gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 04:54:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Yellow Submarine  (Read 13080 times)
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:24:12 AM »

People moan about Sloop John B on Pet Sounds - wrongly in my opinion a.)  I think it's a great song and piece of music  b.) It gives a bit of pacing somehow to the album.  Doesn't sound out of place at all to me.

But what about 'Yellow Submarine' on Revolver?!  I have to say, I know it's a sort of children's song (along with whatever drug references there might be) but I find it very irritating and I really don't like it much.  I think it let's an otherwise really great album down a bit (but not that much!)

What do others think?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
king of anglia
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 03:36:37 AM »

Agreed. Replace Eleanor Rigby and Submarine with Paperback Writer and Rain. All singles at some point so it doesn't ruin the 'no singles on albums' philosophy.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 06:44:41 AM »

I think that's a pretty uncontroversial opinion. I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody who disagrees with you.

EXCEPT ME.

I find it not in the least bit irritating. In fact, I find it absolutely guileless and sweet. There's something so righteously innocent about that one -- screw the "drug references," cause I'm not biting, I think this is actually an attempt to write a genuinely cute children's song -- see also "Goodnight." Both songs I sang as lullabies to my daughter growing up, and both songs she loved, so I'd say both songs worked just fine.

If growed-up rock hipsters are too cynical to like it, it can't be helped. I'm glad it exists for the kids. I know *I* loved it as a kid as well.

Love the melody, too, and I'm a big defender of Paul's "nonsense songs" like "All Together Now," because I think he has a way with an almost painfully simple melody that is virtually unmatched. And I dig the production and the gooning dialogue in the middle. And I *adore* Ringo's performance. He's great for the kids: see also, again, "Goodnight."
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 06:54:45 AM »

i totally agree, sloop john b great, yellow submarine: overrated!
also, about the movie, it's not that great....Magical Mystery Tour is better, at least there's some Beatles involvment.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Evenreven
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 06:57:58 AM »

Sub is great. I love it dearly. Great Ringo vocal (although he stumbles a bit on the first line) and cool production. But the coolest part of it is that it was on a single with Eleanor Rigby. 60s pop yin and yang, baby.

And I'd say Yellow Submarine is underrated. Who exactly overrates it?
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 07:00:37 AM »

I like Yellow Submarine, too. Paperback Writer/Rain is awesome, though, so that would be a tough call. It's weird that those songs are 'hidden' on Past Masters.

Watch out for snakes!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 07:03:40 AM »

I think that's a pretty uncontroversial opinion. I think you'll have a hard time finding anybody who disagrees with you.

EXCEPT ME.

I find it not in the least bit irritating. In fact, I find it absolutely guileless and sweet. There's something so righteously innocent about that one -- screw the "drug references," cause I'm not biting, I think this is actually an attempt to write a genuinely cute children's song -- see also "Goodnight." Both songs I sang as lullabies to my daughter growing up, and both songs she loved, so I'd say both songs worked just fine.

If growed-up rock hipsters are too cynical to like it, it can't be helped. I'm glad it exists for the kids. I know *I* loved it as a kid as well.

Love the melody, too, and I'm a big defender of Paul's "nonsense songs" like "All Together Now," because I think he has a way with an almost painfully simple melody that is virtually unmatched. And I dig the production and the gooning dialogue in the middle. And I *adore* Ringo's performance. He's great for the kids: see also, again, "Goodnight."

Point taken but I still think it's out of place on Revolver.  'Goodnight ' I love - really wonderful 1930s movie or radio type pastiche.  The Beatles were full of all sorts of pre-rock 'n' roll music from their childhoods and Hamburg set lists.  Love the spoken 'Goodnight children everywhere' bit at the end.  My memory tells me that this, somewhat surprisingly, is actually a John song.   Is that right?

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Evenreven
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 07:14:42 AM »

You're right. John it is.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 07:15:55 AM »

"Good Night" was written by John for Julian.

"Yellow Submarine" came to Paul in a dream, but John had some input, and, also, another fellow Brit: Donovan.  Paul was stumped when it came to finishing the last line: "And we live a life of ease, everyone of us has all he needs".  Donovan suggested: "Sky of blue, sea of green, in our yellow submarine".

I couldn't imagine listening to "Revolver" without "YS".  I think in the sequence of things, you have "Here, There, And Everywhere" (the loveliest tune on the album), "YS" (the silliest song on the album), and "She Said She Said" (one of the hardest rocking songs on the album.)  I think the impact of "She Said" is heightened by this sequencing.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 07:19:01 AM »

"Good Night" was written by John for Julian.

"Yellow Submarine" came to Paul in a dream, but John had some input, and, also, another fellow Brit: Donovan.  Paul was stumped when it came to finishing the last line: "And we live a life of ease, everyone of us has all he needs".  Donovan suggested: "Sky of blue, sea of green, in our yellow submarine".

I couldn't imagine listening to "Revolver" without "YS".  I think in the sequence of things, you have "Here, There, And Everywhere" (the loveliest tune on the album), "YS" (the silliest song on the album), and "She Said She Said" (one of the hardest rocking songs on the album.)  I think the impact of "She Said" is heightened by this sequencing.

What, you mean a good one after a duff one?   Grin 

Well, it is hard to imagine these things without because they've always been there on things which are so familiar.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 07:30:26 AM »

Well, it is hard to imagine these things without because they've always been there on things which are so familiar.

Hmm...I was going to make a witty rebuttal, but this came to mind: there is no greater mistake than that of always being right.  Or something like that.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 07:55:31 AM »

Hmm...I was going to make a witty rebuttal, but this came to mind: there is no greater mistake than that of always being right.  Or something like that.

Sorry I don't mean to come over that way!   Huh  I'm just giving an opinion.  Don't we all think we're right when we post?  It's up to others to prove us wrong or make us reflect (as you have done here).  Oops!  Have I done it again!   Smiley

Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 08:37:18 AM »

YS is a great way to get kids to listen to the Beatles.  Trust me on this one.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 08:44:17 AM »

Arrggghhhh!!!!  Now I see what you mean!   Embarrassed

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 09:09:55 AM »

i'm just stating people my age in my community love that song and say it's their best, of course they havnt heard anything past the 1 album

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 09:48:11 AM »

Arrggghhhh!!!!  Now I see what you mean!   Embarrassed

That was pretty funny, Sir Rob - don't feel foolish just because I let an old saying do the talking!  Anyway, you made my day, LOL Smiley

(That's why they are called old sayings...right?)
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 01:05:00 PM »

I hate it.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 05:51:39 PM »

I hate it.

It's easy to hate.  Can you tell us what you love about the song?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 06:08:27 PM »

Nothing.

Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 06:10:16 PM »

Your loss. Its a fun song if you let it be.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2006, 06:11:07 PM »

UGH! Another terrible song!  Grin

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 06:12:58 PM »

I'd have liked to hear Let it Be sung by Elvis.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 06:14:50 PM »

Elvis would have NAILED that song.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 06:15:46 PM »

Me too. I actually love the version Claudia Linnear sings in the Mad Dogs And Englishmen film and Deluxe Edition CD. Heartfelt and explosive.
Everybody, go buy that movie now.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 06:16:48 PM »

Made a great song even greater, eh Ian? Wink

Speaking of Joe Cocker.  I really like 'im... I like all the versions of Beatles tunes he did more than the originals (I think)...
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx