gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681310 Posts in 27633 Topics by 4081 Members - Latest Member: zappi June 03, 2024, 08:08:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy's Story Coming to the Big Screen  (Read 18760 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2006, 07:04:23 AM »

Elvis didn't give Cash any pills because he was straight back then etc.

Yep, Cash even said on Larry King that Elvis was clean back then.

"Great balls of fire" was also not truthful . But as long as it hasn't happened, I imagine a beautiful and honest Brian-movie (I probably would have said the same thing about An American Family some years ago, though)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2006, 09:53:53 AM »

Cameron Crowe might be a good choice for director.  He's a fan and he might be able to pull it off and 'do it right.'

Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2006, 10:28:37 AM »

After seeing the Movie version of the Broadway Musical  RENT,I'd like to see Christopher Columbus direct the Brian Wilson story.
Columbus did an amazing job of adapting RENT from the stage to the big screen.

"One song....Glory
He had the world at his feet...Glory"

Big Bri
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 11:52:28 AM »

Just a few days after Brian Wilson was inducted into the UK Hall of Fame, the songwriter has made a deal with “Saving Private Ryan” producer Mark Gordon to start work on a feature length biopic about his life.
David Leaf who has known Wilson for 30 years and previously filmed Wilson for the documentary “Beautiful Dreamer” is also on board to help with the new film.

Rights to use Wilson’s song catalogue has been granted and a scriptwriter is soon to be appointed.

Talking to Daily Variety, Wilson said, "I love the idea of there being a movie on my life, and I can't wait to see the script.”

Talking about how the film would tackle some of the hard parts of his life, Wilson said, "It's tough, and when I see the movie I'll be ill at ease at some of the bad parts. But I remember when we made 'Pet Sounds,' and I knew we were up to something spiritual and special. I have that feeling again."

The producers will take the film package to the studios once the script is complete

....now theres a thought. Tom Hanks plays the older Brian and his son, who was in a episode of "Band of Brothers" the younger.   Think Forrest Gump meets Brian Wilson. Grin

edit

Colin Hanks is the man. Here he is in training for the Sloop John B pool video shoot!

http://videodetective.com/photos/578/024295_25.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 12:10:35 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 01:19:30 PM »

You never know. This could be really good-- although I do think it will be hard to satisfy the diehard fans. But that's a small group. Biopics are never literal. They just can't be. But that doesn't mean they're always bad.

I also think that a good actor could absolutely pull off Brian's mannerisms. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. Look at Geoffrey Rush in Shine. Look at Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind. Some of those are more literal than others, but none of them come off as charicatures.

I think it would be most interesting if focused on the contradiction between Brian's extraordinary talent and his very human flaws-- kind of like Ray. His inability to overcome Murry, his inability to be an adequate husband for Marilyn (despite his love for her), his oddness and his "new best friend" thing, his addictions, his problems with his daughters...juxtaposed with his prowess in the studio and with songwriting. Brian needs more exposure. A lot of people either don't recognize his name or think he's just some weirdo recluse who wrote a few corny surf songs before he went crazy and was never heard from again.

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 02:01:43 PM »

I like the idea of using a method of storytelling similar to "Ray" Amy.  The best biopics aren't just the same old retelling of the story that people know.  They're supposed to take you deeper, expose a more personal side.  Brian's life lends itself to this perfectly.  As you said, contrasting his brilliant and innovative musical mind with his highly naive social personality and depression would be a really interesting way to go.  This is all assuming, of course, that they can find the perfect actor to bring truth to the role.  I can't imagine playing a character like Brian would be easy. 
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 02:13:11 PM »

Someone here mentioned "32 Short Films About Glenn Gould" as an example of a way to do Brian's story and I think it needs that kind of fresh approach. I'm also a big fan of the biopic "The Life & Death Of Peter Sellers" which had the novel conceit of making it look like the deceased Sellers was directing the film himself, stopping the action and reworking the script when he thought the depiction was unflattering!

I wholeheartedly agree that Cameron Crowe would be a great choice as director (remember the lingering close-up of the "Pet Sounds" album and the use of "Feel Flows" during the end credits in "Almost Famous"?), but please keep Chris Columbus away from it unless you want pure formula sap.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 02:16:57 PM by Roger Ryan » Logged
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »

Why make a movie of Brian's life?

What's the point?

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 02:53:34 PM »

Music bio's sell. As mentioned Ray, Cash plus Tina a few years ago. Didn't Ike come out looking good in that one! Afro
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 05:18:19 PM »

I understand there is money in making a sensational rock music bio, but why is there a fan interest in seeing Brian's life made into a movie.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Wilsonista
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 05:25:53 PM »

You never know. This could be really good-- although I do think it will be hard to satisfy the diehard fans. But that's a small group. Biopics are never literal. They just can't be. But that doesn't mean they're always bad.

I also think that a good actor could absolutely pull off Brian's mannerisms. Look at Phillip Seymour Hoffman in Capote. Look at Geoffrey Rush in Shine. Look at Russell Crowe in A Beautiful Mind. Some of those are more literal than others, but none of them come off as charicatures.

I think it would be most interesting if focused on the contradiction between Brian's extraordinary talent and his very human flaws-- kind of like Ray. His inability to overcome Murry, his inability to be an adequate husband for Marilyn (despite his love for her), his oddness and his "new best friend" thing, his addictions, his problems with his daughters...juxtaposed with his prowess in the studio and with songwriting. Brian needs more exposure. A lot of people either don't recognize his name or think he's just some weirdo recluse who wrote a few corny surf songs before he went crazy and was never heard from again.

That might be the only way that this movie could be good. A screen adaptation of Catch A Wave, if you will.

It's just that with David Leaf involved, some don't think that what you're proposing is going to happen. I'd love to be proven otherwise and I'd definitely pay full price if the movie winds up being what you described.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »

I have my reservations about David Leaf being involved too. That said, I still think it's better to have an overly sympathetic movie than none at all.

The way I see it, most people really have no idea about Brian's life. I was talking to the guy who cuts my hair, and I told him I was going to the BW concert next week. I said, "Do you know who he is?" And he knew the name, but he said, "Wasn't he really messed up on drugs?" And that's really all he knew. He knew Brian was in the Beach Boys and he knew he was really messed up on drugs. Then when I ventured to say that people tend to underestimate the Beach Boys, he said, "Well, they just look like a bunch of boring, clean cut guys." And that's kind of what the general public thinks. Boring, clean cut... surfing music... one of them got messed up on drugs. Not heard from again for years. Then he played the Tonight Show or something last year.
I think Brian deserves better than that.  Hey, "Amadeus" was totally inaccurate, but Mozart became like a pop star for a while there, didn't he? And the movie was pretty entertaining.
XY
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2006, 11:24:06 PM »

I understand there is money in making a sensational rock music bio, but why is there a fan interest in seeing Brian's life made into a movie.

I wouldn't be interested if Brian wouldn't be involved. Maybe HE really wants people to learn more about the person behind Brian Wilson. Not a documentary about the Beach Boys and all the public Brian Wilsons.
Maybe it would be a good idea to have a 'today Brian' commentate between scenes, a bit like "Forrest Gump"!
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 06:05:23 AM »

I was not a big  fan of the beautiful dreamer doc so would not be overly keen on leaf being involved. cameron crowe would be a good choice for director. how about

sam rockwell as al
billy cruddup as dennis
crispin glover as murry (that would be funny)

matt dillon was good in grace of my heart in a similiar brian role, gotta be jeff bridges for the older brian

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 06:18:38 AM »

billy cruddup as dennis

That guy from Almost Famous? I always thought he had that Bruce-'71-look about him....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 06:40:11 AM »

There are so many moments in Brian's life, where i wish i was standing right there.

Maybe if this movie is done right...It might seem like that.

Now that Brian is involved...People are gonna know the real deal..I guess!!

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 08:05:14 AM »

More from Wilson:
I want the film to be as honest as possible, and these dark sides belong to it."

Not a hope of this happening - should the movie ever come to pass (and i rate the chances of that at maybe 25% - this project is about 2 years too late), I guarantee the following scenes will not even be considered:

Manson recording at Brian's home studio, Brian & Carl behind the board...
Brian's relationship with Diane...
Anything to do with Landy...
Anything to do with Gary Usher...
Almost anything to do with Marilyn...
Brian trying to get his daughters to snort heroin...
What Brian did in Holland...

Brian may want the film to be as honest as possible, but somehow I doubt the proverbial "wife & managers" are of the same mindset. Any BW movie needs an outside POV.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2006, 08:49:28 AM »

Anything to do with Gary Usher?  Even the early years?  Have I missed something about Brian and Gary (other than the Landy thing later)?  Although I have a guess.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2006, 08:57:02 AM »

I was about to ask the same thing...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Howdy Doody
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 09:04:14 AM »

I believe it probably won't be all that great.  Mainly because DL is involved.  The movie will probably have to focus on a specific area  or two because there is too much to cover.  It will probably be fairly weak. 
BobMoran
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2006, 10:29:03 AM »

sounds interesting but personally i think if they span Brian's whole career it wont do it justice like 2 hours isn't enough i think. To make a decent movie about Brian i think they should just concentrate on one particular moment in his life otherwise it just becomes too generalised
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »

I don't know if it's gonna be good or bad (how could I?), but I think it's certainly gonna be interesting. The combination of "Amadeus" and "A Beautiful Mind" comes to my mind. And yes, they almost have to focus on certain time periods. It's simply impossible to compress 50 years into 2 hours. Let's just hope that the beards are real... LOL

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2006, 08:01:11 PM »

I think I should write the movie. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2006, 03:57:56 AM »

I think I should write the movie. 

First you should write the Beach Boys' gear-book...  Wink

- Jack Rieley
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2006, 09:14:18 AM »

The Beach Boys' story needs to be told on a HBO 15 episode mini-series. There, it can cover enough ground and have the flexibility to tell the real story. 3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx