gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:26:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: things you like about Mike Love  (Read 20818 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2011, 08:41:21 PM »

1. His lyrics after 1976
2. His Hall of Fame speach
3. Law suits
4. The fact that he prefers art over money
5. His support for Smile
6. His support for Pacific Ocean Blue
7. And this post is bull sh**

LOL!! I forgot that I posted this!

Anyways, I would like to come on here and say I don't hate Mike. I didn't hate him a year ago either. I always thought he had the narliest looks. He was also the most charismatic on stage. Dennis was the coolest, but not quite as out going as Mike. At least from what I have seen. Carl and Al are good singers/musicians, but for the most part they are boring to look at on stage. Although, his clothing of choice went down hill in the 80s. Of course didn't it for everybody?

I also believe that his lead vocal was perfect for those early surf and car songs. He could also sing a nice ballad and touch people emotionally with songs like All I Wanna Do and Everyone's in Love with You.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »

I will also add that in two interviews, Mike teared up when talking about Brian. One was on the Diane Sawyer special concerning Eugene. The other is on a BB doc from 2005(?) that I believe Mr Stebbins was involved with. In both cases Mike got emotional when talking about Brian. He says that the Brian he knew is still in his heart. I think that Mike is very sincere and loves Brian very much and wishes they weren't seperated so much. Even if his personality doesn't bode well with Brian.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:46 PM »

Carl and Al are good singers/musicians, but for the most part they are boring to look at on stage.

I beg to differ, bigtime, especially in Carl's case! Love He had plenty of stage presence, especially for us gals. I've always enjoyed watching Carl and Al perform, especially when they were singing leads.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »

He says that the Brian he knew is still in his heart. I think that Mike is very sincere and loves Brian very much and wishes they weren't seperated so much. Even if his personality doesn't bode well with Brian.

Yep. Sad

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:31 PM »

Carl and Al are good singers/musicians, but for the most part they are boring to look at on stage.

I beg to differ, bigtime, especially in Carl's case! Love He had plenty of stage presence, especially for us gals. I've always enjoyed watching Carl and Al perform, especially when they were singing leads.

OK, fair enough, but there still had to be someone for US GUYS to look at: therefore it was Mike and his moves and his wardrobe!

Honestly, I feel bad for Mike in some respects. As for his coasting: what was he supposed to do? It's obvious he worked very very well with Brian, so if Brian ain't around, he might have always felt a bit lost and maybe tried to overcompensate with his fashion choices/his personality/jokes/and over-reliance on the fun fun fun aspect of the Beach Boys (still what I love most about the band: so sue me)!

That said, him and Brian always were able to beat out some cool tunes together, even post 76.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 05, 2011, 07:40:30 AM »

Can someone point me to some fine readin' on whatever craziness Mike got into in 1970 with his fasting and car chases and whatnot? I've seen it alluded to but I don't know anything beyond that and it sounds... really weird, haha, especially as it's ML and not, like, Dennis or something!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 05, 2011, 07:44:09 AM »

Can someone point me to some fine readin' on whatever craziness Mike got into in 1970 with his fasting and car chases and whatnot? I've seen it alluded to but I don't know anything beyond that and it sounds... really weird, haha, especially as it's ML and not, like, Dennis or something!
The Gaines book gives the story in full and the Carlin book merely hints to it.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 05, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »

The Gaines book gives the story in full and the Carlin book merely hints to it.

Oh! I have only read the Carlin book. I guess the Gaines one dishes the anecdotal dirt from what I understand? Weeeell then, I must get a hold of it! Thanks.

edit: Put it and Endless Harmony (DVD) as I've not seen that either on hold at the library!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 07:49:42 AM by Midnight Special » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx