gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680781 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 23, 2024, 08:51:42 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: things you like about Mike Love  (Read 21815 times)
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »

Ok, thanks for clearing it up! Now I see what you meant.
I agree with you, it's really kind of funny, but It's just people chatting about a member of their favorite band and sharing their thoughts on that person.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2010, 03:29:00 PM »

No, it doesn't. The emoticon line was an entirely unrelated joke. My point was minimal to begin with, also not much more than a half-thought joke on the idea of people listing things they like about Mike Love, as if it should be hard to come up with a list when the guy is a major force in one of the biggest rock-pop bands of all time. I mean, imagine: come up with a list of things you like about John Lennon, or Ray Davies, or James Brown. So the point was a play on that. People who are (with all due respect, presumably) average in their anonymous little lives critiquing someone who has quite literally made a name for himself in the history books of pop music. It's funny (to me). That was the point.
Yeah, totally valid line of reasoning. Never criticize someone if you haven't done better yourself. That reminds me of something: my car burst into flames the other day because I dropped a penny on it, but because I haven't built a car that works, I'd never call the company that made it terrible.

I'm sorry, but I've seen this sort of merda too many times to not speak up about it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 03:30:25 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2010, 04:06:55 PM »

Just trying to maintain a little perspective on things. I didn't deny anyone his chance to to critique Mike Love or anyone else; it's entirely in the angle, the presentation. But, hey, I'm glad to give you the chance to speak up: after all, the Mike Love-bashers have truly been an under-represented force in pop culture these past few decades. It's time someone spoke up for them. You're very brave! (For our German-speaking or dense friends, this, too, was lighthearted [if not especially humorous] Lutheranism [of the non-Jesus/non-95 theses variety]).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Reggie Dunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2010, 07:56:51 PM »

This is getting dumber by the minute, wasn't the topic M.L. and not
some stoners debating semantics ?

No Wilson's = No Beach Boys.

Beware of Imitators. Est. 2006
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2010, 08:09:11 PM »

Who's a stoner? And would a stoner be capable of arguing semantics? Sorry to disappoint you, though, Mr. Dunbar. I certainly hope the past few posts didn't in any way ruin your internet connection, keyboard, fingers, or mind from posting more appropriate thoughts on the topic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:54 PM »

Who's a stoner? And would a stoner be capable of arguing semantics? Sorry to disappoint you, though, Mr. Dunbar. I certainly hope the past few posts didn't in any way ruin your internet connection, keyboard, fingers, or mind from posting more appropriate thoughts on the topic.
Sort of reminds me of Bill Hicks's "comedy hole", except he actually had something to say.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2010, 12:30:14 AM »

« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 01:10:37 AM by Stegibo » Logged

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2010, 05:54:49 AM »

Well it's been proved on this board time and time again, nothing starts up a cyber-war of words more than the mere uttering of the words "I like/dislike* Mike Love".
Just ask Sheriff John Stone if you can find him.   Grin

*Delete as applicable
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 05:58:37 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »

Let's also not take Luther's comments sooooooo seriously. He wasn't talking about an exploding car, he was asking who here thinks they'd make a better lyricist, lead singer, frontman for the Beach Boys than the guy who's done it for over 40 years and has contributed to some of the most famous songs in music history and has made a name for himself in the process! ......

Anyone?
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »

Just saying... Cool

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2010, 06:59:44 PM »

Let's also not take Luther's comments sooooooo seriously. He wasn't talking about an exploding car, he was asking who here thinks they'd make a better lyricist, lead singer, frontman for the Beach Boys than the guy who's done it for over 40 years and has contributed to some of the most famous songs in music history and has made a name for himself in the process! ......

Anyone?
And what I was getting at is that line of reasoning is baloney. If criticism required one to have done better than the subject of the criticism, the only people who could call judgment on the President would be former Presidents. And I know we all have judgments when it comes to Obama.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 09, 2010, 06:57:48 PM »

Mr. Positivity.   I had a visit from a childhood friend the other day....and I've come to notice that when I am around old friends, from my school days, we end up regressing to that time, not nostalgia, we just fall into it.......how cool this is or that is and neat stuff we are doing.....the heaviness of the years floats away...............there is hope and positivity again........where there was the burden of age.

And following that visit, I was driving home from work couple days later listening to beachboys.......and it hit me........all those old BB songs were full of joy and looking forward to the next great thing......everything was just the greatest....surfin, cars, getting around, falling in love, girls on the beach, just bursting with eagerness and youthful pride, hope,  and excitement.......not to sound corny, but , as Mike has pointed out, he WAS Mr. positivity.

Just sayin.
Jason
« Reply #87 on: June 09, 2010, 07:43:34 PM »

Donald hit the nail on the head. Preach it, brother.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 10, 2010, 04:21:12 PM »

Anyone?
And what I was getting at is that line of reasoning is baloney. If criticism required one to have done better than the subject of the criticism, the only people who could call judgment on the President would be former Presidents. And I know we all have judgments when it comes to Obama.
All well and good, except that I wasn't refusing anyone's right to critique or asking who thinks they'd be better than Love. I was chuckling a little at ordinary (mediocre?) people's gusto when they critique far more successful--and most likely far more talented--people. That's all. Not refusing/denying/censoring/punching/semantics-arguing/ going on. Chuckling. Laughing. It's healthy. I will agree wholly with Erik H's initial sentence. I've bolded it for [plural] your convenience.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2010, 12:49:47 PM »

-Big Sur (version 1 & holland)
-All I want to Do (live in Londone where he yells: "are you ready?!?!?" I can just see him struting like mcjagger)
-All I wanna Do vocals
-Sumahama, yeah, i actually kinda like this song.
-getcha back- I like better than Kokomo
-Male Ego vocals
-Monster Mash
-that's not me vocals
-here today
-his blend with Brian on Kiss Me baby
-nice vocals on Meant for you
-California Girls lead vocals, he nails it!

Long Tall Texan.  Isn't that the name of it?  Would ONLY work with Mike singing it, lol.  It's so bad it's great. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »

I'm gonna add two things to my list:

-Cool Head, Warm Fart
-First Love (just the song), it's a guilty pleasure.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2011, 02:31:35 PM »

I like fact that he made male pattern baldness acceptable for rock musicians.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:23 PM »

I like fact that he made male pattern baldness acceptable for rock musicians.
Yeah, and that was in 1965!  LOL

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2011, 06:37:53 AM »

Aber Deutsch verstehst du wohl eh nicht.

Ich schon.  Grin (This will make AGD go mad... Cool )

I like a lot of Mike's lyrics and most of his pre-1976 vocals. I think his voice would have been perfect for singing the line "Surf's up aboard a tidal wave", way more that any of the other BBs.

I think he has little understanding for Brian as a person, but I don't blame him.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
ghost
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2011, 06:40:21 AM »

Every time Mike does his "Whennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" live, he is actually purifying the environment through the use of TM* Vedic science in the form of mantric vibrational magic. What we interpret as an arrogant display of nasality has actually been preventing worldwide destruction by attuning audiences to the Love vibe.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »

Outdid Brian in the craziness factor during 1970 with his insane fasts that led to car chases and a mental institution. Its bad when you have to put Brian on the road to replace Mike, who usually never misses a show ever.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:44:05 AM by SMiLE Brian » Logged

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »

Every time Mike does his "Whennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" live, he is actually purifying the environment through the use of TM* Vedic science in the form of mantric vibrational magic. What we interpret as an arrogant display of nasality has actually been preventing worldwide destruction by attuning audiences to the Love vibe.

Anyone find it a little fishy how Mike comes back from India and reports on how influenced he is by the teachings and goes on to be a supporter/participant in the practice to this day and writes/wrote songs about the subject; but then the Beatles come back from India being let down by Maharishi (except for George). But I'm surprised that George would be apart of an album that talks crap about the Maharishi, granted, it's under the name Sexy Sadie, but still, it's the intent.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

ghost
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »

Anyone find it a little fishy how Mike comes back from India and reports on how influenced he is by the teachings and goes on to be a supporter/participant in the practice to this day and writes/wrote songs about the subject; but then the Beatles come back from India being let down by Maharishi (except for George). But I'm surprised that George would be apart of an album that talks crap about the Maharishi, granted, it's under the name Sexy Sadie, but still, it's the intent.

The Beatles developed some suspicions about Maharishi. They were not over the infatuation with all things exotic & Indian however, since John & Yoko can be read in discourse with A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada - leader of the Hare Krsna movement. And of course George was into that guy too...

Mike is a typical celebrity TMer. He'll tell you the basics but not the weird stuff that happens in the organization. Like the 'advanced practices' (for advanced yogis like Mike Love, one assumes) that involve levitating by hopping and other things that are taken from the Vedas as an infallible divine science. He probably won't tell you about all the chants and salutes to the Hindu deities either...

MBE
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »

I like his bad dancing, clothes, hair, and jokes from a comical standpoint!

Seriously though when he pushed himself he was a fine lyric writer, a good lead singer, a great bass singer, and a hard worker. Without him The Beach Boys would be less fun. Of course when he coasted (which he did almost all the time from 1981-92 and 1994-2001) he was awful. Yet when I saw him in 1993 and 2007 he did excellent shows.
rogerlancelot
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

I love watching him wiggle his ass in concert (makes me wonder if he's going to break a hip).

And even though he masterminded two of the worst Beach Boys related albums (Country Love and Disco Celebration) he never pushed hard enough for them to see a release. Thank you, Mike, for not embarrassing your fans even more!

Tongue
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx