gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:50:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Of Montreal, "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?"  (Read 7789 times)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »

Wow. I have been listening to this Jan 07 disc...

First of all, for any talk over the past two O.M. albums about them incorporating 80s dance or electronica into their music, THIS is the one that actually does it. Kevin Barnes is seriously channeling Prince (in a good way) here.

But second...it is like a completely different composer. Barnes is DARK through a lot of this. I am actually shocked by this, as a fan of Of Montreal. Don't misunderstand--it's very good. VERY good. But so unexpected, even though I've seen a few of these songs performed live and heard various, previously-leaked versions. Holy sh*t...this is not your usual Of Montreal.

I'll say this, I prefer it to the Shins upcoming 07 disc by a factor of 10.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 11:33:12 AM »

This album really is great and Luther is right on with everything here.  Very Prince-like in a fantastic way! 

I really like the upcoming Shins record as well, but you are right, this OM album leaves it in the dust.

By the way, Luther, I'm sorry we didn't work out that trade that we talked about with this album.  I had a lot going on at the time and then it slipped my mind.  I'm glad you got a copy and hope that we can have a no harm no foul kinda thing on the deal!  I'm very sorry!

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:17:48 PM »

I wonder what happened to Kevin.  This isn't the same man that brought us "Cherry Peel," "Bedside Drama," and "The Gay Parade."  This new Of Montreal sucks..  I've been a fan since 1999 and this is totally disappoint--what happened to this band.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »

I wonder what happened to Kevin.  This isn't the same man that brought us "Cherry Peel," "Bedside Drama," and "The Gay Parade."  This new Of Montreal sucks..  I've been a fan since 1999 and this is totally disappoint--what happened to this band.

What do you dislike? Is it the lyrical content, the music, both, neither? And whatever it is, what about it?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:03:53 AM »

i got into Of Montreal with Gay Parade and like them up to Satanic Panic, which was the album i though Aldhil's should have been.
but i got the impression from what people were saying that this new kevin barnes' "solo" version of Of Montreal was just a stop gap until a proper fully fledged OM album came out.
and then Sunlandic Twins came out, which i hated. i can appreciate that its a different style to the older stuff, but it just sounded so half arsed and empty and unfinished.
so whats Hissing Fauna like compared to these last two albums? is it just Sunlandic part 2, or is it more developed than that?
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 11:26:56 AM »

i got into Of Montreal with Gay Parade and like them up to Satanic Panic, which was the album i though Aldhil's should have been.
but i got the impression from what people were saying that this new kevin barnes' "solo" version of Of Montreal was just a stop gap until a proper fully fledged OM album came out.
and then Sunlandic Twins came out, which i hated. i can appreciate that its a different style to the older stuff, but it just sounded so half arsed and empty and unfinished.
so whats Hissing Fauna like compared to these last two albums? is it just Sunlandic part 2, or is it more developed than that?

My guess is that if you didn't like Sunlandic, you won't like Hissing Fauna.  I loved Sunlandic and I think the new one is even better, but chances are if you didn't like the direction Kevin was going in, this one won't do much for you.  Very much a dancy record.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 01:35:41 PM »

people were saying that this new kevin barnes' "solo" version of Of Montreal was just a stop gap until a proper fully fledged OM album came out.

Very much not the case. Of Montreal has ALWAYS been pretty much a Kevin Barnes solo effort, with some contributions. The first few albums were pretty much just him. Gay Parade and Coquelicot were pretty much him putting down basic tracks after he wrote songs, but using more guests to fill out the sound. Adhils was really the only album that was what you might call a "true band" album, and even there he wrote the vast bulk of the material.

The dance-style isn't a result of him working alone; it's just that he is into it. I talked to him both on the Adhils tour and again just as Satanic was coming out, and he kept saying how into 80s dance he had always been, and how he really planned to go that route. Sometime between those two points, he did a little tour of a "play" with his now-wife, Nina, and his brother David, and they had a lot of pre-programmed, dance stuff in there.

Obviously, it is a pretty sharp departure from those 60s-influenced albums, but it isn't just a way to bide time or get product out while he works on a "real" Of Montreal album--this is as real an Of Montreal sound as any other one was.

Like Cosmic Dancer said, though, if you disliked Sunlandic Twins, you're pretty sure to dislike this one. It is more electronic, by far. And the lyrics are really, really dark and cynical (comparatively speaking--certainly not the Sunshine-Kevin of the previous albums).

koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 06:31:21 AM »

oh yeah, OM has always been Kevin's baby.
even so, Gay Parade, Ccquelicot and Aldhil's were still "band" efforts in that there's no way they can be considered to be a Kevin Barnes solo project with him playing everything. OM band members' contributions were just as important.
Here's what Kevin said about Satanic Panic before its release on his message board:  "it has turned out to be more of a solo album with people helping out here and there", which implies that he considered this to be a different album to the ones before it if he's calling it a "solo" album.

i just wonder why he hasnt picked up the band again? or maybe they dont want to be involved? who knows.......

TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »

got my copy last night..  totally blows.

anyone who has been a fan of Of Montreal since the late 90s, can't possibly stomach this garbage.

it's a totally different band.  rename it, pronounce of montreal dead, and get on with it.
this is sell out, electronic merda..  my wife and i actually laughed out loud and some of the
rediculous background vocals and sound effects.. especially the second half the album..
that is the worst half i've ever heard.

the EP that comes with it wasn't AS BAD as the album.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 02:18:48 PM »

anyone who has been a fan of Of Montreal since the late 90s, can't possibly stomach this garbage.

it's a totally different band.  rename it, pronounce of montreal dead, and get on with it.
this is sell out, electronic merda..  my wife and i actually laughed out loud and some of the
rediculous background vocals and sound effects.. especially the second half the album..

I have been (a fan since the late 90s), and I can (stomach what you call garbage; in fact I call it quite good). But I know a lot of people share your opinion.

Don't misunderstand that what you are calling ridiculous (well, rediculous...) is intentionally so. As usual, KB is over the top. It's for fun. It's no different than the spoken word stuff on Coquelicot in terms of being just silly...it's just differently silly. It is meant to be fun, to be pop. Before you call it "selling out" I'd recommend paying attention to the lyrics, not to mention the pretty complex editing work.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:22:46 PM »

i just wonder why he hasnt picked up the band again? or maybe they dont want to be involved? who knows.......

Different reasons for different people.

One, Kevin has spent a good deal of time with his wife in Norway. Obviously, the band isn't there.

Two, he has always pretty much done as much as he was capable of doing  by himself (with the exception of Adhils)--it's just that as he has gotten software and digital editing capabilities that he didn't have for albums like Petite Tragedy.

Three, they're all in multiple bands, not just OM. So Bryan Poole is off touring sometimes as Late Great BP Helium, or with other Athens bands. Same for Dottie and the others.

There's an interview I did with him on 30music.com somewhere in which he talks about the process of recording on his own v live shows, and how he likes doing the former on his own.

CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 05:46:12 AM »

I have been (a fan since the late 90s), and I can (stomach what you call garbage; in fact I call it quite good). But I know a lot of people share your opinion.

Don't misunderstand that what you are calling ridiculous (well, rediculous...) is intentionally so. As usual, KB is over the top. It's for fun. It's no different than the spoken word stuff on Coquelicot in terms of being just silly...it's just differently silly. It is meant to be fun, to be pop. Before you call it "selling out" I'd recommend paying attention to the lyrics, not to mention the pretty complex editing work.

I am a fan from that time period as well and I love Hissing Fauna.  It is way different than any of the pre-Sunlandic albums and I kinda figured when I heard it that some long time fans would hate it, but I don't think that calling Kevin a sellout is in order here.  I mean honestly, just like Luther said, have you listened to the lyrics?  This certainly isn't light hearted "feel good" stuff that everyone will relate to!  Also, I don't think this form of dance music with all the "ridiculous" background vocals is going to resonate with most of the buying public either.  Again, I'm with Luther.  The background stuff is no more over the top and  crazy than anything Kevin has done before on past albums.

If you want to talk sellout, at least bring up the Outback commercial.  And for the record, I don't see that as selling out either but it would be a better case for it than the new record is.  The man doesn't sell a ton of records and he has a kid to feed now!

Heaven forbid an artist, gasp, make some money off of his craft!!  Shocked  Roll Eyes

koeeoaddi there
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 08:46:07 AM »

i dont see how saying "ooh the lyrics are dark" stops this being a sellout.
i *could* look at this album as Kevin releasing Satanic Panic as something different, and then all of a sudden people take notice. OM are no the longer Elephant 6 runts they were.
He then thinks "Ooh this is getting me noticed. I'll do this instead" and makes Sunlandic Twins and now Hissing Fauna.
OK so OM are never gonna be huge, but there are plenty of people all over the internet jupping on board from Satanic Panic onwards who have just dismissed the earlier albums almost as if they're by another band.

on the other hand, i *could* think well maybe Kevin has gotten into 80s music and is making different music as a result.
and if thats the case then good luck to him. its not my cup of tea, but i wouldnt begrudge him.

as yet, i dont know which view i hold. i'm coming down on the 2nd view, but there's something so forced about OM's new image. have you seen their new website?
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 01:47:20 PM »

i dont see how saying "ooh the lyrics are dark" stops this being a sellout.

I don't think it is purely a matter of their new darkness, it is that they are heavy subject matter (sometimes, not wholly) done with his typical intelligence. If he were selling out or dumbing down, he'd jump onto a bandwagon of what kind of music sells (which isn't the sort he is releasing with this album) and making throwaway lyrics. He clearly worked very hard on this album, and that isn't the sort of thing most artists do when they are selling out.

I really think it is wrong of us--and I mean all of us, universally speaking, and not you on this topic alone--to blame artists for us not liking their work. If a person or band wants to release something and we dislike it because it is too [similar to old stuff][different than old stuff][light][heavy][poppy][deep][whatever], it really has nothing to do with them. It has to do with us. And because we have the power of the purse, it's a simple solution.

Like Cosmic said, it is different and I know a lot of people will hate it. Others will come aboard and like it. Either way, I am glad they're doing well because they're great people and I think KB is one of the most talented writers and producers out there.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2007, 07:20:43 AM »

Allmusic.com has posted its review: 4 stars. Here is the text, by Scott McClintock.

After an impressive showing with 2004's Satanic Panic in the Attic, and a jubilant follow-up in 2005's Sunlandic Twins, Of Montreal captain Kevin Barnes fell on some peculiar times. The birth of a daughter, alienation and depression in Norway, and subsequent separation from his wife and new child gave him plenty to mull over, work out, and serve up on 2007's Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? At first glance, longtime Of Montreal followers might throw up their arms in dismay as Barnes moves well away from the usual slice-of-life character studies he's made such good use of over the past few years. No pop-challenged London cabbies or paranoid senior citizens here. No, sir. In fact, it's all about him -- every stitch of it. It's Barnes trying to woo himself out of a deep funk ("Suffer for Fashion," "Sink the Seine," and especially "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse"), lashing out ("She's a Rejecter"), or taking a dip in the self-pity pool (the epic wallower "The Past Is a Grotesque Animal" is nearly 12 minutes of drone-dance affirmations). It's an alarming listening experience at first. Where's the self-assured, polished pop maestro who made such a fine showing on the past two albums? He took one hell of a beating, that's for sure. The Barnes heard here has a bone to pick, issues to work out, and a big ol' chip on his shoulder -- and, man, does it show. The music and production reflect this as much as the lyrical content. Barnes throws every trick in his book at every arrangement, lending every track a definite "I'll show you!!" vibe. And show he does. The explosive opener, "Suffer for Fashion," exceeds every over-the-top anthem he's ever penned in one 2:58 ejaculation, and the alternately swaggering and smooth "Cato as Pun" melds a gutsy guitar riff with a gorgeously fussed-over verse. In terms of production, it's quite an achievement -- the whole thing -- and, coupled with the bile and bitterness of the lyrics, makes for an exhausting experience in the headphones. There may be stray moments of whimsy, in the tunes and verse, but they are scant, and they hardly provide the lighthearted breathing room that fans are used to receiving from the man. "Light" is not a word useful in describing any portion of this excursion, and the serious tone of this record may cause some hand-wringing among even the dedicated. It's a challenging yet ultimately rewarding album -- and one that definitely requires some thoughtful attention of the listener.

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 08:13:43 AM »

I've tried Of Montreal many, many times before -- I had so many people recommend "Satanic Panic" to me I virtually had it tattooed on my forehead! -- and nothing ever clicked. This record, however,  made me stand up and take notice. Garbage? Hardly. Its a totally strange amalgam of pure synth-driven new-wave and Beatle-like melodicism, and I find it utterly fascinating in a way that their previous kind of sloppy Elephant 6 twee pop song style was not.

sellout electronic merda

Y'know? Its funny. Some people *like* electronic music. And some of those people view playing analog instruments as a sellout. Who's right, I wonder?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 11:07:12 AM »

their music makes me want a blooming onion.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 06:17:38 AM »

I know----ancient topic. But it's got me to listen to a band whose name was known to me but whose music was not. I'm in the middle of listening to this apparently polarizing album. And I like what I'm hearing. More tomorrow, beginning with the long track, "The Past Is A Grotesque Animal". H'mm.     

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 07:43:46 AM »

Be sure to sample a couple eras. I'd recommend Gay Parade, Satanic Panic, Hissing Fauna, false Priest, and Lousy With Sylvianbriar. I think you'll find them pretty dramatically different (hence the disdain shown for Hissing on its release, for example), yet very obviously of the same guy. It's all obviously of a piece, despite being stylistically disparate.

To me, his genre-hopping is like clothing, just outer decoration on the same guy's mostly-the-same technique/style.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 12:20:41 PM »

Be sure to sample a couple eras. I'd recommend Gay Parade, Satanic Panic, Hissing Fauna, false Priest, and Lousy With Sylvianbriar. I think you'll find them pretty dramatically different (hence the disdain shown for Hissing on its release, for example), yet very obviously of the same guy. It's all obviously of a piece, despite being stylistically disparate.

To me, his genre-hopping is like clothing, just outer decoration on the same guy's mostly-the-same technique/style.

A couple eras... I have a policy of listening to (or buying) just one album per artist/band simply because of the vast number of interesting musicians out there. But I'll do my best and see what YouTube has to offer. Thanks for the info and the advice, cap'n.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

A couple eras... I have a policy of listening to (or buying) just one album per artist/band simply because of the vast number of interesting musicians out there. But I'll do my best and see what YouTube has to offer. Thanks for the info and the advice, cap'n.

I totally get that. The reason I suggest it is that, while I have spoken of what I hear as an underlying foundation, other comments here and elsewhere always lead me to believe other people find this to be not just one band, but half a dozen totally different entities across a couple decades. So I'd hate for you to hear one thing, not like it, and dismiss the rest, when it's quite possible you could like some other era. To make it easy and free, here are some links:

The Gay Parade (1999): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xob5dhGWr38

Satanic Panic in the Attic (2004): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqUdlAPchlo

False Priest (2010): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9IA6IFnxZs

Lousy With Sylvianbriar (2013): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBuIc2p3xXA

People could quibble with what I'm calling the representative albums--every one is its own little mini-era, its little evolutionary step--but to me these are the ones that really jump out as both unique and good (along with Hissing Fauna, which you are listening to already). Enjoy! I am curious what you'll think.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 05:50:13 PM »

By the way, if I come off like a bit of a fanboy with of Montreal ... it's true. I think they're the most compelling act of the past 20 years. I'm a huge fan of Kevin Barnes, even as I see some flaws there. He's not the Beatles, he's not the Beach Boys, he's not the Zombies, he's not Prince, he's not Dylan, even though he's spent some time chasing each of them. But he's really creative and focused. The results have been a fucking blast: some really good recordings and bacchanalian shows (with sometimes great music). He is, as are the various other members I've met or known over the years, a real sweetheart, too. A true music fan.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2015, 04:37:40 AM »

Thanks for the links, cap'n. I've now listened to Hissing Fauna and Satanic Panic in their entirety. Next up is False Priest.

I think I should really listen to all your suggestions and digest them before commenting. Although I must say it's been one heck of a trip so far!   

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »

False Priest proved a tough nut to crack. That was Tuesday, and I was ready to throw in the towel halfway through. I found it an oppressive listen.

The next day, I soldiered on to the end of it, played the first few tracks of The Gay Parade and briefly dipped into LWS but I already knew the score.

It was the first two I'd listened to, Fauna and Panic, that really grabbed me. (In fact I couldn't stop singing "Come disconnect the dots with me, poppet" all day, lol.)

Two stunning albums. Thank you, cap'n. :=)   

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »

Well there you go! If you liked those two, there's a natural third for you to try: The Sunlandic Twins, which fell between the two. Glad you found something you liked, and hope you find a bit more. Happy listening.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx