gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:07:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's a Beautiful Day  (Read 14662 times)
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2006, 01:42:26 PM »

Hi everyone,

I noticed that the Sumahama UK 45 had a song called "It's a Beautiful Day" on the B-side.  Can someone fill me in on this song?  Was it recorded during the L.A. sessions?  Does it fit in with L.A.'s mood (that sort-of soft mellow rock approach)?  Who sings lead?  Did Brian have anything to do with this song (probably not)?  Any info anyone could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 02:13:47 PM »

Mike/Al composition from the LA sessions, one of the hardest rockers they ever did in the studio, and one of their better late period tracks.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 02:21:52 PM »

If I remember rightly it first appeared on the soundtrack to the film Americathon (which i do have somewhere....) and I think it also appeared on the Ten Years Of Harmony comp.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 02:44:54 PM »

Isn't that one of their more famous later tracks?Huh
Strange.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
JoeP
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 02:54:57 PM »

I have only seen it on the Ten Years com, which does credit it as from the soundtrack to Americathon.  Decent late 70s track.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »

Maybe it's because I'm from LA, where the song received saturation airplay and was #1 on the local radio charts. I always assumed this was one of their biggest later tracks.

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 03:47:37 PM »

Carl's great on the chorus too.  Imagine California Calling, but better and rockier - not great, but definitely one of their better summer/fun kind of songs from the later (i.e. post-Holland) era.   Pity it wasn't on LA.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 04:09:38 PM »

Absolutely. It works great in place of Sumahama on LA. Or Here Comes The Night or Shortnin' Bread, according to your taste.

Evenreven
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 04:36:55 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm from LA, where the song received saturation airplay and was #1 on the local radio charts. I always assumed this was one of their biggest later tracks.
Maybe that's it, I've never even heard of it. Not that I'm an expert on the L.A. sessions, of course. So, it's pretty good? I might have to check it out.
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 09:17:37 AM »

I think Beautiful Day would have been more at home on KTSA. How this track occurred around LA is beyond me. It rocks harder that anything on that LP (I'll refrain from LA bashing).
Beautiful Day never charted nationally, did it?? Didn't even crack the charts? Pity.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 08:41:32 PM »

Crazy bump I realize, but I'm hearing this song for the first time ever right now. Better than most of the stuff in this era!

Imagine if they broke this one out on the C50 tour.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:59:36 PM »

Even the abridged version of this drags a bit imo. I cut it back another verse at the end and it now hits the spot just right.

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 04:58:36 AM »

I disagree. I will say that the unabridged one goes on a bit. And the abridged one is too short, fading in the solo...that's utter madness.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »

Although the timing of "It's a Beautiful Day" may be from the L.A. era, I don't think it was ever seriously a candidate for that album.  Instead it was written and recorded specifically for the movie "Americathon."  The lyrics about the "skies being clear" and "cars having disappeared from the scene" tie directly to the movie's plot about cars being banned in L.A. due to the smog problem, and everyone having to ride bicycles to work.

Lee
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 09:27:40 AM »

The abridged version I'm in possession of doesn't fade during the solo. It fades while Carl sings the "such a beautiful day" refrain after the solo.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 10:00:09 AM by Quzi » Logged

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »

Mike/Al composition from the LA sessions, one of the hardest rockers they ever did in the studio, and one of their better late period tracks.

Ditto to what TRBB said (six years ago).  !!!

This is a great, great song.  I missed it when it came out in 1981, but I found it on the Ten Years of Harmony comp, and it shows how good the BB's could occasionally be in the 80's.  A truly fantastic tune.  Epic!  Shoulda been a #1!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »

I haven't heard this one before and I can't find it anywhere.  Cry
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 10:30:46 AM »

Although the timing of "It's a Beautiful Day" may be from the L.A. era, I don't think it was ever seriously a candidate for that album.  Instead it was written and recorded specifically for the movie "Americathon."  The lyrics about the "skies being clear" and "cars having disappeared from the scene" tie directly to the movie's plot about cars being banned in L.A. due to the smog problem, and everyone having to ride bicycles to work.

Lee

Yep, it was actually recorded after the release of L.A. (Light), according to the AFM contract anyway.  Don't have it with me at the moment, but I believe it was cut in Santa Barbara.  Musicians paid for the session (and presumably ON the track or at least present at the session) were Carl, Al, Brian, and Bruce, plus a drummer and a bassist.   So the guitars are Carl &Al (yay!).
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 10:53:38 AM »

I haven't heard this one before and I can't find it anywhere.  Cry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8YGsoG-12g
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 10:55:52 AM »

It's on YT. *head slaps*

Gracias amigo.  Cheesy
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »

I wasn't into the BBs yet, but remember seeing the Americathon trailer on TV, and thinking, wow that BBs song sounds fantastic!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2012, 04:35:36 PM »

Lee

hey, stranger!!  nice to hear from you again.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »

Maybe because of 2pac, I always wish the lyrics were:
Ooooooh
To live and die in LA
It gets worse everyday
The skies are clear
It's a beautiful day in LA

People in motion
Our wheels movin' all kinda ways
Indoors, outdoors, in the sun
There are people everywhere carryin' gun, gun, guns

& etc.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2012, 12:54:14 PM »

I have this on the vinyl/soundtrack and 10 Years of Harmony...I always find it odd that it was good enough for that greatest hits compilation but it never appeared on any other GH comps....It shoulda been on KTSA.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2012, 04:09:45 PM »

Lee

Yep, it was actually recorded after the release of L.A. (Light), according to the AFM contract anyway.  Don't have it with me at the moment, but I believe it was cut in Santa Barbara.  Musicians paid for the session (and presumably ON the track or at least present at the session) were Carl, Al, Brian, and Bruce, plus a drummer and a bassist.   So the guitars are Carl &Al (yay!).

so who's playing piano, Brian or Bruce? and what is the other one doing?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx