gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 09:48:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Serge Gainsbourg  (Read 74680 times)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: February 09, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »

Let's keep kicking.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Jason
« Reply #301 on: February 09, 2006, 02:03:39 PM »

Yeah, I don't feel like everything's been said with this thread. Maybe we'll get it to 30 pages, that's my new target.

Ian, what's your thoughts on Du Chant a la Une? His first album.
harveyw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 09, 2006, 03:38:13 PM »

Man I wish some other people would contribute to this thread.

I made a few comments about 15 pages back, but was basically was told to shut up because I was wrong. I'm a big Serge fan & have been collecting his work for the past 12 years or so, but I know when I'm not wanted.
Jason
« Reply #303 on: February 09, 2006, 04:02:39 PM »

Harvey, your views are appreciated by me. Please, continue on with us.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 09, 2006, 08:36:37 PM »

Man I wish some other people would contribute to this thread.

I made a few comments about 15 pages back, but was basically was told to shut up because I was wrong. I'm a big Serge fan & have been collecting his work for the past 12 years or so, but I know when I'm not wanted.

Could you quote that???

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 09, 2006, 08:41:00 PM »

Comparing Polnareff to Gainsbourg is like comparing Bacharach to Zappa. The only reason people compare them is because they're French. Ridiculous.
Ridiculous indeed. However, I wasn't comparing the two artists, just saying I preferred one artist's work to the other's. Even so, I'd say "Polnareff's" and "Melody Nelson" were fairly comparable, as they were released within a few weeks of each other, both are (partly-autobiographical?) concept albums, and both uniquely "French" records. Admittedly the two LPs sound very different, but c'mon, French culture -particularly pop culture- is unlike any other; of course French artists can be compared with each other.
Have you heard "Polnareff's"? Or, eg "Le Bal Des Laze" Ian? If not, you really ought to.

Ahhh, I see.
I didn't mean to come off so rude. I apologise!
I have indeed heard Polnareff's and I love it.

Evenreven
« Reply #306 on: February 10, 2006, 07:08:18 AM »

The little I know about Serge has already been stated by you two more eloquently. That's why I don't contribute. I read it all, though, so please keep posting, Ian and Jason!
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 10, 2006, 07:25:48 AM »

Don't know if anybody knows the reggae track "Libertango" by Grace Jones,  where there's some spoken french parts, which is very Gainsbourg-like, they should have had him do it. It was recorded with Sly and Robbie and some of the other musicians, that were also on "Aux Armes Et Cætera", so who knows maybe it was inspired by their encounter with him, coming to Jamaica to record with them. She was also a little decadent, or at least that was how she staged herself, so they would have made a good couple.

Søren

I've heard of that track, but haven't heard it.

Have you ever read the laundry list of reggae musicians on Gainsbourg's reggae albums? It's shocking.

Oh it's a great track and the rest of the record "Nightclubbing" is also good, same kind of crispy reggae as on Gainsbourgs record. "Libertango" is actually a tango written by "tango nuevo" maestro Astor Piazzolla, it's was a very creative idea to turn it into a reggae and it works beautifully. As far as I can see there was about 10 musicians including three backgorund vocalists on "Aux Armes Et Cætera", that's not so shocking.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Jason
« Reply #308 on: February 10, 2006, 07:42:12 AM »

Well it's shocking in the sense that he actually knew who to find for the reggae albums.
Jason
« Reply #309 on: February 10, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »

Ian, thoughts on Du Chant A La Une?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 10, 2006, 12:11:13 PM »

I need to listen again.

Jason
« Reply #311 on: February 10, 2006, 12:12:33 PM »

I think this is the most cabaret of Serge's jazz material, and the most restrained as far as the performances are concerned. It has at least two bona-fide classics on it.
Jason
« Reply #312 on: February 10, 2006, 05:20:59 PM »

What about No. 2, Ian?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 10, 2006, 05:23:18 PM »

Very underrated, still a BIT straight, but chez cool. The musicians are a little too in-the-pocket, but the whole deal manages to swing under Serge's baton. A great album for cocktails with your special lady, with Percussions and Je T'aime a cool follow-on as the night gets "cozy".

Jason
« Reply #314 on: February 10, 2006, 05:25:45 PM »

Dude, we haven't even discussed Je T'Aime here.

This was the first Gainsbourg song I heard (BIG surprise) and it made me want to look further into him (the fact that the Vatican banned it made me want to even more).

I feel two ways about it now. It's probably his most overrated tune, but it's still a great song. Great melody line.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: February 10, 2006, 05:36:37 PM »

The melody is almost a complete rip of Whiter Shade Of Pale. I like it mainly for Birkin, my goddess-thing.

Jason
« Reply #316 on: February 10, 2006, 05:38:42 PM »

Yeah, I thought it sounded like the Procol Harum song myself. There's a very bare-bones earlier rendition of the melody on the track Scène de Bal 1 from  the movie Les Coleurs Verts.
Jason
« Reply #317 on: February 11, 2006, 09:43:12 AM »

What about L'Etonnant Serge Gainsbourg, Ian?
jazzfascist
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 11, 2006, 10:17:21 AM »

Well it's shocking in the sense that he actually knew who to find for the reggae albums.

I don't know if it's shocking, Sly and Robbie are probably the most famous reggae rhythm group there ever was, everybody seems to have been playing with them at one time or the other, Sly is/was kind of reggaes answer to Steve Gadd. The I-Threes were Marleys background singers, so they were all pretty well-known.
BTW the melody to WSOP and "Je T'aime" really isn't the same, even if they remind of each other. The intro to WSOP was inspired by Bach, something that Gainsbourg might have taken them up on, I think he did use classical music quite often in his music. "Lady Heroin" is also based on a classical theme.

Søren

"How can I come on, when I know I'm filthy"
Jason
« Reply #319 on: February 11, 2006, 10:20:40 AM »

"Lemon Incest", too.
Jason
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2006, 01:50:25 PM »

BUMP!
Jason
« Reply #321 on: February 12, 2006, 08:17:22 PM »

goshdarn it I'mma keep bumping this here thread until SOMEONE responds!
Jason
« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2006, 05:52:46 PM »

Ian, what's your favorite Serge track? After a good month of solid listening, L'Anamour is my favorite.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2006, 06:47:21 PM »

La Decadanse.

theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2006, 09:11:16 PM »

i really am aroused by this wild uninhibited individual...tell me ha anyone heard Vannesa Paradis'92 collab. w/Lenny Kravitz?? it's tres awesome!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx