gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:55:56 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated artists/albums  (Read 56102 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2014, 10:32:33 PM »

Believe it or not, I'm ashamed to say I used to think Bowie was overrated.  It wasn't until a few years ago I started to realize how incredible he really is.  I'm sure there are other artists as well who I can't think of at the moment for whom I've felt similarly.

Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

I loathe - and I mean loathe - Radiohead.

Some of their backing tracks are nice, however....

Thom Yorke's voice is like fingernails down a f**king blackboard. I mean, it is just an absolutely detestable sound! I hate everything about it: the whiny reediness, the deliberate mispronunciation of 'r's (a speech impediment he curiously doesn't have when talking)...

And have you seen him on stage when he sings? Wobbling his head and pulling endless pained expressions? What a horrible little prick.

And those stupid pretentious lyrics - "Oh yes, when I sang 'the monkeys are sucking lemons/the monkeys are sucking lemons/take the money and run/take the money and run/Hannah and her sisters' it was a comment on the fall of the Roman Empire'' etc.

"Ooh, wow, look at us letting the public choose how much they want to pay for our album - aren't we so anti-establishment!" Yeah? Try letting the public choose how much they want to pay for your album before making millions and millions releasing albums through Sony and we'll all be a little more impressed, you quintet of bell-ends!

(The only song of theirs that I actually like - and I've had a lot of friends try to convince me of their greatness, so I've had the misfortune of listening to it all i can assure you - is an instrumental: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On8ajxxQNJI)

I like Radiohead somewhat but this is a great post. It needed to be said.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 11:13:11 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2014, 11:02:56 PM »

A band that I really wanted to like and have given them many chances is Van Halen. I own the first album and have listened to some other songs on YouTube as well, but they just don't do it for me. At all. So I guess I could call them 'overrated', as much as I dislike the term.

Try FAIR WARNING. It's their "dark" album. Dave wasn't happy with the direction, sales were down, but this one has something for me.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2014, 11:10:51 PM »

Neil Young? I haven't listened to much of him, but I've always seen him as a bland Dylan impersonator.

To each his own but good God you are wrong.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2014, 11:29:14 PM »

Neil Young is an originator not a impersonator.. Smokin
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2014, 11:38:10 PM »

Overrated Huh  How about Frank Zappa  U2  Queen   Led Zep   Keith Whitley Michael Jackson  Yngwie Malmsteen   David Bowie 
bluesno1fann
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2014, 11:40:24 PM »

Overrated Huh  How about Frank Zappa  U2  Queen   Led Zep   Keith Whitley Michael Jackson  Yngwie Malmsteen   David Bowie 

Frank Zappa overrated?  LOL LOL LOL LOL

He's only ever had a cult following, his stuff isn't well-known to the mainstream. So he can't be overrated.

And I'm going to have to disagree with Queen and David Bowie
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #232 on: January 18, 2014, 12:37:19 AM »

I've probably already responded to this years ago, but one of the most overrated ever was Bruce Springsteen.  He's got two or three decent songs the rest is just average trash.  "The Boss" of hypocrisy

Gotta unfortunately agree with the Who too.  Boring as hell, can't really say I like 1 of their songs.  I'm sure they have a couple I'd like, but not many.

I actually like "You Better you Bet".  I was pissed when I found out it was the Who.... but that kind of proves the rule.  If I've heard so much Who music that I know You Better You Bet, and that's the only one I like, that proves that to me they're sh*t.

I like, rather than love, the Who. For ever song of there's I think is great, there's another I don't like.

Have you heard this, Ron? Great song. It builds and builds and gets better and better as the song goes along: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKGRijV8U3s
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2014, 12:52:44 AM »

Believe it or not, I'm ashamed to say I used to think Bowie was overrated.  It wasn't until a few years ago I started to realize how incredible he really is.  I'm sure there are other artists as well who I can't think of at the moment for whom I've felt similarly.

Bowie is sooo overrated. Probably the biggest example of style over substance in the history of pop music. Ziggy Stardust is a masterpiece, but that is probably the only LP that  he seemed to make a real attempt at songwriting, other than the less consistent Hunky Dory.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:11:37 AM by Gabo » Logged
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2014, 06:55:43 AM »

Bowie is sooo overrated. Probably the biggest example of style over substance in the history of pop music. Ziggy Stardust is a masterpiece, but that is probably the only LP that  he seemed to make a real attempt at songwriting, other than the less consistent Hunky Dory.

I only like the Berlin period, Scary Monsters and oddly enough some of the Labyrinth songs. He's hardly this mega genius the critics love to paint him as.

Fixed that for you.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:45 AM »

Believe it or not, I'm ashamed to say I used to think Bowie was overrated.  It wasn't until a few years ago I started to realize how incredible he really is.  I'm sure there are other artists as well who I can't think of at the moment for whom I've felt similarly.

Bowie is sooo overrated. Probably the biggest example of style over substance in the history of pop music. Ziggy Stardust is a masterpiece, but that is probably the only LP that  he seemed to make a real attempt at songwriting, other than the less consistent Hunky Dory.

I only like the Berlin period, Scary Monsters and oddly enough some of the Labyrinth songs. He's hardly this mega genius the critics love to paint him as.

Overrated Huh  How about Frank Zappa  U2  Queen   Led Zep   Keith Whitley Michael Jackson  Yngwie Malmsteen   David Bowie  

Fixed that for you.

Oh God, U2 - kill me now!! They seem to be massively popular in the US and Europe, but I've never met a British (or Irish!) music fan who doesn't hate them (and, in particular, Bono - the little tax-dodging hypocritical dwarf).

And everything Micheal Jackson did from about 1982 onwards was utter toilet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 08:46:40 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2014, 09:26:34 AM »

Oh, God, yes.

U2 is the worst.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:13 AM »

The more time goes by the less I like U2. Bono is the main reason I suppose. Albums like BOY, WAR, THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE and THE JOSHUA TREE are good; can't stand much after that.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

U2 overrated? In a modern sense, yes. They even just won a golden globe (and an academy award nomination) for a very mediocre song. In the last 20 years they have done nothing new, yet they still make headlines/charts.

But when I spin The Joshua Tree, I forget all about this. Brilliant record.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2014, 02:52:40 PM »

Fixed that for you.

IMO the Berlin period was really the result of Bowie's declining interest in songwriting -- it was easier for him to fill up an album with improvised instrumentals and call it "art" rather than actually write ten songs. The two albums that came before Low -- Young Americans, and Station to Station, have respectively 8 and 6 songs (including one cover on each album).

Also, "Heroes" the album sucks.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 03:18:55 PM by Gabo » Logged
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: January 18, 2014, 08:38:16 PM »

U2 overrated? In a modern sense, yes. They even just won a golden globe (and an academy award nomination) for a very mediocre song. In the last 20 years they have done nothing new, yet they still make headlines/charts.

Achtung Baby and Pop were brilliant records too, I think..... It's amazing to look back on a time when they were an envelope pushing band!!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2014, 01:21:20 AM »

IMO the Berlin period was really the result of Bowie's declining interest in songwriting -- it was easier for him to fill up an album with improvised instrumentals and call it "art" rather than actually write ten songs. The two albums that came before Low -- Young Americans, and Station to Station, have respectively 8 and 6 songs (including one cover on each album).

Actually I'd totally forgot about Station to Station, there's some good stuff on that.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2014, 02:05:09 AM »

Actually I'd totally forgot about Station to Station, there's some good stuff on that.

I love a lot of Bowie's stuff - the second side of Low is pure musical nirvana - but I've always hated Young Americans with a passion. Horrible song, and the bit where they quote the Beatles is just embarrassing.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2014, 02:55:14 AM »

Achtung Baby and Pop were brilliant records too, I think..... It's amazing to look back on a time when they were an envelope pushing band!!!

Indeed. Love those records!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2014, 02:57:59 AM »

I would have to throw out Mötley Crüe. Never heard anything in their music that wold motivate me to buy an album.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2014, 03:22:55 AM »

I would have to throw out Mötley Crüe. Never heard anything in their music that wold motivate me to buy an album.

Yeah, but does anybody actually rate them highly? 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2014, 06:57:46 AM »

I'd imagine their fans (of which they have many) do. That's what makes this sort of exercise sort of pointless. Is there an objective rating for anyone, or is it just a game to compare our separate, subjective rankings? Whose ratings are we talking about? Especially in this world of fractured, hyper-focused media, there isn't even really such a thing as a mainstream media to complain about doing the overrating. Frankly, I'd probably say people on this board overrate the Beach Boys more than anything else.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 19, 2014, 08:17:06 AM »

I'd imagine their fans (of which they have many) do. That's what makes this sort of exercise sort of pointless. Is there an objective rating for anyone, or is it just a game to compare our separate, subjective rankings? Whose ratings are we talking about? Especially in this world of fractured, hyper-focused media, there isn't even really such a thing as a mainstream media to complain about doing the overrating. Frankly, I'd probably say people on this board overrate the Beach Boys more than anything else.

Good points. It's true that, for example, overrated by critics and overrated by the public at large are two completely different things. It was the former category that I had in mind when I wondered whether Motley Crue actually gets any praise.

Anyway, I think "well-known bands I don't get the love for" would be a more fitting title for this topic, as it doesn't come with any "objective" implication attached to it. The posts would mostly be the same, I think.
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 19, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »

U2. Freakin' boring shite.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 19, 2014, 12:50:12 PM »

Anyway, I think "well-known bands I don't get the love for" would be a more fitting title for this topic, as it doesn't come with any "objective" implication attached to it.

I tend to agree with this with the exception of U2, everything they have done for the past 20 years is massively overrated to the point of absurdity.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx