gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:46:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday Dennis  (Read 2180 times)
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2006, 08:54:39 AM »

I'm still in awe of your music...it improves with time. There's so much truth in there, so much heart.
Thanks for the endless gift...and happy birthday.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2006, 11:22:26 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peXxQugmItQ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2006, 11:31:30 AM »

right on.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2006, 03:24:40 PM »

Lifted from the BBBritain site.

Al & Carnie on Dennis
Posted on December 4, 2006 at 01:08:05 PM by Asner

Launch Radio Networks has issued the following report
from Howie Edelson:

REMEMBERING BEACH BOY DENNIS WILSON

Today (Monday, December 4th) marks what would have been Beach Boys' drummer and cofounder Dennis Wilson's 62nd birthday. For most of his life, Dennis was overshadowed by his older brother Brian, who wrote most of the group's hits, and by his younger brother Carl, who sang lead on songs such as "God Only Knows" and "Good Vibrations." As a youngster, Dennis was considered the least musical of the Wilson brothers, but it was his idea for Brian and cousin Mike Love to first write about surfing. It was the Wilson's mother Audree who urged the group to include Dennis, who was then forced to play drums because he couldn't play anything else.

Although his playing was only used sporadically on the group's recordings after 1964, his heartthrob good looks and powerful live drumming provided the group with a much need boost in the wake of the "British Invasion." Brian Wilson often used direct instances from Dennis' life as the foundation for Beach Boys songs, including "Fun, Fun, Fun," "Let Him Run Wild," and "Surfin' U.S.A." Dennis sang lead on the group's 1965 remake of Bobby Freeman's "Do You Wanna Dance." He began contributing songs to Beach Boys albums in 1968, and everyone in the group was surprised at the spiritual quality of his work.

Beach Boys co-founder Al Jardine told LAUNCH that he's still amazed at the depth and beauty of Dennis' songs: ["Oh, he was the most underrated member of the band in those terms. His compositions, I think, were stronger, and they got stronger and stronger as we went along -- as he went along -- until obviously he couldn't go any further. And I just think that given time, you know, he would've been the... probably the best composer in the band, outside of Brian, of course. Yeah, he just had that natural, intuitive instinct about music and lyrics. He always... he was the kind of guy who could get to the point without beating around the bush and, you know, could just nail it."

While Brian slowly retreated from the group in a haze of mental illness and drug abuse, it was Dennis' songs on albums like 20/20, Sunflower, and Holland that kept the band's artistic vision advancing.

His personal life was less successful, including four failed marriages and a year-long friendship with the infamous Charles Manson.

In 1977, he became the first Beach Boy to release a solo album, called Pacific Ocean Blue.

In recent years, it's come to light that Dennis' greatest success was in cowriting the Joe ####er hit "You Are So Beautiful" with Billy Preston in 1974, for which he did not initially receive a credit. Friends that were there that night have gone on record claiming that Dennis contributed integral portions to the song, but that he refused to be credited, explaining that he was "just helping a friend out." Dennis went on to perform the song at nearly every Beach Boys show starting in 1975.

Carnie Wilson, who is Brian Wilson's daughter and Dennis' niece, told LAUNCH that she thinks about her uncle regularly: ["I had a crush on Dennis, he made my stomach feel funny. And my memories of Dennis was, like, him getting on the ground like he was proposing to me, kneeling down in front of me whenever he saw me and he would kiss my hand in like 20 places. That was his thing. And he was wild and sexy. You know, wild. Just out there."

Dennis Wilson drowned in Marina Del Rey, California, on December 28th, 1983, at the age of 39.

In 2004, an illegitimate son of Dennis' was reunited with the Wilsons, thanks in part to the efforts of a Beach Boys fan website.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 04:21:27 PM »

In recent years, it's come to light that Dennis' greatest success was in cowriting the Joe ####er hit "You Are So Beautiful" with Billy Preston in 1974, for which he did not initially receive a credit. Friends that were there that night have gone on record claiming that Dennis contributed integral portions to the song, but that he refused to be credited, explaining that he was "just helping a friend out." Dennis went on to perform the song at nearly every Beach Boys show starting in 1975.

Brian said in an interview that Dennis did not co-write 'You Are So Beautiful.' What do you think is going on?

In 2004, an illegitimate son of Dennis' was reunited with the Wilsons, thanks in part to the efforts of a Beach Boys fan website.

Never heard about that. Was he at the Beach Boys Landmark dedication ceremony? Can he play the drums?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »

Happy Birthday Dennis, long live your music.

rollin, rollin, rollin on, river

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 09:23:40 AM »

Here's wishing we get to hear more of Dennis' music in the years to come.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Mr. President
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 04:44:55 PM »

Here's wishing we get to hear more of Dennis' music in the years to come.

Amen!  We've got to organize a huge PR campaign to get the public exposed to Dennis's great music, it's a damn shame how little of his work is heard by the general public...As for Denny's b day I celebrated by painting my car gold!...Happy birthday Denny!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 04:48:35 PM by Mr. President » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx