gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681494 Posts in 27639 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 08, 2024, 07:04:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy's Story Coming to the Big Screen  (Read 18765 times)
XY
« on: November 15, 2006, 01:59:35 AM »

Beach Boy's Story Coming to the Big Screen
Source: Variety November 15, 2006

Chief Beach Boy Brian Wilson has made a deal with producer Mark Gordon to tell his life story in a feature film.

Variety says Gordon is teaming with filmmaker David Leaf (who chronicled Wilson's creation of the album "Smile" in his documentary Beautiful Dreamer) and Wilson's managers Ronnie Lippin and Jean Sievers to construct a package that will include rights to Wilson's vast catalog of songs. They will set a writer shortly and then take the package out to studios.

"I love the idea of there being a movie on my life, and I can't wait to see the script," Wilson told the trade, while preparing to sing "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" during his Tuesday night induction into the U.K. Music Hall of Fame. He was being inducted with Led Zeppelin, Rod Stewart and George Martin.

Gordon said Wilson's willingness to include the rough spots in his life, and the guidance of Leaf (who has known Wilson for 30 years), gives the movie its core.

http://comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=17558
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2006/1115/wilsonb.html
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 03:04:15 AM »

Interesting. Of course, they've been talking about a movie for years now, even making mention of it in the old Break Away newsletter,

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 03:14:38 AM »

Let's hope they do a good job. Is this likely to be on the scale of Ray or Walk the Line?

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 04:06:52 AM »

Man, I wish they would make the story about all three Wilson brothers...perhaps a trilogy? A movie on the life of Brian will be great...but theres so much slack that Carl and Denny pick up in the late 60s and early 70s that its gonna be like a black hole if they just stick with BW...

I dunno, this might be good...but who knows.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 05:46:30 AM »

A movie about every Beach Boy would take too much time, so they settled to the most famous one. I think it's a very good idea, although I'd like to see a "complete" movie too.

EDIT: BTW I hope they use Peter Ames Carlin's book as a guide, besides of course Leaf and Brian himself.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 06:01:04 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 07:03:00 AM »

I really hope this comes to fruition this time...Brian deserves something on the level of "Walk the Line" and "Ray".  I only wonder how you manage to tell his story in less than 2 1/2 hours? 
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 08:36:28 AM »

Lets hope its a bit more even handed than 'An American Family' or 'Endless summer' (is that what it was called, the one with Bruce Greenwood), lets have real beards and something which doesn't stop in 1968/1976 etc
I'm sure with Leaf in the picture (no pun intended) it will come out fine, if a little too Brian heavy but then its a film about him! We don't need to see endless bits of Mike going "Hey Brian, what if I go 'I'm pickin' up good vibrations'"

Casting should be the guy who played Casey in Dawsons creek to play Mike Love because his speaking voice is virtually identical.
Brian, I don't know, (Maybe Jeff Bridges for the older man) if like Walk the line they get people to re-sing the songs I don't think it'll work too well, Johnny Cash's drawl is not the same as Brians golden falsetto, i'm sure Mark Linett can isolate Brian singing from the vaults so that would all be fine.
Matt Damon should have a cameo as Al Jardine, and John Stamos should have no involvement.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:23:57 AM »

Just to give an idea of what Mark Gordon does.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0330428/
XY
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 10:39:19 AM »

More from Wilson:

"I love the idea of there being a movie on my life, and I can't wait to see the script. When I see the movie I'll be ill at ease at some of the bad parts but I remember when we made PET SOUNDS, and I knew we were up to something spiritual and special. I have that feeling again.  I want the film to be as honest as possible, and these dark sides belong to it."
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 10:58:07 AM »

Is it possible to keep Leaf totally out of this project?

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 11:24:38 AM »

Please, no more BB biopics!! Not even about just one of them. The first two were done SO-O-O-O badly. I rather see a good balanced documentary made than something semi-fictionalized with actors.

Brian's story has been so over-romanticized in the service of telling a good tale over the years, I just don't see how yet another biopic can do his life genuine justice. I'm far more interested in who the real human being Brian Wilson is than the larger-than-life character his legend has become. Unfortunately, that's not what sells tickets or DVDs.

Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »

Why?  I'm sure Leaf will be more even handed then Mike was for the ABC mini-series, the one that had to have the disclaimer for night 2.

In fact, when they make the movie, everytime the "Mike" character appears on screen they should put the same disclaimer used for the ABC mini-series at the bottom of the screen as a running joke.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 12:09:34 PM »

Why?  I'm sure Leaf will be more even handed then Mike was for the ABC mini-series, the one that had to have the disclaimer for night 2.

In fact, when they make the movie, everytime the "Mike" character appears on screen they should put the same disclaimer used for the ABC mini-series at the bottom of the screen as a running joke.

I've seen how Beautiful Dreamer was 'even handed'. I'd say that both sides have had their chance to produce revisionist crap. 

No more, please. If "Ray" had Leaf in the production team we'd learn that Ray Charles was a junkie and cheater, but only because his band members didn't support his ideas.  Grin

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
SG7
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 12:34:01 PM »

YES! My chance finally to be Marilyn Wilson...  Grin  LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2006, 01:09:16 PM »

I can see this done in the style of the Cash flick. Safe. Very little on the fellow band members. I have that DVD and still don't know their names. The stuff that is well known such Murry, 64 tour mental  breakdown, the drugs and then Landy will be the bulk of the story but forget anything about the group as such.  The love-interest formula  can't be f***ed with so I don't see Marilyn objecting, she was the only good thing for him. Some how I don't see time in the movie to mention "Getting I O M Head" Shocked Maybe the bloopers!
Of course like Ray and W T Line, you need a happy ending. (Que live shot of Real Brian launching into H and V from SMiLE tour.) Grin

Movie writing offers to yours truly care of this board.

Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »

I don't see this having appeal to hardcore BB fans like those who frequent this board - all we'll see is how much is being left out, what "artistic license changes" have been wrought with accuracy sacrificed, etc.  Brian's life journey is an incredible story but didn't Leaf already tell it in Beautiful Dreamer?  Do we need a biopic going over the same ground, ending with the triumph of Smile?  On the other hand, for the general public with only a passing acquaintance with Brian's story, this could be a great vehicle to further appreciation for Briain's music.

And didn't Monty Python already make this film? Wink
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2006, 01:56:42 PM »

Hmm...A chance to see Brian Wilson's Life on the big screen is intresting..

And his life on script is Oscar worthy if done right!!

Big question now is....Who plays Brian?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 02:11:05 PM »

I can see this done in the style of the Cash flick. Safe. Very little on the fellow band members. I have that DVD and still don't know their names.

Don't forget that Cash was a solo-artist while Brian was the producer/songwriter/singer of one of the biggest bands in history and part of them were even his family. You can't just leave them out like they did with Al Jardine in "Summer dreams".

BTW Luther Perkins and Marshall Grant (later on drums W.S. Holland)

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2006, 02:28:06 PM »

Please, no more BB biopics!! Not even about just one of them. The first two were done SO-O-O-O badly. I rather see a good balanced documentary made than something semi-fictionalized with actors.

I agree with this. Give me a good documentary any day. Especially in the case of Brian Wilson. Actors can't due Brian's story/condition justice. You show some of those disturbing photographs and equally disturbing interviews that we've all seen and people will get the picture....
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2006, 03:43:54 PM »

I can see this done in the style of the Cash flick. Safe. Very little on the fellow band members. I have that DVD and still don't know their names.

Don't forget that Cash was a solo-artist while Brian was the producer/songwriter/singer of one of the biggest bands in history and part of them were even his family. You can't just leave them out like they did with Al Jardine in "Summer dreams".

They could do it in the style of Ray, since he was the producer(?)/songwriter/singer. Raylettes/The Beach Boys, Ray/Brian, and  Ray/Brian evolving with their music that sort of thing. I know it's not exactly the same thing, but you get the picture

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »

Yeah..he sucks. And he's a horrible director. Just bad.  Evil

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2006, 04:18:19 PM »

I hope it doesn't get made.  It will be bad.  I don't think it will be good for Brian.  Besides, it doesn't really have a classic "happy" ending, as pointed out by whatever person made the A & E biography documentary on Brian's life.  Brian is doing very well, but he still looks odd to most people.  I don't see how you can get around that and be honest.  Sure, he went back on the stage, but can you imagine some actor portraying his hand gestures and facial expressions and having it come off well?  Plus, everyone in Brian's life comes across as being manipulative, including both Marilyn and Melinda, just due to Brian's passive nature.  The film will either be a whitewash, or Brian will not come off well.  His reality, even now, is just a little too raw. 
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »

I don't see this having appeal to hardcore BB fans like those who frequent this board - all we'll see is how much is being left out, what "artistic license changes" have been wrought with accuracy sacrificed, etc. 

Any time Brian's music can be reached by a large group of people I'm happy. Of course it won't be as accurate as we like, but it's better than nothing.
MBE
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2006, 08:07:36 PM »

Agreed I cringe when I see his name. He is to Brian what  Elliot Mintz is to Lennon
« Last Edit: November 15, 2006, 08:12:25 PM by MBE » Logged
MBE
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2006, 08:11:52 PM »

What I hate about these movies is that the truth is interesting but they always invent stuff. Even Walk The Line.  June and Johnny didn't get close until 1961 or so. Elvis and Jerry Lee never toured together. Elvis didn't give Cash any pills because he was straight back then etc. I mean Viviane Cash was supposed of been very supportive of his music. The film could have been GREAT had they just paid closer attention to years and not make statments that don't back up facts. Brian is going to be 300 pounds in 1968 again and not writing. Just watch.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx