gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:33:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: He's a Rebel - Spector's greatest moment?  (Read 9581 times)
halblaineisgood
« on: December 19, 2006, 10:39:01 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:28:05 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 10:42:24 AM »

I think Brian prefers the more romantic, "swimmy" style of Spector production.  He also is in love with Ronnie Spector's voice.  The songs Brian has most mentioned in interviews besides "Be My Baby" are "Walking in the Rain" and "Baby, I Love You."  It's a Ronettes thing as well as a Phil thing.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 10:48:05 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:36:06 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 11:55:29 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:33:24 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 08:27:44 PM »

He's a Rebel, Baby I Love You, and Walking in the Rain are all greater songs than "Be My Baby" I think.  "Walking in the Rain" is one of the greatest ever recorded, people will listen to that 500 years from now and hold it up as an example of the love and romanticism that existed in the mid 20th century.  I'm serious. 
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »

"Frosty The Snowman" is a favorite. I think it's one of Hal Blaine's best tracks...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2006, 05:36:04 PM »

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:31:57 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
SG7
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2006, 08:37:34 AM »

Keep On Dancing to me is one of the big gems. The best intro. and its so dramatic. So genius.  Cool
Yorick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 04:02:28 AM »

I think Spector's best moment was I Wish I Never Saw The Sunshine! Afro
halblaineisgood
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2006, 12:56:21 PM »

okay.....wait...I just listened to an original 45 of Be my baby, on a tube amp......and i was blown away. The sound on the back to mono set is pretty awful in comparison.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2006, 01:01:37 AM »

The 'Back To Mono' boxset was released 15 years ago, and cd technology has come a long way since then. I think the reason they're selling it for 12 bucks now, instead of 70, is because they're getting ready to dump it and put out something new. Allen Klein owns the Spector catalog and ABKCO has done a decent job with the Stones re-releases, so maybe the Spector catalog will get its due.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 01:31:52 AM »

Here is a new Phil Spector collection from England that is supposed to have improved sound.

http://www.amazon.com/Phil-Spector-Collection/dp/B000K2Q8DQ/sr=1-1/qid=1168075855/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-7182886-8584136?ie=UTF8&s=music

Here's a new Paris Sisters collection: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Phil-Spector-Sessions/dp/B000J10JW4/ref=pd_sim_m_4/102-7182886-8584136
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 01:34:08 AM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 02:04:18 AM »

I thought "He's A Rebel"  was the finest moment for Hal Blaine - and perhaps the finest moment for drums in rock as well.
Something that seemed to be lost I think by Springsteen when he went for a Spector-like sound in 1974-75 was that Spector gave the drummer relatively free reign.   (or perhaps Bruce just consciously differed on this). 

halblaineisgood
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 05:47:27 AM »

exactly brother! I dunno what springsteen was usin, but you cant get a hal blaine sound with a click track. There's so much give and take, so many ways to accent the beat. Mr. Blaine does it in spades. and thats a good thing.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2007, 12:49:30 PM »

uh maybe you can do hal blaine on a click track....I dont really know anything about click tracks......now lets all go out for some frosty chocolate milkshakes!
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 12:29:52 AM »

exactly brother! I dunno what Springsteen was usin, but you cant get a hal blaine sound with a click track. There's so much give and take, so many ways to accent the beat. Mr. Blaine does it in spades. and thats a good thing.

Ernest  Carter, the jazz inclined drummer who played on ('Born To Run' the single) was actually pretty free to play a bit on the track.   But (BTR the single) was recorded several months before the rest of the album.  In the interim Carter with keyboardist David Sancious quit the band, presumably to play jazz.  Springsteen hired Max Weinberg and Roy Bittan to replace them.  Springsteen for some reason did a 180 and decided at this point to go with very tightly controlled drumming.   Max, who I think of as fairly conservative by nature, was, (wisely as it has turned out) ok with this approach.  He is quite more skilled than he gets to show on that album, an amazing and enduring drummer. 
Former manager Mike Appel said that Bruce absolutely was conciously trying to duplicate the Spector wall of sound - right down to flatter-than-Twiggy mono on a couple of the tracks, so it seems odd that he either missed or differed on the drums.     
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:33:39 AM by mikee » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 04:46:49 AM »

Just got me the "River deep mountain high"-album by Ike&Tina on vinyl, produced by Spector. A great record and the title song really sounds like one of the best. So my vote goes to "River deep" with a special mention of "You've lost that loving feeling", but in terms of songwriting because Elvis' version blows everything away imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 12:26:31 AM »

So my vote goes to "River deep" with a special mention of "You've lost that loving feeling", but in terms of songwriting because Elvis' version blows everything away imo.

Then it would be a greatest moment special mention for Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil    (although Spector has been said to have “helped out” with the bridge).

Elvis and Phil
Spector did produce some instrumental tracks that were used by Elvis as demos.  Spector has claimed that that Elvis sometimes used his backing-tracks for released songs, with Elvis just providing a new vocal, rather than re-recording them with his own band.  I don't know about that, but it would be interesting to hear the demos.  I'm uncertain if they are in circulation and specifically what songs are involved.

Darlene Love of Spector's Crystals become part of The Blossoms who worked with Elvis.  They were in the show when I saw Elvis in Jan. 1970.   Love sang a lead vocal on the gospel song 'Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child'.

1972 Spector introduced his bodyguard Mike Stone to Elvis.  Stone subsequently had an affair with Priscilla that led to Priscilla & Elvis’ divorce.       -'You've Lost That Loving Feeling'

« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 12:32:49 AM by mikee » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 04:45:18 AM »

[
Elvis and Phil
Spector did produce some instrumental tracks that were used by Elvis as demos.  Spector has claimed that that Elvis sometimes used his backing-tracks for released songs, with Elvis just providing a new vocal, rather than re-recording them with his own band.  I don't know about that, but it would be interesting to hear the demos.  I'm uncertain if they are in circulation and specifically what songs are involved.

No, that's not ture. He produced some of the demos, but Elvis always cut a new backing track. In case of "Night rider" it's been said that they didn't get to beat Spector's demo, I never heard the demo though. But Elvis never sang over an Spector-track, he always produced the stuff himself.

Spector was also in the audience of the sit-down-shows of the comeback. You can see him at one point during "Memories" (and proabably at some other points), I think it was the second show, where Elvis did "Tiger man".

I heard about Spector having co-written "You've lost....", that's why I mentioned it. Anyway, Elvis blew him away imo.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2007, 02:09:01 AM »

« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 02:14:05 AM by mikee » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2007, 01:33:06 AM »

I take this thread back.....

Edit: true dat. except for He's a Rebel being great. That's still true as ever. Starting threads. Glad I got through that phase.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 04:38:54 AM by PhilBriBallet » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2007, 01:36:28 AM »

And speaking, of river Deep mountain high. thats gotta to be the one spector track I've never heard Brian mention in an interview.(come to think of it Ive never heard hime mention He's a rebel either) he Must not''ve been a fan?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2007, 04:14:10 AM »

And speaking, of river Deep mountain high. thats gotta to be the one spector track I've never heard Brian mention in an interview.(come to think of it Ive never heard hime mention He's a rebel either) he Must not''ve been a fan?

Brian recorded "River deep mountain high" in the early 80s. Still unreleased but booted.
Also H&V has a very similar bassline like "River deep..."

- Jack Rieley
SG7
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2007, 01:26:23 PM »

I always thought H & V and "Do I Love You" (especially the intro.) really sounds similar. Has anyone ever thought that too or am I just crazy?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 12:07:37 AM »

Now that you mention it yes. I guess they both copped a few licks from each other....Be my baby/dont worry baby, surfin safari/da doo ron ron, river deep/H & V,
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx