leaf movies or something.

Jon Stebbins, you are taking what I wrote out of context. Magic Transistor Radio and Goofy Jeff both opined that Dennis would probably join Brian's band. I simply responded that Dennis's drumming and keyboard skills (along with Melinda's veto) would prevent him from being included in Brian's band - in concert, in live performance, on the road. Darian and Jeff have assembled a band of top-notch, highly competent,  LIVE PERFORMING musicians. I don't believe that Dennis had the skills and qualifications to "cut it" in Brian's band. The drummer is extremely important in performing the note for note, complex arrangements that Brian's live shows dictate. I just don't think Dennis could handle it, where musical skills are absolutely necessary. Actually, I'd be surprised if Dennis would even want to perform in Brian's band; it might've be too intimidating for him. In Dennis's later years with The Beach Boys, when the group would play a current, more complex song that he didn't drum on in the studio, he'd leave the stage and let Bobby Figueroa handle it. While I'm not surprised you disagreed with me, I was disappointed that you deviated from the original point - which was joining Brian's band, not collaborating.

Dennis might've collaborated with Brian on some project, big or small, in some studio. And they might've recorded something, although I doubt it. But Dennis collaborating with Brian on music in a studio is a lot different than live performance, and that is what I was addressing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:52:28 AM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 11:49:32 AM »

If Dennis and Carl didn't die, they wouldn't be in "Brian's band" or "Mike's band". They'd be in the Beach Boys.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 01:31:01 PM »

But I have a hunch that he might have joined Brian these last five years with Pet Sounds and Smile.

What makes you think Brian/Melinda would've wanted him in the band. First of all, his drumming wasn't good enough. Second, well, there's a lot of seconds, and thirds...

If Carl were still alive, I think Dennis WOULD still be touring with Mike and Bruce, picking up a check and picking up, well, you know.... police

Dennis could play just about anything. I heard that he played most of the instruments on POB. I think the question would be weather management would allow Dennis or Carl to join
Brian. I don't think Brian would have a problem with it. Plus I am sure they would rather have them then Al Jardine, and he is with Brian now.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 01:33:06 PM »

If Dennis and Carl didn't die, they wouldn't be in "Brian's band" or "Mike's band". They'd be in the Beach Boys.

True, but would Mike, Al, and Bruce be in there, too?

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 01:44:41 PM »

First of all, who says that Dennis has to play an instrument with Brian's group? I am not saying that he would be a permanent member of the Brian's group, but probably would've made some appearences along with Carl and add some vocals.

And yes, this is all asuming Dennis is clean since that would be basically his only chance to be alive today. I know Dennis' vocals were crap before he died, but Brian's was getting pretty bad as well. I don't think there would be any reason why he couldn't recover vocally.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 01:50:35 PM »

Get out! Seriously...have you listened to any of Dennis' stuff? Sure he's had Dragon and others playing some instruments on his tracks but Dennis was becoming a prominent piano player. Like mentioned before he played MULTIPLE instruments on POB...have you even listened to the album? Its the best Beach Boy solo album, and I wouldnt be surprised if Dennis had a lot more to the tracking than what others believe.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 01:52:01 PM »

Dennis' voice was MUCH further gone by that point, and he didn't have much to work with to begin with. That's not an insult, just pointing out the fact it wasn't the SOUND of his voice that made it sound good, it was the way he used it.

Get out! Seriously...have you listened to any of Dennis' stuff? Sure he's had Dragon and others playing some instruments on his tracks but Dennis was becoming a prominent piano player. Like mentioned before he played MULTIPLE instruments on POB...have you even listened to the album? Its the best Beach Boy solo album, and I wouldnt be surprised if Dennis had a lot more to the tracking than what others believe.

Most definitely. He was self-taught, too, wasn't he? If so...wow.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 02:11:57 PM »

Get out! Seriously...have you listened to any of Dennis' stuff? Like mentioned before he played MULTIPLE instruments on POB...have you even listened to the album?
I bought Pacific Ocean Blue in 1977 on the day it was released. It is the best solo album of all the Beach Boys.

However, playing keyboards in the studio and performing music live is like night and day. Brian Wilson today is a good example of this.

Hey, I have  a lot of respect for Dennis Wilson as a songwriter and as a musician. I love his music - all of it, released and unreleased. I'm just trying to apply a little reality to the issue of Dennis performing  Pet Sounds and Smile live.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 02:20:50 PM »

Quote from: Aegir

That's exactly it -- 100%. The Beach Boys would not have broken up in 1998, if both Dennis and Carl were still alive. I believe they would still be together even if only one of the two younger Wilsons still lived.

BTW, given how few shows Brian does per year, his brothers could have joined him on tour without missing their Beach Boys' dates. I also think they would be billed as equals.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 02:27:13 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 03:48:27 PM »

Great thread, IMO. I think if Dennis And Carl were around today, we would all be paying to see the real Beach Boys.

And I Think it would be BBPS Instead Of BWPS

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 04:09:01 PM »

I think it's wrong to say that Dennis wasn't a good enough musician to play in Brian's band.  What I'd gather both from playing with some of those same musicians and from talking to friends of Dennis' is that Dennis would not have had the focus to play in Brian's band.  Dennis was a perfectly competent keyboard player and had a deep pocket as a drummer, but according to Stan Shapiro, he loathed practicing and never played the drums outside the stage or the studio.

My take is that Dennis, when he applied himself, could do anything he pleased, but his attention and commitment often waned.  Jon or Andrew might have a more informed view but that's my impression.

People who were around at the time have suggested to me that not being allowed to mount his own solo tour in '77 was what started Dennis' final spiral.  I've heard some of the rehearsal tapes for that tour and they sound incredible.  So maybe a better question would be to ask what would have happened had Dennis been allowed to do his solo career and stay with the Beach Boys simultaneously?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 04:10:50 PM by adamghost » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 04:38:38 PM »

I think it's wrong to say that Dennis wasn't a good enough musician to play in Brian's band.  What I'd gather both from playing with some of those same musicians and from talking to friends of Dennis' is that Dennis would not have had the focus to play in Brian's band.  Dennis was a perfectly competent keyboard player and had a deep pocket as a drummer, but according to Stan Shapiro, he loathed practicing and never played the drums outside the stage or the studio.

My take is that Dennis, when he applied himself, could do anything he pleased, but his attention and commitment often waned.  Jon or Andrew might have a more informed view but that's my impression.

People who were around at the time have suggested to me that not being allowed to mount his own solo tour in '77 was what started Dennis' final spiral.  I've heard some of the rehearsal tapes for that tour and they sound incredible.  So maybe a better question would be to ask what would have happened had Dennis been allowed to do his solo career and stay with the Beach Boys simultaneously?

What do you mean by 'Mount his solo tour'?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx