gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:25:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy's Story Coming to the Big Screen  (Read 18543 times)
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2008, 09:48:30 PM »

I like the Smile era idea, but I'd like to see more than that.  I think a series of short vignettes...jumping to different periods of Brian's life without the stock biopic type linear narrative.  Past films about the BB's have proven the story is way too long and convoluted to attempt to tell a linear story, so why try again?

And I may be raked over the coals for this, but anybody else think Josh Hartnett would be a good choice for Brian?
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/josh-hartnett.jpg

Looks quite a bit like him, tall, has star appeal.  He's not exactly Marlon Brando, but I can't think of another known young actor that fits the bill more.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 09:52:46 PM by Ebb and Flow » Logged
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 10, 2008, 12:03:19 PM »

I can actually see Hartnett being a good choice if he grew his hair out.  I never would have thought of him, but I think he could do a decent job.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2008, 02:11:38 PM »

I don't see the Smile saga as making it in a big-screen, mainstream BB/BW biopic., other than covered as a small part of the story.   I don't think the music would appeal to the masses.  People go to see biopics to see music they're familiar with and is easy to digest, as well as to sell soundtracks. 

My understanding is that David Leaf himself would direct the biopic.  The news release mentions wanting to get a screenplay written, but not seeking a director.  David is a filmmaker, albeit of documentaries, but maybe he wants to get into narrative films.  He now has the rights to the story.  Rob Reiner had them before, but apparently let them lapse (or it's a competing project).   I still don't see it happening.  The time span covered is probably too great.  Plus there's the fact that all the parties of the BB are so protective of their images and so litigious. 

Steven Soderbergh had a film project in development for the Wilson/Landy story, but I'm not sure what happened with that one.  It would cover a relatively small period of time, so it would seem doable.  I just don't know if Brian and/or Melinda Wilson would want to see that happen if they could prevent it.  One thing that makes me not want to see a Brian Wilson story onscreen is the fact that he is a vulnerable person and I certainly wouldn't want to see anything done on his life that would hurt him.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2008, 02:38:04 PM »

Caught this movie for the first time last night. Dewey Cox story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbmpo_tDlvg

The clip covers the SMiLE period quite well don't you think?  Grin
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 11, 2008, 04:50:42 PM »

Caught this movie for the first time last night. Dewey Cox story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbmpo_tDlvg

The clip covers the SMiLE period quite well don't you think?  Grin

That was awesome!  I had heard about the Smile "homage" in the movie but never actually saw it.  I loved that he looked like late 70's Brian, and telling his bandmate to learn how to play the fodaing theremin was classic.

Not to derail much, but was the movie itself any good?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2008, 05:18:30 PM »

Think of the movies 'Ray'/ 'Johny Cash' and 'Naked Gun' rolled in to one and you have the idea.
Lots of music history references and listen to the lyrics of the songs. Very well done.
Lots of clips on youtube.  Cheesy
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2008, 07:15:21 PM »

I like the Smile era idea, but I'd like to see more than that.  I think a series of short vignettes...jumping to different periods of Brian's life without the stock biopic type linear narrative.  Past films about the BB's have proven the story is way too long and convoluted to attempt to tell a linear story, so why try again?

And I may be raked over the coals for this, but anybody else think Josh Hartnett would be a good choice for Brian?
http://www.thehollywoodgossip.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/josh-hartnett.jpg

Looks quite a bit like him, tall, has star appeal.  He's not exactly Marlon Brando, but I can't think of another known young actor that fits the bill more.
Looks-wise, Jack Black could be a good Brian.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2008, 01:12:45 AM »

Jeff Bridges would make a great Murry.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to: