gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681012 Posts in 27626 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 15, 2024, 01:22:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The very worst Beach Boys related 'song' ever released  (Read 68737 times)
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2006, 04:56:06 AM »

It is one of Mike's few good songs. So?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2006, 06:36:21 AM »

Hmmm - "Viggie" ? "Wrinkles" ?? In fact, the ENTIRE "Country Love" album Huh "Battle Hymn Of The Republic" ... just possibly any of those, but if I were to have to pick a number of 'officially released' tracks then I would probably go for "Solar System" "Johnny Carson" "Passing Friend" "I Do Love You" "She's Got Rhythm" or ... just maybe ... "All I Want To Do" (which would have sounded SO much better if Dennis had taken the lead) ...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2006, 06:43:13 AM »

Off the top of my head
Barbara ann
Bluebirds over the mountain
student demonstration time
california saga
blueberry hill
here comes the night (disco)
sumahama
full sail
goin south
Some of your love
Santa ana winds (I like the song, not just Als spoken intro - dire!)
Oh Darling
Endless Harmony
Maybe I don't know
She believes in love again
Still cruisin
make it big
All of summer in paradise

I actually quite enjoy the MIU album, finding it a more engaging listen than the vastly overrated LA album.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

man, time to throw on LA and KTSA Cool Guy

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2006, 07:48:54 AM »

matt-zeus...glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way. ALthough...

I HATE Winds of Change. I almost expect Al to start singing about Miss Piggy and how it's not easy being green. LOL:

I like LA Light, but Full Sail and Going South are ass-tastic. Also, I hate the version of Shortening Bread used; there was a much better one done on the Adult Child boot.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2006, 08:22:06 AM »

Sumahama...Want to get a terrorist to confess?  Make a tape loop of this song and play it to death!

Are you kidding..That song is amazing...

"All I Want To Do" (which would have sounded SO much better if Dennis had taken the lead) ...

I hope you don't mean...Sunflower 'all i wanna do', that has to be one of the greatest songs of all time.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2006, 08:29:24 AM »

I think he means "All I Want to DO", the song off 20/20.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2006, 08:37:46 AM »

youre crazy, Full Sail is awesome.

--
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2006, 09:24:36 AM »

Carl's vocals are nice in it, but the song is SO boring and the production too MOR.

SG7
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2006, 12:01:11 PM »

Goin' South I think is the worst.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2006, 01:17:22 PM »

Worst BB 'related' song- Ricky Martin "California Girls"
Worst BB song-(unreleased) "My Solution"
Worst BB song-(released)...I'd have to go with that "Tomboy" tripe...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2006, 01:33:04 PM »

Worst BB 'related' song- Ricky Martin "California Girls"
Worst BB song-(unreleased) "My Solution"
Worst BB song-(released)...I'd have to go with that "Tomboy" tripe...

I totally agree about Ricky Martin's "California Girls", that was painful to watch. 

I really dig "My Solution" though, even though it usually gets a bad rap.  Yeah it's weird, but the humor seems very "Brian" to me.  Kinda like Smile-era humor in the context of a Halloween song.  Some neat chords in there too. 
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2006, 01:40:35 PM »

"All I Want To Do" (which would have sounded SO much better if Dennis had taken the lead) ...

I hope you don't mean...Sunflower 'all i wanna do', that has to be one of the greatest songs of all time.

DEFINITELY NOT ! I love everything about "Sunflower" ... it's the raucous Mike Love vocal on 20/20's "All I Want To Do" I'm referring to ...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2006, 03:53:52 PM by Yip Jump » Logged

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2006, 01:55:39 PM »

A Day in The Life of a Tree - Skipped every time

That is one of the best Beach Boys songs in the history of the world. My only wish is that Brian had sang lead, but anyway.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2006, 03:22:21 PM »

A Day in The Life of a Tree - Skipped every time

That is one of the best Beach Boys songs in the history of the world. My only wish is that Brian had sang lead, but anyway.

Yea I wish he'd sang that lead also, but apparently he didn't feel his voice was as "tree-like" as he wanted.  But you're right, its an incredible song no matter who sings it!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2006, 04:36:00 PM »

Worst huh. Well I think Summer Of Love is up there.

I agree with this, but "Louie Louie" ain't far behind. Or Brian's solo "Silent Night".

Silent Night dit dit, holy night dit dit, all is calm dit dit, all is bright dit dit. Ouch dit dit!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »

I have a problem with a lot of Smiley Smile. Special mention though for "F B A B T W" "She's Going Bald" and the first section of "Little Pad" (who got into Brians stash?)

If we are going to expand on the BB related heres my 2 cents. I'm ok with Brian redoing his songs....live...once. ie Roxy but to cover BB work on each new album, its not for me.

Mike, Bruce and Dave re-recording their own songs for Nascar. The Pits-Stop!

Al live in Vegas singing BB songs. Who cares!

Billy, Jeff, Adrian and anyone else who feels they need to use the BB style on their solo work.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2006, 08:44:07 PM »

What's all this hub-bub about Full Sail and Goin' South?  They're gggrrrrreeeaaaattttt!!!!!!!!   GGRRREEEEEAAATTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!
You want bad?  Day in the Life of a Tree??  Good grief, how bad can it get? Maybe as bad as all that TM junk and the rest of the pseudo-hippy psychobabble. Funky Pretty? Sorry. Give me LA, MIU anyday.  I never quite got some of Carl's and Dennis's stuff.  It's not bad, but just doesn't grab me like most of it - I'm thinking Long Promised Road, Feel Flows, Trader, Steamboat, for example. Nothing wrong with it I guess but I have no interest in hearing it. Not my style.  Anyway, 90% of the BB/BW work is terrific, so why are we dwelling on the stuff we DON'T like?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2006, 10:11:52 AM »

I can take Full Sail on there, but two sluggish Carl songs on one album are enough.  I've put Goin' South on a BB Christmas CD I've Made.

Funny how different our tastes are, ain't it?  I guess some people don't like that early 70s 'progressive' stuff at all. 
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2006, 10:26:10 AM »

DEFINITELY NOT ! I love everything about "Sunflower" ... it's the raucous Mike Love vocal on 20/20's "All I Want To Do" I'm referring to ...

That's a Dennis Wilson song, and it rocks! Especially if you've read Desper's story on Dennis' special overdub. LOL

I would *LOVE* to hear a version of A Day in the Life of a Tree with Brian OR Carl on the lead....mmm!

--
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2006, 10:34:54 AM »

DW's 'overdubbing'  Roll Eyes doth not a good track maketh - and despite the potential of this one (with uncredited contributions by Steve Kalinich) it's the naff lead vocal that does it for me. Mike was GREAT in the early days with the upbeat leads, but he CANNOT supply the rock'n'roll this deserves ...

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2006, 10:47:15 AM »

I have to confess that I somehow tend to like most BB songs that even the least rigorous listeners might find totally atrocious.

That said, talking about the group's sixties output I think that Bluebirds Over The Mountains really is beyond lame. It's nowhere near the standards set by their previous recordings. Just plain pointless.
Some of M.I.U. might be downright embarrassing, but most of it still sounds enjoyable to these ears. I even like She Believes In Love Again and Slow Summer Dancin', which might be some of the schmaltziest songs ever written, by anyone.

Can't stand some of the songs on Keepin' The Summer Alive.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2006, 10:50:19 AM »

That's a Dennis Wilson song, and it rocks! Especially if you've read Desper's story on Dennis' special overdub. LOL

I would *LOVE* to hear a version of A Day in the Life of a Tree with Brian OR Carl on the lead....mmm!

Didn't Brian once contribute at least some background vocals for Tree on stage in the early seventies?

Great, great song.
PMcC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2006, 02:10:32 PM »

Anyway, 90% of the BB/BW work is terrific, so why are we dwelling on the stuff we DON'T like?

....For that very reason. We all agree that the vast majority of their catalog is high quality. It's interesting to see peoples opinions of what the 'clunkers' are. Interesting responses so far.. some things I never would have picked as weak material...

"Anytime I want to hear the Beach Boys, I put on a Brian Wilson CD"-Paul McClelland
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2006, 04:51:42 PM »

Funny how different our tastes are, ain't it?  I guess some people don't like that early 70s 'progressive' stuff at all. 

"Funny how different our tastes are, ain't it?"   Yep.

"I guess some people don't like that early 70s 'progressive' stuff at all." I like some of it but not all.  A lot of it's great. i startd with the Boys in '62 at age 12 and followed the whole saga all the way through.  I wonder how many who are more attuned to the later music missed the "golden era", so to speak, and so don't have the same  grounding, for lack of a better word. In other words, if you started in the '70's and heard Sunflower, Surf's Up, Holland, etc. you may not have ever really heard much of the hits except on a passing radio or frat party.  Or if you didnt pick upr them until the 80's or 90's, and that's not unusual, your whole musical perspective is going to be different already than someone who grew up much earlier in a different time, different place, with the fun in the sun music.  It's an interesting question to ponder, beyond just simple musical tastes.

....For that very reason.  Sure.  No problem. I always like a good discussion on this.  My only issue is couching it in negative terms, like "the worst BB related song".   Who needs that?  Likes and dislikes, preferences, comparing thoughts on songs, all fine.  I think the negative context can just start an unneccesary bandwagon effect , as in who can bash this or that the most.

Say, how about that Al Jardine, anyway? (Always been an Al fan)

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx