gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:06:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What live act must you see before you die?  (Read 9832 times)
trumpet sounds
« on: January 15, 2006, 06:22:00 AM »

I've seen what's left of Big Star and Smile live, I always said I could die happy if I saw either one of these acts live. Now if I can only witness a reformed Genesis with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, THEN I can die a happy man!

What live act must you see before you die?
Jason
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 06:56:25 AM »

I would love to see Os Mutantes reunite for one last tour and album, that is, if Arnaldo Baptista isn't permanently messed up from his drug abuse (last I heard, his performing ability had been hindered to a major extent). Getting Rita Lee to do it would be the hardest part.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2006, 07:00:07 AM »

First, I'm disappointed to have missed out on the following, which all broke up and/or had members die before I was old enough to see concerts or, in the case of Zappa, I just wasn't familiar yet: Big Star (I don't count the Big Posies Star group), Hendrix, Led Zeppelin (saw Page & Plant...not the same), Queen (no Freddie = no Queen), the Beatles, the Beach Boys, Captain Beefheart, Frank Zappa, Neutral Milk Hotel.

I'd say that the one person I really need to make sure to see is Bob Dylan. Luckily, that shouldn't be difficult. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Then I'll have seen all my musical heroes that are still alive and touring, anyway.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Maybelline
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2006, 07:07:37 AM »

Arcade Fire. I may die of excitement. The Pixies, if they continue to 'reunite'.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2006, 07:34:03 AM »

Brian Wilson
Jerry Lee Lewis

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
sugarandspice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2006, 08:47:14 AM »

Ahhh Yes  I would have said the arcade fire... (but that isnt cool cause I  am friends with  one of the band memebers.) I have tried 2 twice to make it to their concerts.... But apperently God has barred me from seeing them... (Go Richard,  GO MDI sorry have to give a shout out to our home town, it is amazing to me that some one from our tiny island  that I used to work with could make  shuch a killer  album, I a bout  shat my pants when I realized it was his album....

I am gonna  go with........  The  Streets.... and  Oliva Temor  Control..........

xoxoxo suga
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »

well mostly impossible but I'd love to see BWPS live in person, I missed out on it last year sadly but I'd love to see Brian before he officially retires from touring. I'd like to see Al Jardine's Family & Friends to cover the whole BBoys side of live shows. I'd get a kick out of seeing Weird Al live, he came to my hometown that we were moving into, but unfortunately we were moving at the time and missed it. Neil Diamond, Paul McCartney, and JET at least one more time. That should do it.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2006, 10:04:18 AM »

What I would like to see is Brian, Mike, and Al go on a retreat to Al's ranch. While there, I would like them to address their issues with each other, heal some wounds, be able to laugh a little bit about the past, and walk away with some peace of mind.

Then, I would like them to call Bruce Johnston and David Marks and form a 2006 version of the Beach Boys. From there, I would like them to work on Brian's new "rock and roll" songs, with studio assistance from Darian Sahahaja and Jeff Foskett, and record a new album for the 45th Anniversary of the Beach Boys.

Finally, I would like them to call some of their old friends, from both the Beach Boys band and Brian's band, and work out a set list that is agreeable to all. Then, before I die, I'd like to see them perform - together.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2006, 10:49:27 AM »

Sounds like an awesome plan Sheriff John Stone....

For me I would really like seeing Jars Of Clay, The Cure, Nelly Furtado, Gorillaz, Weezer, Fleetwood Mac, and possibly I would like to see Nsync reunited   Lips Sealed
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2006, 02:01:13 PM »

What I would like to see is Brian, Mike, and Al go on a retreat to Al's ranch. While there, I would like them to address their issues with each other, heal some wounds, be able to laugh a little bit about the past, and walk away with some peace of mind.

Then, I would like them to call Bruce Johnston and David Marks and form a 2006 version of the Beach Boys. From there, I would like them to work on Brian's new "rock and roll" songs, with studio assistance from Darian Sahahaja and Jeff Foskett, and record a new album for the 45th Anniversary of the Beach Boys.

Finally, I would like them to call some of their old friends, from both the Beach Boys band and Brian's band, and work out a set list that is agreeable to all. Then, before I die, I'd like to see them perform - together.

Smart, like that you'll never gonna die.... Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2006, 02:48:59 PM »

The Runaways.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »

with or without Cherie?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 03:25:51 PM »

With!

al
Smiley Smile Associate

Home again Home again jiggety jig...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 04:02:25 PM »

She was lovely wasn't she? Nearly saw them - they played the Roundhouse in Chalk Farm (saw a Townshend solo gig there in 74) and me and some friends were all set to go, but for some reason we bottled it. Can't remember wht - I think we felt a bit stupid going to see a band whose music we didn't actually like.....the idea of them was always much better than the reality. They had a great NME cover with Cherie and Joan back to back and looking wicked. Happy memories...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2006, 04:12:18 PM »

WHA???!!!!!
You're talkin' to the wrong dude on that one. One of my Top 10 bands ever.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 05:17:51 PM »

The Beach Boys with Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, Mike Love and Bruce Johnston.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 05:20:31 PM »

Yeah, didn't see this before I posted, but this is what I want.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
trumpet sounds
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 06:51:22 PM »

The Runaways.

Ian, can't believe I'm sort of one up on you in this regard, saw the Runaways live at the State Theater Minneapolis, MN on January 21, 1978. Lineup: Joan Jett, Sandy West, Lita Ford and Vicki Blue. Joan did a great job as front woman, with Lita trying to hog the spotlight every chance she could get. No Cherie Currie however, so does this count?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 08:28:44 PM »

Absolutely. A great band in that lineup as well.

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 08:38:01 PM »

I've seen the Beach Boys (Mike, Bruce, Al, and Carl), Brian and his band, and Jan & Dean. I think my life is complete now. I don't really have any desire to see anyone else.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Chance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 08:57:38 PM »

I saw that lineup of the Runaways, too, in the summer of '78. They opened for The Ramones at the Capitol Theater in Passaic NJ, and we left after thier set was over because we were huge Runaways fans and anything after that would have been a letdown. Lifelong Runaways fan, baby. I would love to see them together again.
trumpet sounds
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2006, 06:40:36 AM »

One more act I gotta see:

Michael Head / Shack

Why doesn't that bugger ever come stateside, except for the coasts?

Sir Rob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2006, 07:10:32 AM »

I'd really like to see Leonard Cohen live, and time's really running out on that one.  I was sorry to have missed Simon and Garfunkel's concerts a couple of years ago.  Other than that I don't think there's anyone left alive, and still able to perform a concert (hello, Syd Barrett!) who I haven't seen that I'd get over-excited about.

In history, we painted pictures grim.  The devil knows we might feel that way again.
zelilgirlI1cenu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 01:18:43 PM »

I'd like to see Bruce Springsteen. But I guess I did see SMiLE and Greendale, what else could I possibly wish for.

Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 01:48:19 PM »

E Street this year, Daniele.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: