gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:24:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated artists/albums  (Read 56054 times)
Ptolemaios
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2006, 04:01:33 PM »

Well, Radiohead sounds boring to me.

I also dislike much of sgt. Pepper. Especially 'Within you without you' is just annoying... i'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 04:02:25 PM by Machiavelli » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2006, 01:29:37 AM »

Well, Radiohead sounds boring to me.

Agreed. Boring is probably the best word to describe that horrible techno music and moaning.

I also dislike much of sgt. Pepper. Especially 'Within you without you' is just annoying... i'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way  Smiley

Hard to believe people actually consider that record the summit of pop music.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2006, 09:19:54 AM »

Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2006, 10:50:13 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:35:57 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2006, 10:54:11 AM »

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 01:35:46 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2007, 01:06:37 AM »

Within You Without You is one of my favorite songs, ever. I love the lyrics.

But I can understand why people wouldn't like it. I absolutely hated it when I first heard it.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2007, 01:32:41 PM »

Within You Without You is one of my favorite songs, ever. I love the lyrics.

But I can understand why people wouldn't like it. I absolutely hated it when I first heard it.

It was the only song I'd skip when I bought the album in the mid-70s. By the time the CD came out about a decade later, it was the one song I couldn't get enough of! A magnificent string arrangement by Mr. Martin perfectly compliments the more traditional Indian instrumentation.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2007, 11:28:09 PM »

The Doors.  I mean, wtf?

Honk! Honk!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2007, 05:32:57 AM »

Journey....I'm sorry, but Steve Perry's voice is like scraping a cat with a cheese grater to me.
Guns N Roses...People actually liked this crap? I don't understand how Axl Rose can sing like that and still be a homophobe. Slash's style of guitar playing is exactly what I hated about 80s rock...all flash, no substance.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2007, 07:12:42 AM »

Van Morrison is the one I just don't get.  Don't even like Astral Weeks.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2007, 01:38:54 PM »

Slash's style of guitar playing is exactly what I hated about 80s rock...all flash, no substance.

Without getting into the actual overrated/underratedness of the bands you mentioned, I do think that critique of Slash might be off base, at least considering that he was probably one of the least flashy, most substantial popular guitarists of the 80s/early 90s. I mean, consider his peers: CC Deville of Poison? Those guys in Warrant or Whitesnake? Def Leppard's guitarists? Comparatively speaking, at least Slash fit pretty well into the Joe Perry/Jimmy Page/Rolling Stones mold of blues rock guitar--he wasnt doing whammy bar dives, harmonizing and delaying solos on an Eventide to make it sound like he was better than he was...it was pretty straight-ahead.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
CosmicDancer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2007, 08:31:14 AM »

Slash's style of guitar playing is exactly what I hated about 80s rock...all flash, no substance.

Without getting into the actual overrated/underratedness of the bands you mentioned, I do think that critique of Slash might be off base, at least considering that he was probably one of the least flashy, most substantial popular guitarists of the 80s/early 90s. I mean, consider his peers: CC Deville of Poison? Those guys in Warrant or Whitesnake? Def Leppard's guitarists? Comparatively speaking, at least Slash fit pretty well into the Joe Perry/Jimmy Page/Rolling Stones mold of blues rock guitar--he wasnt doing whammy bar dives, harmonizing and delaying solos on an Eventide to make it sound like he was better than he was...it was pretty straight-ahead.

You beat me to it Luther!  I support everything you said!  I, for one, think Slash is a terrific guitar player not overly "80's" at all.  If you want to date his sound at all, it should be in the 70's blues rock time period.  Rather than date it though, just let it be what it is.  As for GNR as a band, once again, I don't think dating their sound as an 80's sound is a good call either.  Appetite for Destruction is much more in the style of a New York Dolls type trashy, sleazy rock sound to me. 

Different strokes for different folks.

The Un-Funny Alliance:  Are you not "good at being funny"?  Join us today in our mission to make the world a less funny place one "easy" fart joke at a time!
tearsinthemorning23
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 14, 2008, 10:27:17 PM »

The Beatles.   I still like them, but they are definitely overrated...  But I'm a Beach Boy fanatic.  Maybe if The Beatles had continued through the 70's I'd have written something different on here.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 14, 2008, 10:38:35 PM »

I agree. Saying they're overrated isn't diminishing the quality of their work. I just feel that people place them on a pedestal that is much higher than they deserve.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2008, 10:47:51 PM »

I love the Beatles. I hate Beatles fan culture, though.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2008, 11:03:49 PM »

I hate the Beatles.....but they are not overrated except compared to the BB's. IMO.

American Idol. Everything about that show is overrated. Not every performer who graces that stage is an "artist". Gosh that irks me.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:06:33 PM by noname » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2008, 11:33:37 PM »

Top 10 Albums according to Rolling Stone:

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, The Beatles (1967)
2. Pet Sounds, The Beach Boys (16 May 1966)
3. Revolver, The Beatles (1966)
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan (1965)
5. Rubber Soul, The Beatles (1965)
6. What's Going On, Marvin Gaye (1971)
7. Exile on Main St., Rolling Stones (1972)
8. London Calling, The Clash (1979)
9. Blonde on Blonde, Bob Dylan (1966)
10. The Beatles (The White Album), The Beatles (1968)

It's total bullmerda that out of the TOP 10 OF ALL TIME,  4 are Beatles albums. One album would of represented them just fine. Who's number one really doesn't matter, but the fact that Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, The Ramones, The Sex Pistols or The Who didn't make it anywhere near the top 10 is ridiculous.

There are a lot of bands that are just as influential as the Beatles. I know the Beatles sold more records than anyone, but that doesn't make them the best. And you know what, you may like the Beatles but THEY ARE NOT THE BEST. Again, quality of songwriting is totally subjective, but isn't Live At Leeds an amazing record, isn't it great that a band could be that powerful live. The Beatles never did anything like that.

I read some interview where Johnny Ramone discussed how influenced he was by Good Times Bad Times, particularly the downward strokes on Jimmy Page's guitar that opened the song. Johnny Ramone said that became the basis for HIS style which of course ended up influencing all of punk.

The Beatles get credit for everything, but its funny how no one can ever explain WHY Sgt. Pepper is the greatest album of all time. It's like people can't think for themselves and just repeat the same BS over and over. Whenever the breakthroughs of the album are discussed, the fact is they incorporated things that had already been done before and would be done better.

Rolling Stone had this amazing opportunity to shine a light on albums and bands that never got any recognition or record sales and instead they just toe the line and kiss the Beatles asses. Shame, a damn shame.

I hate Jan Wenner, he's the evil bastard that keeps the Monkees out of the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2008, 11:38:31 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2008, 12:10:20 AM »

It's total bullmerda ....

Agreed...then again, Rolling Stone is. Can anyone take them seriously? It's so corporate, clique-ish and trendy....but it makes for satisfying toilet paper so I'm conflicted....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 12:15:10 AM by noname » Logged
8o8o
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2008, 05:51:35 AM »

The Sex Pistols.

To put it in their own words: a load of b*llocks.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2008, 07:19:21 AM »

Actually, I feel the Pistols  are underrated. I actually had never heard their music until recently, thinking it would be nothing but unlistenable noise, and I was honestly quite surprised. For guys that couldn't play their instruments, it's not bad at all.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »

You know, one important aspect of this thread that I don't think we've covered (but who the hell knows, it's been a while) is overrated or underrated by whom?

Obviously, Rolling Stone is going to rank things according to a certain bias. But so will you. And so will I. And so will Pitchfork. And so will [whatever]. Obviously, then, when one of us looks at some other list and its biases don't match our own, we're going to say they've overrated something that we've probably underrated, and they've underrated what we've probably overrated. To act as if there is some objective reality to how good some fucking pop star is, is ridiculous, as if there were four mystical measurable categories that we can add up and give the true value. Oh, sh*t, Rolling Stone forgot to carry the one! They overrated the Beatles!

Jeezus.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2008, 08:44:20 AM »

T H E  B E A T L E S ! I don't care what anyone says, the Beatles get too much goshdarn credit on a constant basis. Yeah they were great, they made great music, but they never topped the Beach Boys, they just got more publicity and press and hype.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2008, 08:59:54 AM »

T H E  B E A T L E S ! I don't care what anyone says, the Beatles get too much blessed credit on a constant basis. Yeah they were great, they made great music, but they never topped the Beach Boys, they just got more publicity and press and hype.

Exactly what I'm talking about. I couldn't disagree more. The Beatles were very consistently better than the Beach Boys. So am I overrating the Beatles? Are you overrating the Beach Boys?

Yes to both, probably. This thread is Sisyphean.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 15, 2008, 05:56:20 PM »

What is your definition of Sisyphean?? just out of curiosity..
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2008, 12:03:57 AM »

You know, one important aspect of this thread that I don't think we've covered (but who the hell knows, it's been a while) is overrated or underrated by whom?

Obviously, Rolling Stone is going to rank things according to a certain bias. But so will you. And so will I. And so will Pitchfork. And so will [whatever]. Obviously, then, when one of us looks at some other list and its biases don't match our own, we're going to say they've overrated something that we've probably underrated, and they've underrated what we've probably overrated. To act as if there is some objective reality to how good some fodaing pop star is, is ridiculous, as if there were four mystical measurable categories that we can add up and give the true value. Oh, merda, Rolling Stone forgot to carry the one! They overrated the Beatles!

Jeezus.

Couldn't agree more Luther. But SURELY God Only Knows or Eleanor Rigby or whatever IS better than say Crazy Frog Ringtone song? LOL

But yes Luther, I agree with you, although what you say is quite obvious of course. Everyone has their opinions and nobody's opinion on what is good is right or wrong, just different. I think with something like music though, who cares in the end what other people think. As long as it (meaning whatever music that person likes) makes a person happy then that's serving it's purporse, right?

And I have to agree with kookadams, I think (notice the words "I Think") The Beach Boys are better than the Beatles. I mean especially if you just judge from the years 1963-1973 with The Beach Boys. The Beatles were just always promoted better and always received good reviews no matter what from the majority of people. I do agree however that the Beatles had less garbage. I think if you take the best of both The Beach Boys would win and likewise The Beach Boys would win if you take the worst of both. But on average I think The Beach Boys (from 1963-1973 anyway) are a better band. Plus I know it might not be fair, but if you judge some of the outtakes and unreleased songs from the Beach Boys career that SHOULD have been released, then that's even further evidence imo for the Beach Boys being better. The Beatles from what I know didn't have many unreleased songs in comparison.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 12:04:55 AM by mikeyj » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx