gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:37:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Hard Day's Night (The Album)  (Read 9367 times)
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2006, 08:11:45 PM »

I figured if there were to be a "Help!" album thread, it's only right to have an "A Hard Day's Night" album thread.

Lots of high points on this album.  Right now: "You Can't Do That" - primal stuff for those teeny-boppers spinning this album for the first time - John's vocal (esp. the hook: "because I told you befo' - oh! you can't do that!") and punkish guitar solo is awesome.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 08:27:36 PM »

Perfect album, except for the horrid When I Get Home.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 08:28:14 PM »

Perfect album, except for the horrid When I Get Home.
I'm in full agreement.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 08:59:05 PM »

I don't know, "When I Get Home" is awesome just for the intro alone; I am glad to be alone in believing this, but if anyone wants to give a "woop! woop!", feel free.
Chris D.
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 09:12:10 PM »

I don't know, "When I Get Home" is awesome just for the intro alone; I am glad to be alone in believing this, but if anyone wants to give a "woop! woop!", feel free.

I like it.  I like all the tracks.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »

all the tracks are great, the second side is better IMHO. If I fell was one of the songs that caught my eye, i'd love to hear a BB version of it with the harmonies

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 09:24:46 PM »

I like it.  I like all the tracks.

I'll take that as a "woop! woop!"
Evenreven
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 05:33:54 AM »

Great album from start to finish. I like "When I Get Home" too. It's not the best song, but it's not bad either.
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 05:40:51 AM »

Yes, and the only album made up entirely of Lennon/McCartney songs.  The Beatles certainly led the way.  Things We Said Today is fantastic, one of McCartney's best.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 07:16:48 AM »

Didn't this album mark the appearance of ... More Cowbell?
Evenreven
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 08:05:59 AM »

Definitely a Whole Lot Of Cowbell. Don't know it needed any More, though.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

Definitely a Whole Lot Of Cowbell. Don't know it needed any More, though.

Yeah...then it would have been Gratuitous Cowbell. Smiley
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2006, 12:48:22 PM »

I love "When I Get Home," probably one of my favorite Beatles songs. They fodaing rocked on this song.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2006, 01:02:08 PM »

I get the feeling that if The Beatles recorded a burping version of Oh Susannah, ya'll would swear by it.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »

I am not a die hard Beatles fan. I'm a Brian Wilson disciple. I don't think the Beatles catalog is the rosetta stone of 1960's music. They're not my favorite band or my favorite sixties band. But for me they'll always be in the top ten.

I just like When I Get Home. Until Rubber Soul there was always a lot of filler on Beatles records. 3 or 4 great songs and then a lot of boring covers. Those records were not more advanced than the Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 03:20:32 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2006, 03:47:59 PM »

I get the feeling that if The Beatles recorded a burping version of Oh Susannah, ya'll would swear by it.

Is it because we are so persistant about what we do like, that you are all the more obstinate about what you don't?

...Having asked that, when will that burping version of "Oh! Susanna" be released?  Apple Records, get yer butts up off yer thumbs and press a few thousand limited edition SACDs, ASAP!
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2006, 03:49:24 PM »

If i had one thing bad to say about "When I get Home" It'd be about the middle 8.
It does'nt flow well with the song and "Im gonna love her 'till the cows come home" is probably the worst lyric Lennon ever penned.

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2006, 03:53:27 PM »

If i had one thing bad to say about "When I get Home" It'd be about the middle 8.
It does'nt flow well with the song and "Im gonna love her 'till the cows come home" is probably the worst lyric Lennon ever penned.

I don't know...ever heard, "Attica State, Attica State, we're all mates with Attica State"? 
dude ll doo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »

Which lyric do you think made the FBI more nervous?
b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2006, 04:02:02 PM »

Which lyric do you think made the FBI more nervous?

:D
dogbreath
Smiley Smile Associate

"Foda deal with it!"

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2006, 07:01:26 AM »

Always been way fond of this album. Most of it was written in a Paris hotel room during a rush of creativity, if I remember right. Great cover, too. Great movie. Great everything. They were so effortlessly cool back then. I can forgive the middle eight of WIGH, because the standard throughout is so blazingly and consistently high. No filler, 100% Lennon/McC. I always thought they took a step back with the next album.

So. Much. Fun.

AUTOCLAVING TURNS THIS LINE BROWN
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2006, 07:24:59 AM »

"When I Get Home" is shrill and based on a pretty weird harmony between John and Paul that feels quite forced.  The bridge is awful.  One of the worst bridges since "I'll Get You."

Any number of songs would have been better.  "I Call Your Name" even has the cowbell.
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2006, 07:58:28 AM »

I always thought they took a step back with the next album.

well, I mean, what is 'progress' and why is it so frigging important?

"Beatles for Sale" is a damn good record with some cutting edge songwriting on it.
They were kind of learning how to be electric and acoustic at the same time and getting some pretty cool blends.  "Hard Days Night" had less of that.  "Any Time At All" was pretty progressive in that regard with its piano work, but you get the sense that "If I Fell" and "And I Love Her" are the ballads. "I'll Cry Instead" and "Hard Days Night" the rockers.  "I Should Have Known Better" and "Cant By Me Love" the lovable mop-top dance numbers-- "I'll Be Back" and "Things We Said Today" kind of the moody mid-tempo numbers, etc.  I mean, it's a movie soundtrack, you know what you are getting!

"Hard Days Night" has some pretty hot country numbers on it--"Cant Buy Me Love" and "I'll Cry Instead"--this was a relatively new thing on that album and something they would expand upon the next record.  Country was a vein that allowed them to be more emotionally expressive via story lyrics and musically complex in its flexability for chromatic runs and omni-presence of dominant 7th interplay that the Beatles were complete masters of (along with Major 7ths and 6ths of course!!)  There were many musical lessons to be learned in the genre.  Plus, it gave "George" a great opportunity to show what he had learned from Chet Atkins records.  Country a step backward?  Where the hell do you think they were going with their current single "I Feel Fine" or with their next blockbuster, "Help?" 

"No Reply" is a cutting edge composition that would have been among the best on HDN.  Great story lyrics and a wonderful chord pattern and harmony on the "I Nearly Died" sections.  The bridge is purely raucious in the HDN tradition.

"I'm A Loser" is a wonderful lyrical development--light years beyond "Any Time At All" or "I Want to Hold Your Hand" --a tremendous harmony, a great swooping baseline, tremendous playing from George, and again, a very forward chord pattern with it's alternations of F and D (not d minor mind you!)

"Spoil the Party" is an absolutely brilliant blend of Everly's harmonies and Goffin/King style songwriting.  I mean, what two part harmony in the rock canon is better than "I....Still....Love....Her?"

For your moptop fun tune, "Eight Days A Week" is pretty perfect and durable.  IT almost seems like a distraction from the album.  An album they seemed to know exactly what they were doing on.  But with its incredible drum sound and harmony on the chorus (I lo-o-o-o-ove you" it looks forward to "Help" and "We Can Work It Out")

The Lennon/McCartney gems did not stop there.  "Baby's In Black" was another Everlies nod, and a unique one at that.  They kind of threw it together as a sea-shanty waltz with a really ballsy delivery.  George's searing guitar intro and solo sealed the deal.

The schmaltzy "Mr. Moonlight" continued the tradition of schmaltz that started with "Taste of Honey" and continued through "When Im 64" and "Honey Pie"--it's the Beatles.  You had your schmaltz on HDN with "Tell Me Why"--a better schmaltzy song, but to tell you the truth, I have always really liked Mr. Moonlight.

You wont find a Beatle obscurity more loved than "Every Little Thing"--a romantic, strong John offering with a wonderful instrumental bridge and tympani that looked forward to some of the experiments they would get more vested into in "Rubber Soul"

Paul's "What You're Doing" is not tremendous, but still has a memorable melody and some great shouting back-up vocals.  It's kind of the "Happy Just to Dance With You" of the record.  Some wicked hooks, but expendable. (for that matter, the Cyrkle version of "Happy Just to Dance With You" is MUCH better.  Deal With It.

In my opinion, the momentum killing "Kansas City/Hey Hey Hey Hey" is one of the more boring things the Beatles have ever done and in a heartbeat should have been scrapped for the AMAZING AMAZING "Leave My Kitten Alone"--if there is a headscratcher in Beatles history it is WHY didn't they put this song on "For Sale"--
did Ringo not like his drum fills, could it have been that petty???

Speaking of Petty, the cover of Buddy Holly's "Words of Love" is an effortless throwaway.  Not without its charms but indeed more reminiscent of the relaxed feel of their BBC shows where they would play any number of covers and INDEED a step back, I'll give you that.  It's completely unambitious, and almost just seems like they were looking for material.

The same can be said of the somewhat better, but still non-essential "Rock And Roll Music..."  So in this regard, the album is a step back--only by virtue of the inclusion of the non-essential covers.  But NOT by virtue of its originals.  So many better choices for covers.  "Soldier of Love" um, yes.  That one. 

So you heard it hear first.  "Beatles For Sale" ripped my head off when I first heard it in 1996.  I called it the 'first alternative music' for its unique chord structures.  "Loser" and "Every Little Thing" are great examples of what I mean.
If there are any Beatles fans on this thread that have avoided the album because of its 'reputation'--this craziness must stop.
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2006, 09:17:47 AM »

For me, "When I Get Home" is worth it because of John's vocal delivery - the bite in his voice, the perfect phrasing. He was a really great rock n' roll singer in those days. The only part that doesn't resonate with me is the "yeah, yeah" before the tag. That feels a little forced.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 11:48:47 AM »

Start a Sale thread and repost your review, JD. Please.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx