gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:43:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Leave it to the Bootleggers - POB and Bamboo Digipak  (Read 7858 times)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 20, 2006, 12:24:47 AM »

I couldn't believe it when I went into a record store at weekend and saw a digipak, double silver disc CD of Pacific Ocean Blue with Bamboo the second disc, choc full of additional Dennis live performances, out-takes and rarities. It's presentation is fantastic, not unlike the Sea of Tunes collection. Rarities it contains

Sounds of Free / Lady
4 Versions of Wild Situation
At least 4 versions of River Song
Lady live on David Frost

There's about 44 songs on the collection anyway...

I have POB on vinyl which my friend gave to me, and I was thinking of forking out for the CD addition on ebay but when I saw this, how could I refuse???!!!

I asked the guy behind the counter home many he'd sold and he said 20 copies! I have got the second to last copy. If the bootleggers can pull their finger out and get a quality package with additional songs on, why the hell can't a record company? The DEMAND is there!

Does anybody else have this? Or is this a new release?  Smokin

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 12:27:44 AM by Zander » Logged

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 02:00:14 AM »

Been around for a few years.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 02:24:29 AM »

Cool.

Here in Holland we have a law that says you're allowed to squat a building if it has not been used for over a year and the owner can't prove that he has any concrete plans for it. There should be a similar law for out-of-print albums. If the label or copyright owners are too stubborn or lazy to re-release it, just go ahead and bootleg it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2006, 02:30:44 AM by shelter » Logged
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 08:04:09 AM »

i got this also as a cdr by trading. Good quality. Way to go getting the original one. I saw it once go for 70 us dollars on ebay.
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 01:02:51 AM »

i got this also as a cdr by trading. Good quality. Way to go getting the original one. I saw it once go for 70 us dollars on ebay.

I bought the original Pacific Ocean Blue cd a couple of years ago for € 5. The same guy also sold David Crosby's If I Only Could Remember My Name. Also for € 5. Some people just don't know what they're selling!
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 01:57:13 AM »

yea thats the truth
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 03:04:00 PM »

HuhHuh

.. more info, please  Cool Guy

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 12:25:10 AM »

HuhHuh

.. more info, please  Cool Guy

Hi Ken

With Wild Situation, there's a backing track, Dennis with Backing track, backing vocals and backing track and both Dennis / bv's with track.

River Song - Dennis with Beach Boys bv's with track (well it doesn't have the gospel choir, and Carl's in the mix), live version, instrumental, and the original, I think! i may stand to be corrected...

There's 3 versions of Pacific Ocean Blue, 2 X Sound of Free, You Are So Beautiful live at Anaheim (better than the Knebworth version) 10,000 years, Holy Evening, Baby Blue & Love Surrounds Me early versions etc

I hope this is of some help....  angel
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 07:44:42 AM by Zander » Logged

mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2006, 01:48:31 AM »

To me the obvious way to get POB out legally is (if you own the rights) to pitch the songs and get one in a movie soundtrack.  I think the POB songs lend themselves well to that because of the high level of emotion the songs express and the fairly vast soundscape of the tracks.  It is even possible, I believe, that (if one of the songs were to be placed in a hit movie) a song like the 'River Song' could become a hit - now.  That would obviously make re-releasing the album  financially logical.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 01:50:57 AM by mikee » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2006, 12:22:41 AM »

Maybe the Beach Boys could include River Song or Lady on one of their many Greatest Hits compilations.

I don't really believe that going to happen, by the way.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2006, 04:43:02 AM »

Has "Lady" ever been officially released on CD? Dennis Wilson's version that is (I know of Eugene Kelly's version)?
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 04:58:41 AM »

Yes, on the Super furry animals' 'under the influence' CD:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Influence-Super-Furry-Animals/dp/B0006VYEEQ/sr=1-1/qid=1164286656/ref=sr_1_1/203-4864357-7825533?ie=UTF8&s=music

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 06:00:53 AM »

To me the obvious way to get POB out legally is (if you own the rights) to pitch the songs and get one in a movie soundtrack.  I think the POB songs lend themselves well to that because of the high level of emotion the songs express and the fairly vast soundscape of the tracks.  It is even possible, I believe, that (if one of the songs were to be placed in a hit movie) a song like the 'River Song' could become a hit - now.  That would obviously make re-releasing the album  financially logical.

I think "You & I" would make a sure hit with right promotion. I'd say "River song" is too complex to be a hit today.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2006, 06:57:23 AM »

Just found the description on the 'net below for the boot, I can't find a track listing though for those who are interested! I'm too lazy to type it out  Wink

Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue + Bamboo [The Homer Entertainment HED 2CD] CD1 has out-of-print first album and rarities. CD2 has unreleased second album and rarities. CD2 sound quality is same as recent Bamboo boots. VG+ - EX

Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2006, 07:46:19 AM »

Hi Ken

With Wild Situation, there's a backing track, Dennis with Backing track, backing vocals and backing track and both Dennis / bv's with track.

River Song - Dennis with Beach Boys bv's with track (well it doesn't have the gospel choir, and Carl's in the mix), live version, instrumental, and the original, I think! i may stand to be corrected...

There's 3 versions of Pacific Ocean Blue, 2 X Sound of Free, You Are So Beautiful live at Anaheim (better than the Knebworth version) 10,000 years, Holy Evening, Baby Blue & Love Surrounds Me early versions etc

I hope this is of some help....  angel

Yep, thanks for filling me in .. I'd forgotten just how many times those songs had gotten around in their various forms. At least on this collection, everything's available in one place.

Thanks again, Zander,
Ken.

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 10:55:36 PM »

If that has been in stores, it hasn't come to Dallas, TX or I would've seen it by now. I'll have to check amazon.com or something.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 07:06:34 AM »

Here's the link to buy it on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DENNIS-WILSON-Pacific-Ocean-Blue-sealed-CD_W0QQitemZ290055887138QQihZ019QQcategoryZ307QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

Tracklisting below...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 07:13:22 AM »

Yeah, I can almost read that!
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 07:18:56 AM »

Yeah, that's the large picture off ebay, I would scan my copy in but I think that's the best your gonna get...

Do you fancy typing it out for us out Rider?   LOL Heh heh!

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »

Maybe the Beach Boys could include River Song or Lady on one of their many Greatest Hits compilations.

I don't really believe that going to happen, by the way.

River Song was on Ten Years of Harmony.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 12:49:42 PM »

Thank you Zander. Wow, that's exspensive. I just bought a rare Beach Boys tribute cd from Elephant 6, called Smiling Pets. I'm still waiting for that to come in the mail. I will probably make the Dennis cd my next purchase.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2006, 08:05:51 AM »

mmmm it has been removed from ebay or did somebody bought it Huh
Dugan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 03:16:50 PM »

mmmm it has been removed from ebay or did somebody bought it Huh

They probably were tipped off that it was a bootleg. Sad