gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680780 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 07:35:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68456 times)
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2006, 03:04:42 PM »

... and "Skatetown USA" & "School Girl" were released when, exactly ?  Cool
OOPSIE!!! Huh
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 18, 2006, 03:41:58 PM »

my top 50 fave bb-related tunes are in no particular order...

lets go away for awhile
oh, darlin
GOD only knows
little deuce coup
arent you glad
country air
surfin USA
surfer girl
lonely sea
cotton fields-both versions

she knows me too well
please let me wonder
girls on the beach
warmth of the sun
lana
be true to your school- LP version
we'll run away
california girls
i'm so young
theres no other...

dont talk
fall breaks...
wind chimes-Smiley
wonderful-Smiley
let the wind blow (70's live version)
the nearest faraway place
cool cool water
slip on through
all i wanna do
forever

disney girls
long promised road
all this is that
feel flows
the trader
leaving this town(in concert version)
honkin'down the gosh darn highway (hehe)
the night was so young
wontcha come out tonight
stevie

my diane
baby blue
its trying to say
goin'on
chasin the sky
problem child
somewhere near japan
in my car
make it big
its over now
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 18, 2006, 04:34:51 PM »

lovin that list, not feeling some of the last few tracks (problem child), but still solid nonetheless.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
OrganicMachine
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 18, 2006, 07:30:46 PM »

I may dislike the song "Kokomo" the most because I think it is really annoying and distressingly is also the Beach Boys' biggest hit ever.  There are worse songs certainly, but "Kokomo" probably produces the most unpleasant feelings for me.  "Surfin' USA" also bothers me because it is a big hit but basically a rip off of another song.  Makes me wish Brian woulda kept "Surf City" for himself and given Jan and Dean 'surfin' usa' instead.  I mean, 'surf city' went number 1, it would have worked out fine!  Absolute worst would probably be disco 'here comes the night', 'wipe out', 'santa's goin to kokomo', "Melekalikimaka" or the "Summer in Paradise" album.  Also some of the covers of Beach Boys music have completely ruined the songs.  The only BW song I dislike is "Smart Girls", but even that one isn't completely worthless because it is just SO oddball and the chorus is even kind of weird/catchy.  Some of his songs from the very early career and late period of Beach Boys are extremely dull though.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2006, 03:21:20 AM »

first songs that come into my mind would be California calling and Passing Friend. course i never listened to any of the albums after that 1985 one
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:22:17 AM by My Brother Woody » Logged

halblaineisgood
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2006, 11:18:07 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:33:57 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2006, 12:43:08 PM »

lovin that list, not feeling some of the last few tracks (problem child), but still solid nonetheless.

thanks joe E., even though i know "stevie" nor "its trying to say" were officialy released 'cept on boot's
my ex-wife and i used to love to dance silly to "its trying to say", and i know ive forgotten some good
ones while compriing the list, now. like "match point of our love" and "sweet sunday"!!!!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2006, 02:35:24 PM »

Good picks dude. Another one I LOVE is "Everybody Wants to Live Just Once".

Way off topic, true, but I had to mention it.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lorenschwartz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2006, 06:03:49 PM »

Good picks dude. Another one I LOVE is "Everybody Wants to Live Just Once".

Way off topic, true, but I had to mention it.
...cigarette goes Pfftt, now back on topic!! sorry guys
MBE
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2009, 10:40:08 PM »

Old subject I know but ignoring the released part I have to say the Adrian Baker sessions with Mike in the early 80's is really the worst thing I ever heard a Beach Boy do, except maybe Goin Public. For the group I still say Summer Of Love or Happy Endings or Problem Child. For Brian solo the song Brian and Smart Girls.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2009, 01:10:07 AM »

The Sweet Insanity is the nadir of Beach Boy-ness, IMO. Still Cruisin' looks like a work of genius in comparison. I nominate: Do You Have Any Regrets? as the single worst BB-related song ever. I'd rather hear Mike Love weakly sneer some fifties song.
MBE
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2009, 01:25:46 AM »

Sweet Insanity would have killed Brian's solo career dead in my view. It's his Summer In Paradise. Getiin In Over My Head, Orange Crate Art, and Imagination aren't great but new to SI they are really solid. Only thing I like better on SI then a re-recording was Make A Wish because of the theremin.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2009, 01:49:55 AM »

I don't think it's THAT bad -- there's nothing as good as the SI version of "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" or "Do You Have Any Regrets" on SIP -- but oh God, I had forgotten about "Brian."  That song is just horrible, a million times worse than "Smart Girls" which at least has spirit and humor.  Didn't some Sire exec tell Brian and Landy it was "painful to listen to?"  One rare example of a music industry executive getting it exactly right.

Good God, now I'm mad somebody made me remember this song.  *shudder*  It's so, SO bad.  And naming a song after yourself?  WTF?
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2009, 02:21:10 AM »

And naming a song after yourself?  WTF?

Does Everyone's In Love With You count? Smiley Not as bad as naming albums after yourself. [cough, cough, Country Love, First Love, Looking Back with Love, Unleash the Love etc...etc...etc...]

Back on topic, the album version of Rock n Roll Music is my least favourite BB song. Strangely, the single mix, which isn't vastly different, is miles better.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2009, 02:29:09 AM »

And naming a song after yourself?  WTF?

Well I always thought those lyrics (and title) were the work of Landy... I mean just look at the lyrics, they talk about how his family doesn't care about him but now he's doing real well... hmm, sounds like Landy to me. Obviously the production on Sweet Insanity is atrocious as are all the lyrics, but I always thought some of the songs were pretty catchy... I mean Do You Have Any Regrets, Brian, Someone To Love and even Smart Girls all have some catchy moments (not saying that makes it good just that the songs had potential if it didn't have all those bad elements)... but yeah, it is by far the worst stuff in Brian's solo career.

I'd have to say that Summer Of Love is by far the worst Beach Boys song in my opinion as for anything Beach Boys related I would probably have to agree with MBE in saying the Baker/Love stuff is pretty bad, partly cause I really can't stand Adrian Baker.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2009, 12:41:23 PM »

The 90ies Baker/Love sessions are even worse. Most horrible thing I've ever heard. Salute to Nascar isn't far behind.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »

'Problem Child' is crap in every way!  And everything they did in the late 80's.  'Happy Endings' is equally horrible!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
MBE
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2009, 04:25:15 PM »

I don't think it's THAT bad -- there's nothing as good as the SI version of "Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" or "Do You Have Any Regrets" on SIP -- but oh God, I had forgotten about "Brian."  That song is just horrible, a million times worse than "Smart Girls" which at least has spirit and humor.  Didn't some Sire exec tell Brian and Landy it was "painful to listen to?"  One rare example of a music industry executive getting it exactly right.

Good God, now I'm mad somebody made me remember this song.  *shudder*  It's so, SO bad.  And naming a song after yourself?  WTF?

I'm so sorry lol.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 27, 2009, 05:40:38 PM »

Worse song from each...

Brian- South America
Dennis- He's a Bum
Carl- Hold Me
Mike- Still Cruisin
Al- Island Girl
Bruce- I Write the Songs

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Lady
« Reply #94 on: January 27, 2009, 07:43:45 PM »

Unfortunately, several popped into my head...many were mentioned but  "Match Point of Our Love" sticks out as at least one of the worst.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 27, 2009, 08:57:21 PM »

A Day in The Life of a Tree - Skipped every time

:| holy hades. Really? Of everything out there under the Beach Boys name, "A Day in the Life of a Tree"?

Although I do wish a take with Brian doing the lead was around somewhere, and I think Dennis could have done great for the "real thing". Ah well, I still really like this song - it took a damn long while for it to hit me, though.

"Wonderful" from Smiley Smile.  What an abortion of a beautiful song. 

Bah. I love the Smiley Smile version. Not as much as the original, but it's still a good song, even in this setting.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 09:05:10 PM by runnersdialzero » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 27, 2009, 09:30:14 PM »

Bah. I love the Smiley Smile version. Not as much as the original, but it's still a good song, even in this setting.

It's interesting, on the Classics Selected By Brian Wilson CD, he chose the Smiley Smile version of "Wonderful" over the SMiLE version, which was officially released on the boxed set - if he did indeed SELECT the track.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 27, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »

It's interesting, on the Classics Selected By Brian Wilson CD, he chose the Smiley Smile version of "Wonderful" over the SMiLE version, which was officially released on the boxed set - if he did indeed SELECT the track.

I was thinking about that recently, too. Wouldn't be surprised if he selected "Wonderful" but whoever was putting the collection together just used the more common Smiley Smile version. I really doubt Brian prefers this version.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 27, 2009, 09:45:46 PM »

I was thinking about that recently, too. Wouldn't be surprised if he selected "Wonderful" but whoever was putting the collection together just used the more common Smiley Smile version. I really doubt Brian prefers this version.

That wouldn't be the first time an incorrect track ended up being released. police
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2009, 10:04:38 PM »

'Problem Child' is crap in every way!  And everything they did in the late 80's.  'Happy Endings' is equally horrible!

I have a soft spot for "Problem Child" because of the video where Bruce Johnston gets pummeled in various ways and looks genuinely irritated.  Btw, ever notice that even though the guy hardly ever plays bass, when he syncs a part for a video or TV show, he always nails it?  Interesting.

"Happy Endings" is so bad and the video makes you wonder if it wasn't a drug induced dream.  Carl's vocal is truly a low point, over-emoting worthy of "American Idol."  Carl, Carl... *sigh*

On the subject of "Brian" vs. FIRST LOVE, COUNTRY LOVE, I LOVE BARBECUE, etc., I would argue that naming an album title after your name may be cheesy but it isn't inappropriate...after all, an album title is supposed to help identify the artist and/or material within.

But naming a song after yourself just strikes me as the height of arrogance/cluelessness.  I would never write a song called "Adam"...I mean, that's like referring to yourself as "we."
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx