gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:29:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't wait too long coda on Smiley/WH twofer  (Read 2536 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »

The coda of CWTL on the Smiley/WH twofer sounds just like the 2nd part of Love to say Dada to me (the timing, bassline and snare parts).

I wonder if it grew out of that Smile song, as CWTL grew out of Windchimes. I appreciate this is just my theory and not  much use to anyone, but what I'm curious about is why this coda was left off the GV boxset version of CWTL? Is it definitely part of CWTL?

Are there any boots where we hear the sessions for this coda that can definitely put it in context? Oddly enough it turns up on Unsurpassed masters vol. 17 - track 12, for some reason titled "Heroes and Villains (Last Part - Stereo Mix)" presumably in error, which is what got me thinking it might be related to Smile in the first place!

Any info much appreciated.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:43:34 AM »

Oh well, to reply to my own post:

After mulling it over I think I was a bit hasty in my conviction that the CWTL coda was related to Da da. It sounds similar but that's probably that it's just produced by the same guy. It's clearly the same chords as the bulk of CWTL which grew out of the 2nd part of Wind Chimes to the best of my knowledge. If it was definitely intended for CWTL, then why doesn't it appear on the GV Boxset version of the song? I'd really appreciate if somebody could answer this for me.

Also does this coda appear on any boots, e.g. unsurpassed masters 19 or something?

Thanks,

B

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 08:56:34 PM »

I can't answer your question, but I have some thoughts on the song.

I wish that this song would've been finished and included on the Wild Honey album along with Cool, Cool water. In place of Mama Says and I Was Made to Love Her (only because its a cover song). This would've made a good album a classic!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 12:10:23 AM »

I can't answer your question, but I have some thoughts on the song.

I wish that this song would've been finished and included on the Wild Honey album along with Cool, Cool water. In place of Mama Says and I Was Made to Love Her (only because its a cover song). This would've made a good album a classic!

I totally agree. I love WH but the inclusion of this track and CCW would've made it a much more respectable album. What about with Time To Get Alone thrown in too? - Now there's an album!

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 02:14:08 PM »

I was thinking along the same lines, but with Friends, but CCW and Can't Wait Too Long don't really fit with the R & B of Wild Honey, but would sit beautifully amonst the Friends tracks.  I'd take off Anna Lee and add Can't Wait Too Long, We're Together Again, I Went to Sleep and Cool Cool Water - CCW would go perfectly after Diamond Head!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 05:58:16 PM »

I could see that too. But I disagree that CWTL doesn't have an r&b feel.

What about the original version of GV on Wild Honey? With the Tony Asher lyrics. I don't know if it would've made sense coming right after the #1 single version, but I think it would've fit well on the album. I also think 'Gettin Hungry' would've been a good fit.

As far as Friends, I would add 'Time to Get Alone', 'I Went to Sleep', 'A Time to Live in Dreams' and 'Lonely Days' and subtract 'Tran Meditation'. The album is too short the way it is.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 12:45:08 AM »

Yeah I think the Windows of Darkness section of CWTL is right in line with the R&B feel of Wild Honey and so this track would've been perfect. What about in it's early stages with the accapella intro - man that would've been beautiful. It's such a shame they ditched that section. It's as beautiful as anything from Smile and I still find it hard to believe that those vocals weren't recorded during the Smile sessions.

I agree about Friends. I love it all apart from Transcendental meditation too and would probably swap that for I Went To Sleep for the ultimate cool out album.

Agree too that Diamond Head and cool water sound great together. I often put these tracks one after the other in BB mixes along with Little Pad for the ultimate watery hawaiian experience!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx