gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:27:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help Me, Rhonda  (Read 4055 times)
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:49:52 AM »

I noticed that there are a few mixes of 'Help Me, Rhonda' out and about. I don't mean different as in different material, music, vocals....but one of the versions (I believe its off the Today! lp) has a wacky mix down. During the chorus at the end it seems that one bar is at the same level of the rest of the song and then another bar the volume would be slightly lower. I heard another mix that sounds fine the whole way through.

Im sorry if this has been asked before, but...whats up with that?!?

I was always curious about it !

thanks
-Joe

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:56:39 AM »

They first tried the song "Help Me, Ronda" on the album Today!

Brian later re-worked the song a tad, re-did the backing and the groups vocals.

There's a great version on the Endless Harmony soundtrack with Brian doing a high lead in to the chorus.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 11:09:34 AM »

They first tried the song "Help Me, Ronda" on the album Today!

Brian later re-worked the song a tad, re-did the backing and the groups vocals.

There's a great version on the Endless Harmony soundtrack with Brian doing a high lead in to the chorus.

The whole 'wah wah wah waaah'? I think thats *brilliant*...for some reason I thought the Today! version was the second recording of it. When did they re-release it?

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 11:58:47 AM »

To me the Today! version is completely appropriate and in spirit with the rest of the album. The Summer Days version is right for that album and sync with everything else. Two different albums, two different songs.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 02:24:46 PM »

The second version was a single mix. It was later included on Summer Days having been a big hit. You can't imaging The Beatles doing that....(in the UK anyway, god knows what Capital in the US would have done with it...same company of course!)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 03:15:27 PM »

I think Bruce mentioned that he told Brian to put the single version on the album

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »

Isn't the version on ENDLESS SUMMER different as well?
Or is that the "TODAY!" version?
Sounds like it on my LP but I may be missing some minor difference
since I hardly play the "TODAY!" version.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 03:32:26 AM »

"To me the Today! version is completely appropriate and in spirit with the rest of the album. The Summer Days version is right for that album and sync with everything else."

EXACTLY!

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Zack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 03:41:32 AM »

The "wah wah wah" version rules.

"I experimented myself right out of action."
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 03:42:55 AM »

I love Brian's "wah wah" on the chorus of the Endless Harmony version of this song.  That's the best IMO.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 06:28:30 AM »

I love Brian's "wah wah" on the chorus of the Endless Harmony version of this song.  That's the best IMO.

I'm glad he left it off the released version. I don't like it that much

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 06:34:03 AM »

I'm glad he left it off the released version. I don't like it that much

What?!  How dare you!   Smiley   

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 07:57:30 AM »

I find the wah wah version weaker overall, meaning that the ultimate single version packs the most punch and therefore I prefer it. That said, I love the wah wah part and sing it over the single version!

Watch out for snakes!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 08:08:59 AM »

I find the wah wah version weaker overall, meaning that the ultimate single version packs the most punch and therefore I prefer it. That said, I love the wah wah part and sing it over the single version!

Well, I prefer the wah wah version but I sometimes wonder if there is a tendency to always like the thing you're not used to hearing more than the very familiar track.  If the wah wah had been the single release in 1965, would people think it so much better when they suddenly heard it without years later?

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 10:22:40 AM »

I also like the "wa wa" version best, but only by a very slim margin...the single version packs quite a punch all by itself.  Ultimately it was probably best to release it as he did; maybe he thought that the "wa wa" part might be a little too much to add to all the other vocals going on in the chrorus.  Who knows, maybe the "wa wa" version was just Brian screwing around?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx