gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:15:31 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hawthorne CA Time To Get Alone  (Read 3645 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2006, 11:42:19 PM »

Is the version of TTGA on Hawthorne CA a mix done at the time of the 20/20 sessions or newly done for Hawthorne CA? Who did this mix?

Thanks

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2006, 01:34:04 AM »

According to the liner notes, this version was found on one of the Wild Honey session tapes, which shows the basic track was recorded 14th & 15th Oct. '67, with an instrumental section edited out of the 20/20 version.

So, I'm reading into that; that this version was a Wild Honey version and not a 20/20 one and was not tinkered with for Hawthorne, CA

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2006, 04:09:11 AM »

This is better to my ears than the 20/20 version, I love it! Carls voice is like honey and Brians lead on the chorus is stunning, when I first heard this I almost felt physically sick at how sweet it was!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 08:12:06 PM »

The mix was done specifically for the Hawthorne set. At least two generation of tapes were synced to create the multi-track we used.

Mark Linett
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2006, 01:23:07 AM »

Good work! love the fade out with the accapella harmonies  Smiley

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2006, 02:26:31 AM »

The mix was done specifically for the Hawthorne set. At least two generation of tapes were synced to create the multi-track we used.

Mark Linett

Thanks for answering my query. I love this mix as it has the horn break from the redwood version (shame they left this for 20/20) , and the beautiful BB  harmonies too.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2006, 07:07:33 AM »

This is better to my ears than the 20/20 version, I love it! Carls voice is like honey and Brians lead on the chorus is stunning

I agree. I usually put the Hawthorne instead of the 20/20 version on the mix-CDs I make. Only downside is that I miss the "DEEP and WIDE" on that version. The lead vocals of the Hawthorne CA version combined with the "DEEP and WIDE" of the 20/20 version would make the ultimate version of Time To Get Alone.
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 01:30:33 PM »

Mark Linett
An awesome version and mix. Clearly my favorite version of the song.

Is the instrumental track the same performance/recording  that was used for the Redwood version?
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 01:36:43 PM »

Yes - the Beach Boys' version of TIME TO GET ALONE uses the same backing track that was originally recorded for Redwood.  Portions of Danny Hutton's lead vocal are still on one of the BB multitrack tapes for the song.

Alan
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006, 09:35:12 PM »

Yes - the Beach Boys' version of TIME TO GET ALONE uses the same backing track that was originally recorded for Redwood.  Portions of Danny Hutton's lead vocal are still on one of the BB multitrack tapes for the song.

Alan
By "uses the same backing track" as the one for Redwood, are you referring to what Stephen Desper has said...that the Beach Boys' version was produced by Carl, who produced replacement tracks (using the original as a guide) exactly the same way of the original production by Brian? In other words, Carl added the same parts to the opened tracks using the previously recorded tracks as guides, then erased the original tracks to make room for Beach Boy vocals.  Thanks.
XY
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 10:56:54 PM »

I think Carl started to re-record TTGA from scratch after the 20/20 album was mastered and ready for pressing. There was no way this new version could have been included on the album, it was too late. Maybe the idea was to release it on a single. You know, the hit single version like "Help Me, Rhonda" & "Cotton Fields".
I understood Steve Desper's post like that: Since the backing track was recorded for Redwood (different record label), the BB theoretically couldn't use it on a BB record because of legal problems. So they had to do a phantom-session and re-record the thing. Of course, they didn't spend money for nothing and used the same backing track. So it was just on paper. That said, Brian used backing tracks from outside productions for the BB before, so...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx