gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:32:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Modern Folk Quartet - This Could Be the Night (1965)  (Read 8752 times)
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 29, 2006, 07:04:53 PM »

OH MY GOODNESS, this track is absolutely amazing, and it sounds exactly like Pet Sounds! I'd be absolutely surprised if Brian didn't listen to this song when it came out. I suggest you all listen if you haven't!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 07:22:55 PM »

I believe this song was recorded in 1966 when Phil was trying to put together a rock group but the song was never officially released in the USA until the Back To Mono Boxset was released in 1992. Chip Douglas was in the Modern Folk Quartet, he did the arrangement and played bass on the Turtles single "Happy Together" and later went on to produce 'Headquarters' and 'Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones LTD' for the Monkees. He also played bass on Headquarters and PASC & J LTD.

And yes, it is a great song. Harry Nilsson co-wrote the song with Spector. Barney Hoskyns describes the song, in his book about the L.A. music scene 'Waiting For The Sun', as "wall of sound Beach Boys."

Not sure why it was never released.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:31:04 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 06:03:03 AM »

OH MY GOODNESS, this track is absolutely amazing, and it sounds exactly like Pet Sounds! I'd be absolutely surprised if Brian didn't listen to this song when it came out. I suggest you all listen if you haven't!

Brian heard it before it was released - he was at the session. In 1973, he wanted to record it, but Phil wouldn't give him the tape, and he couldn't remember it properly.

The track was released in the UK in the late seventies on a Phil rarities compilation.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 06:04:15 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 11:56:24 AM »

In 1973, he wanted to record it, but Phil wouldn't give him the tape, and he couldn't remember it properly.

You mean Brian wanted to record new vocals over the track that Spector produced? With the Beach Boys? And what couldn't Brian remember properly?

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 12:07:10 PM »

The Big TNT show itself is an excellent concert movie.  I believe it was filmed at the auditorium later known as the Aquarius Theatre 6230 Sunset Blvd  on Sunset in E. Hollywood.  It’s still there although I don’t know what they are using it for now. 

Brian Wilson covered the song in 1995 on the ‘For the Love of Harry - Everybody Sings Nilsson’ LP.  According to MFQ member Henry Diltz,  Brian was present in his robe and pajamas, at the conclusion of the recording session for the song.  MFQ rehearsed with Spector joining in a lot during this time at Spector’s house. It’s a shame that the song was not released but at least nobody got shot.       
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 12:24:51 PM »

Geez, Brian was going out in public in his robe and pajamas as early as 1966?

Considering how paranoid and insecure Spector is, I'm surprised he was so nice to Brian and let him come to his studio sessions. I wonder how that was set up? Did Brian call up Sonny Bono or Jack Nitzsche?

mike8902
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2006, 06:49:55 PM »

I like brians version better than the original

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »

In 1973, he wanted to record it, but Phil wouldn't give him the tape, and he couldn't remember it properly.

You mean Brian wanted to record new vocals over the track that Spector produced? With the Beach Boys? And what couldn't Brian remember properly?

Like, where do I say Brian wanted to put his vocals over the Spector track, huh ? Brian wanted to record his own version of it (solo, or maybe with David Sandler), but he couldn't remember too much of either the melody or the lyric, and his request to Phil for a tape copy went unanswered. In 1973, he wasn't doing much of anything with The Beach Boys

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 04:56:52 PM »

When I got the Back To Mono box back in the early 90's I couldn't believe that it was left unreleased. Phil must have been having some serious judgemental problems back then. Maybe due to the failure of "River Deep"
"This Could Be The Night" is awesome, I totally ripped the production style on my track "Coming Soon"    http://www.myspace.com/valleyrecords
I find Brian's Version a bit disapointing.

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2006, 01:06:10 AM »

Harry Nilsson  recorded a version of the song with two additional verses during sessions for an album that was tentatively titled "Papa's Got A Brown New Robe".   He finished the vocals for the album on Jan. 15, 1994 then died that night from heart failure.  The album has never been released but the newer version of "T.C.B.T.N." appears on a 2006 promotional cd "Perfect Day - The Songs Of Nilsson".
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 01:07:14 AM by mikee » Logged
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 10:19:44 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nyxyhFxDok

Dusting off this ancient thread because it's noteworthy that the very first version of this song to see release as a record, in 1975, was produced by Bruce - linked above.  It's from David Cassidy's album The Harder They Fall. (The MFQ original never appeared on an actual record until 1976 when it came out in the UK on a compilation album of rare Spector productions.)

This version is credited to Harry Nilsson/David Cassidy because David added an intro to the song...and also slightly altered a chord here and there.  I presume Bruce was the one who told him about TCBTN.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »

My memory may be a bit faulty and I don't have the article anymore, but Richard Williams did a piece in Melody Maker (or was it New Musical Express?) around '73 on Brian.  I think it was part of a series called "Rock Giants A-Z".  In any case, I believe the implication in the article was that Brian was looking to record "This Could Be The Night" with American Spring.  Also in that article, Brian had played something for Williams that he swore Williams to secrecy about, as the thought was that, if anyone knew the song Brian was covering, they'd steal his idea and have a monster hit.  Though it was never mentioned by title, I think the "secret" song was Brian doing a version of "Shortnin' Bread"... go figure...
backtothebeach
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 03:00:18 PM »

I love this song so much. There's just something special about it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2016, 06:23:11 PM »

I heard Brian's version before the MFQ version; never would have connected it with Nilsson.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 03:28:14 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nyxyhFxDok

Dusting off this ancient thread because it's noteworthy that the very first version of this song to see release as a record, in 1975, was produced by Bruce - linked above.  It's from David Cassidy's album The Harder They Fall. (The MFQ original never appeared on an actual record until 1976 when it came out in the UK on a compilation album of rare Spector productions.)

This version is credited to Harry Nilsson/David Cassidy because David added an intro to the song...and also slightly altered a chord here and there.  I presume Bruce was the one who told him about TCBTN.
Interesting info as usual. Um, well, it's sort of better than the "classic" version, I like David's voice, for sure, but that's about it. The song's melody must be one of the dullest my ears heard.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx