gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680755 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 12:34:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Daniel Johnston's cover of God Only Knows  (Read 7824 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2006, 09:05:53 PM »

I had no idea this existed.

Scroll down and you'll see it.

http://obscuresound.com/?p=423

I'd love to see Brian tackle one of Dan's songs.

Hmm...when one of my two favorite artists covers my other favorite...  Smokin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 10:02:28 PM »

That's pretty cool. My favorite one was the Pet Sounds cover.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2006, 08:14:57 AM »

This is actually pretty awful. Here Today is cool because of the bassline, but like the blogger stated, expected duds. Pet Sounds is the only acceptable one, imo.

-edit-
I gotta admit, Im diggin the 'Dont Talk' cover, possibly because its one of my favoritest songs. Has that Plastic Ono Band feel to it. Sort of like idigworm's cover of 'Little Bird'

« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 08:22:34 AM by Joe- » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2006, 08:24:21 AM »

lol. i can say with glee that it sounds exactly like i guessed it might.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2006, 09:58:49 AM »

I liked it. Then again, Dan's voice is an acquired  taste. Don't think that was the best song for him out of Brian's catalogue, but I still liked it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2006, 10:01:37 AM »

I like Daniel, too, somewhat (although not as much as you, based on your avatar). I certainly don't think of him as the genius many people do. In fact, I think his illness causes people to overrate his abilities--I believe that's a common thing for people to do with artists. But I do like some of his performances and plenty of his songs. It says a lot about my feelings about him, though, that I prefer the Discovered Covered tribute disc to his own work most of the time.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2006, 10:26:21 AM »

In fact, I think his illness causes people to overrate his abilities--I believe that's a common thing for people to do with artists.
I actually liked his music before I knew his story. But, yeah, you're right...I've noticed that too, and it annoys the hell out of me. Same thing with Brian.

What I love about Daniel's music  (esp. the earlier work) is the wordplay (he comes up with some real zingers, i.e. "I caught a flat down memory lane") and the fact the he does write some catchy as hell songs.

Maybe my admiration for him music has something to do with why Brian's mid-late 70s demos are my favorite music he's done besides SMiLE/BWPS.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2006, 11:43:16 AM »

I like Daniel Johnston, but I absolutely hate that cover of God Only Knows.

This is probably for two reasons:
1) I'm only familiar with his earlier stuff, so to hear him not singing in that high-pitched voice, not backed by just piano is odd
2) It sounds like he never heard the song before and this is the first take of him trying to record it. They must've got him on a really bad day or something.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »

2) It sounds like he never heard the song before and this is the first take of him trying to record it. They must've got him on a really bad day or something.

I'd say about half of his recorded output could be described that way.

Also, according to his bandmates in the recent documentary about him, that may be close to tue--they claim when they met him, Daniel claimed he had never heard pet sounds.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 11:58:43 AM by Luther » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 12:34:05 PM »

True, but if you hear it with the director commentary, the director laughs at that point because there is  one of Daniel's "audio diaries" that mentions how much he loves the Beach Boys, esp. "In My Room". It would be odd for him not to have heard PS. Of course, "odd" is par for the course, but hey...

BTW...here's an interesting thing about the doc. There's a small section where they actually talk about Brian (complete with a ripoff of Sloop John B in the background), and the director  AND DANIEL'S PARENTS start talking about Brian's Landy-written bio as if it were written by Brian! I had to LOL at that.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:44:13 PM »

Oh, I agree taht daniel had to be putting them on about having never heard ps. That''s why I said they claimed it...as much a student of classic pop as he was, there is no way he'd be unaware.

As for the scene about the book...I had the same reaction. Those poor people, I suppose (as is the case with many who just take things at face value), they'd have no idea how bogus that book is.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 05:26:37 PM »

that cover is terrible......and i like daniel johnston..........at least his early stuff.......i guess he really deteriorated or something..........fu***** awful
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2007, 12:14:20 PM »

Daniel Johnston IS just as much as musical genius as Brian Wilson... at least his early stuff. "Living Life" is classic! =)

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 12:49:02 PM »

Amen to that.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2007, 01:14:42 PM »

Daniel Johnston IS just as much as musical genius as Brian Wilson... at least his early stuff. "Living Life" is classic! =)

Honestly, I never heard of the guy. But, when I read things like the above post, maybe I oughta find out! police
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2007, 02:32:04 PM »

Check out his early stuff...

a lot of it was recorded in his home with minimal and cheap equipment; very scratchy, very coarse.... but sh*t, something about his music that just grabs you and you just fall in love with it no matter how sad or true it is. His music is not something you'll like at first listen, but giving it enough time, it'll take control of your heart.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2007, 02:49:33 PM »

Honestly, I never heard of the guy. But, when I read things like the above post, maybe I oughta find out! police

If you are looking for well-performed and well-produced music or anything in the style of Brian Wilson, you'll be disappointed. I am a semi-fan of D.J. and not trying to dissuade you (although I strongly would disagree with the DJ is a genius idea); I'm just warning you, it has nothing musically in common. Daniel sings mostly out of key, plays piano/keys or guitar in uneven time and basic (although catchy and clever) progressions and writes simple songs. They are sometimes very effective and catchy, and are done with all the heart DJ has been able to muster at any given moment, but they are a far cry technically from what many fans of Beach Boys music might be looking for--hence the various posts on this thread and others we've done about his work.

You might want to go to allmusic or something and listen to some of the preview snippets before buying.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2007, 03:41:25 PM »

If a sonic comparison between Dan & Brian can be made, it'd be the Love You-era demos.

Sheriff...I recommend watching the DVD "The Devil & Daniel Johnston" first. Even if you end up not liking the music, it is a very good story. Be warned,though...Brian is briefly discussed, and the way it is so might piss you off, or at the very least make you roll your eyes...

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2007, 03:45:00 PM »

Good call, The What of Whom. If nothing else, I think most music fans would like the story of the documentary. And Brian fans might relate to certain aspects of Daniel's illness. But you're right about the part when they discuss BBs/BW...

runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2007, 08:29:42 PM »

Well of course he is no 'brian wilson'... but seriously, he's one hell of an artist of many abilities; art, film and of course, music...

He's the only guy that can't play an instrument or sing worth merda... but foda, the way his art comes together, it's magic to my ears. Like a 'brian wilson', Johnston's stuff ranges anywhere from the adorable Surf's Up (Living Life, Speeding Motorcycle) to the rigid cornball of Johnny Carson (The Lennon Song, Casper the Friendly Ghost).

Again, and just like the artsiest of BW stuff, it's not for everyone. So don't hate when you think it's worst music you've ever heard. And yes, that God Only Knows cover blows.

Living Life:

Hold me like a mother would
Like I always knew somebody should
though tomorrow don't look that good
Well, it just goes to show
Though people say we're an unlikely couple
I'm seeing double of you

Oh.
This is life
This is life
And everything's all right
Living living living living living living living living life

Oh
I'm hoping though
because I'm learning to cope
with the emotion-less mediocrity
Oh.
Day-to-day living

Oh
I can't help being restless
When everything's so tasteless
And all the colors seem to have faded away.

Oh.
This is life
This is life
And everything's all right
Living living living living living living living living life

Hold me like a mother would
Like I always knew somebody should, yeah.
though tomorrow don't look that good
Well, just goes to show
Though people say we're an unlikely couple
Doris Day, and Mott the Hoople

Ohhh,..

Ahh...

Life!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx