gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680823 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:46:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boy's Story Coming to the Big Screen  (Read 18651 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2006, 02:26:14 PM »

I've actually been thinking about writing a "pilot" episode for an HBO type series, not directly about the Beach Boys, but heavily based on them.  It's sort of like if Entourage was set in 1965 and Vincent Chase was a hip musical leader of a huge band.  Sice it would be so hard to tell the Beach Boys story and do it justice, I figured why not just sort of homage the whole time period.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2006, 06:03:59 PM »

Nice one, Josh. Thats something I would definitely be interested in...something I wish I could work on myself tbh.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
XY
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2006, 07:17:55 AM »

Is it possible to keep Leaf totally out of this project?

Yeah..he sucks. And he's a horrible director. Just bad.  Evil

Some people seem to have a problem with David Leaf...why???
I think the SMILE docu is really good and I read on the boards that Al Jardine, Mike Love, Marilyn Wilson etc... were asked to be a part of this film, but refused. So it's really not David Leaf's fault, isn't it?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2006, 07:24:11 AM »

@Jasper: I guess it's because he (Melinda too) likes to blandish some thing about Brian like the drugs or make the other BBs look like "parasites". I agree that "Beautiful dreamer" is a great film and I think it's also great that Leaf is involved in the movie but he shouldn't be the only producer imo...

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
XY
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »

@Rocker: OK. But "Beautiful Dreamer" has a well balanced view on the drug-topic IMHO. Brian talks about the amphetamines, marihuana, sandwiches etc... he took and how he wrote "California Girls" on LSD. On the other hand, there are Voose and Parks saying that drugs are the biggest red-herring in BW history. I think they and Melinda just want to point out that the main problem at that point weren't the drugs, it was the undiagnosed illness.
SG7
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2006, 12:40:20 PM »

I think I should write the movie. 

You are going to have to write me as Marilyn then  LOL

"Brian! Why a sandbox? Who are all of these weird people in our house? Your doing drugs other then Asprin? Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!"

There my audition piece. You dig  Cool
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2006, 01:09:59 PM »

Well, im directing, and you get the part!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SG7
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2006, 01:22:47 PM »

Grin
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2006, 03:10:58 PM »

@Rocker: OK. But "Beautiful Dreamer" has a well balanced view on the drug-topic IMHO. Brian talks about the amphetamines, marihuana, sandwiches etc... he took and how he wrote "California Girls" on LSD. On the other hand, there are Voose and Parks saying that drugs are the biggest red-herring in BW history. I think they and Melinda just want to point out that the main problem at that point weren't the drugs, it was the undiagnosed illness.

The drugs issue is the only thing one can't possibly blame on 'the parasites' (Rovell sisters and the Beach Boys). Call it a big red-herring (haha) and the field is clear for some good old bashing of the usual villains.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2007, 09:17:56 PM »

As long as Mike Love is vilified then I'll be happy.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
sherryluvsbrian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2007, 05:03:52 AM »

Has anyone heard anything about the movie?

If you want to know me, listen to my music.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 26, 2007, 03:12:34 AM »

I just looked through "Catch a wave" by Peter Ames Carlin again yesterday and I still think they should use this great book for the movie. Only they should start with the rooftop-reunion (of course using the original footage) and not with the Landmark thing, and then fade back to the early days, just like Peter did in his book.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 26, 2007, 09:09:08 AM »

Just on looks alone, I have always thought two of the Baldwin brothers (Alec and Billy) could pull off playing Brian (Alec) and Dennis (Billy), especially Alec.  Unfortunately, now Alec is too old to play a young Brian.  Perhaps an older Brian. 

I just looked through "Catch a wave" by Peter Ames Carlin again yesterday and I still think they should use this great book for the movie. Only they should start with the rooftop-reunion (of course using the original footage) and not with the Landmark thing, and then fade back to the early days, just like Peter did in his book.

I agree.  By far the best book to use as a reference guide for a movie on Brian and his life.
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 26, 2007, 08:13:51 PM »

It's going to be Leaf's book, I'm sure, because he's the one that's the latest to try to get it made.  It would be best to use as many books and articles as possible for sources, but that won't be done, because it would get too expensive.  It will be interesting to see how well Leaf does if he manages to get the financing.  He's never directed a non-documentary film before, so it's impossible to tell how well he would do just from that standpoint. 
exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2008, 06:19:28 AM »

as anyone heard anything else about this? i suggest Paul Thomas Anderson (Boogie Nights, Magnolia) direct a trilogy each part covering a different decade. he seems to me to be the only director who could handle something like this. he's really good at juggling characters and weaving story lines, he is from Los Angeles and is probably a Beach Boys fan (he makes good use of God Only Knows at the end of Boogie Nights)
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:06 AM »

100% agree. If it's anyone but a master filmmaker like Anderson, you can bet it will be garbage and clich'd.

God help us if that Brett Ratner guy gets the gig. I heard his name bandied around. What a total square, and lame filmmaker to boot.
egamipeaks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:28 AM »

If Paul Thomas Anderson did it, it would be so amazing. But biopics almost always suck. I doubt he would do it. Scorcese would be cool too.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2008, 12:11:21 PM »

Just the year of "Smile" would be enough. The backstory is clear, and what came later is implied by the end of the "Smile" year.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2008, 02:04:58 PM »

Just the year of "Smile" would be enough. The backstory is clear, and what came later is implied by the end of the "Smile" year.

Great concept. The BB career has for better or worse been covered on the small screen and of course much is brushed over or missed by time constraints. A brief period would make great viewing but may generate only limited interest from non fans unfortunately.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »

Someone mentioned Beautiful Dreamer.   Thanks!!!!!   I'd somehow forgotten  about that one as I was going through my BB DVDs recently.  I'm going to get that back out an watch it again ..........haven't seen it since it was released.

Anybody know where one can find the bio channel film that was shown a few years ago?  I had most of it on tape but have no idea where it might be now.
brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 08, 2008, 03:46:12 PM »

I think the "Smile" saga, if done right, could have the largest appeal. Plus, so much actual dialogue and day to day action has been captured in the interviews, the articles and news clippings. Also the amount of talking captured on the session tapes. Often times, movie dialogue sounds like it was written around interview stories from years later, whereas the "Smile" saga was well-documented and unearthed.

It would not be hard to recount how the Beach Boys got to be so big by 1966. While Brian is working on "Smile," archival footage could be used from "Beach Boys in London" to show what they are doing. Marianne Faithful recounts their biggest hits and career history in the first three minutes. In fact, use that clip for the opening credits. When "Beach Boys in London" gets to the part where it zooms in on that news clipping that reads: "What is Brother Brian Doing Back at Home?," then you cut to Brian conducting the "Fire" sessions. Begin saga.

Anyway, I'm just saying...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2008, 04:07:40 PM »

Anybody know where one can find the bio channel film that was shown a few years ago?  I had most of it on tape but have no idea where it might be now.

All on youtube if you can be bothered.

Heres part one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_KtqKVOSUk
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 08, 2008, 04:33:35 PM »

I think the "Smile" saga, if done right, could have the largest appeal. Plus, so much actual dialogue and day to day action has been captured in the interviews, the articles and news clippings. Also the amount of talking captured on the session tapes. Often times, movie dialogue sounds like it was written around interview stories from years later, whereas the "Smile" saga was well-documented and unearthed.

It would not be hard to recount how the Beach Boys got to be so big by 1966. While Brian is working on "Smile," archival footage could be used from "Beach Boys in London" to show what they are doing. Marianne Faithful recounts their biggest hits and career history in the first three minutes. In fact, use that clip for the opening credits. When "Beach Boys in London" gets to the part where it zooms in on that news clipping that reads: "What is Brother Brian Doing Back at Home?," then you cut to Brian conducting the "Fire" sessions. Begin saga.

Anyway, I'm just saying...

Yeah it's doable.....

After Leaf's and Mike's funerals.

brianc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 08, 2008, 04:37:58 PM »

I don't think David Leaf would block directors like Martin Scorcese or Paul Thomas Anderson from directing with whatever vision they choose, so long as it's factual. David Leaf is a very sensible guy, in my opinion. He's been encouraging and helpful to directors, with regards to Brian, through the years.

As for Mike, well... who knows. He had his version, with his director, John Stamos. Maybe he'd allow Brian's story to be told from that POV in a biopic.
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2008, 09:08:41 PM »

Yeah. Just imagine Scorcese, first day of shooting. Take one of Brian writing and directing the H&V rant in Wally Heider's. David Leaf just storms into the set, halts the proceedings, takes a good breath, and says:

"Martin oh Martin..... Sources, please?"

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx