gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:06:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heads-up for Monkee Knutz!  (Read 6228 times)
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« on: January 16, 2006, 03:19:41 AM »

You probably know this already:

The Monkees - 'Summer 1967' 4 CD Set

Getting a UK release on March 6th: Full Title: 'Summer 1967: The Complete U.S. Concert Recordings' "An individually numbered, limited edition of 3500 copies from Rhino Handmade. In 1967 The Monkees played at 36 concert venues in the U.S. and the U.K. Twenty-seven of these concert dates were during the Summer U.S. Tour that began on July 8, 1967 in Jacksonville, Florida and ended on August 27, 1967 in Spokane, Washington. The final three shows of this tour -- August 25, 1967 in Seattle, Washington, August 26, 1967 in Portland, Oregon, and August 27, 1967 in Spokane, Washington -- were recorded by RCA Records, who then manufactured and distributed Colgems Records, The Monkees' original label, with the aim, it is presumed, of creating a live album for commercial release. All of the tracks on discs two, three, and four from Seattle, Portland and Spokane have been freshly remixed into Stereo from the original four-track masters. And all of the tracks on disc one from Mobile, Alabama are presented in the one-wire Mono. From concert to concert, the progression of The Monkees' 1967 stage show is captured in its entirety. And this entirety from time to time includes false starts, the occasional stage miscue, and odd mixes at the beginning of some songs. So whilst each of these recordings is not perfect, each is exactly as you would have heard had you been front row center in the halls in Mobile, Seattle, Portland and Spokane on one of those perfectly frenzied nights" 68 Tracks, 51 previously unreleased with a 40-Page Booklet. £41.99.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 01:06:39 PM »

It's been released in the States for a few years.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 01:47:58 PM »

Dumb old me! (Pulls Peter Tork face)

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 02:32:22 PM »

Hey Hey!
It's worth a look, but honestly... it's overkill. I don't think I've made it through the whole thing. Same set for 4 shows. It's a bit too much. There's a reason it hasn't sold out for Rhino Handmade. Andrew wasn't happy that got released as he had no say in the matter.

The Mobile Alabama show is probably the best as it was a dry-run recording for the NW shows. I first got the Mobile show in 1987 and was amazed that it existed. The levels are terrible, mix to 2-track is not that hot. But it's still fun. Somewhere I have the opening sets by The Sundowners & Lynn Randell from the Mobile show.

There is also a 5th live show that a few board members now have- Phoenix '67. Even more crude than the others. Segments were extracted fot the TV show episode. It also features tunes they only performed a few times: Papa Genes Blues, Can't Get Her Off My Mind, She's So Far Out She's In.
Also a 6th live show- the Japanese Tokyo show filmed for Japanese TV from Oct 4, '68. This is an amazing show with many unusual tunes: Johnny B Goode, DW Washburn, It's Nice To Be With You, Cindy (folk banjo #), Daydream Believer... I'm missing another tune or two.

JapFactBombSocks- Get the Headquarters Sessions if you can find one. MUCH better & a more highly interesting set.
One just finished on ebay last night for $148. OUCH!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 02:44:25 PM »

I don't have Phoenix, Japan OR the Handmade set.  Cry

mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2006, 06:48:44 AM »

Hey hey Monkee Knutz
 a Boston radio station just played a Mickey Dolenz solo song which sounded very cool..i don't know the name ?, on the radio they never tell you what the song is called . But the name Mary was repeated thruout the song ..any idea's?.and did Dolenz put out a solo album back in the day ?
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2006, 06:56:09 AM »

That sounds like "Mary Mary" off the first Monkees record, and that's not a solo song at all.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 06:59:14 AM »

No, it was not Mary Mary from the first album , i had that on vinyl growing up....
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 08:08:54 AM »

I have no clue what that tune is.  Huh  Can you find out from them??
I think Don't Do It mentions a Mary, once. I believe it charted around 100- or bubbled under.
Dolenz had about 9 solo 45's from '66 to his last in '83. None of them charted. None of which had Mary in the title or repeated it in the verses/chorus. Dolenz never had an LP.
You've got my curiosity peaked, Zen.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2006, 08:15:56 AM »

it might of been Don't do it Huh.....i just emailed the Dj he has a lost 45's show here in Boston on 103.3 . i was driving around when i heard it , and i liked it .but again they didnt mention the name of it.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 08:22:29 AM »

i got an email from the dj her is what he said :

Mark: Thanks for the e-mail. I believe it was played on Sunday night's "The
Lost 45s" show. It was our rarity of the week by Mickey called "The Buddy
Holly Tribute."

maybe i confused the mary lyric ??.....
Monkee Knutz does this song appear on cd?
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 09:02:04 AM »

Holy poop on a stick! They played Buddy Holly Tribute? WOW. Not that it's a great tune (not terrible either), but it's definite rarity. The flip is twisted- Ooh She's Young. Dolenz claims it's about his daughter, sounds a bit pedo-like, ala: I Wanna Pick You Up. Only available on CD from me!  Wink

To yammer on a bit more- His first 45 Easy On You/ Oh Someone featured some 'out there' Moog work and was recorded in his home studio with Peter Tork. Dolenz recorded a load of tracks for MGM & subsidiaries between 1970 - 74. He was pals with the likes of Nilsson, Randy Newman, Michael Lloyd and recorded with all of them or recorded their songs. He recorded enough for a full LP. It's a shame they'll never do anything with them. Most are quite enjoyable, a good handfull are unreleased and these are quite good, as well. Dolenz had some real talent. It's sad none of his stuff hit the charts or will be subject to CD release. Pity.

Thanks Zen! It's enlightening.
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 09:13:08 AM »

wow, i would love to get a cd of these Dolenz solo 45's.....is that possible Huh
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2006, 12:07:40 PM »

Your Auntie Grizelda is really lost live.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2006, 12:31:43 PM »

It's really lost, period. It's because of crap like that and Gonna Buy Me A Dog that people don't take the Monkees seriously.

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »

POW!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2006, 01:07:10 PM »

OW!!!!!!!!!!

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2006, 01:32:02 PM »

KRETCH!!
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 01:32:34 PM »

KRETCH???!!!

monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 01:44:43 PM »

Only you my friend!  Grin  No package yet?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 01:49:43 PM »

Damn mail don't come till 4 here! I'm goin' postal on the postman! Check in and see, one more time for me!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx