gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:38:51 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: *snicker*  (Read 4382 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2006, 07:32:42 PM »

Saw this review of the Mike & Bruce show, and I cannot stop laughing. This article was obviously written by a feeb who has no idea of ,well, ANYTHING about the Beach Boys. I bolded some of the more jarring statements.

http://www.idsnews.com/news/story.php?id=38801&adid=arts
After belting out about 15 songs, original Beach Boy Mike Love took a break from singing, wiped his brow and asked the audience, "Did anyone know there was a time where there were no Beach Boys songs on the radio?"

From the crowd's reaction Saturday night at the IU Auditorium, the answer was no.

Pop hits like "Barbara Ann," "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" made for a calm and carefree atmosphere that left audience members clapping, tapping and singing along. Some students and older members of the crowd even wore flowered shirts and leis.

After 2003 IU alumnus Ryan Ahlwardt and his band, The Ryan Ahlwardt Trio, opened the show, the legends stepped out on stage, guided by dim lights, and those in the crowd went wild with shrieks. Dressed in their signature Hawaiian shirts, the Beach Boys opened the concert with a slew of seven back-to-back hit songs like "Surfin' Safari," "Do You Wanna Dance?" and "Catch a Wave."

Love, co-author with Brian Wilson of "I Get Around" and "California Girls," took lead vocals, while Bruce Johnston jammed on the keyboard. Drummer Mike Kowalski, Love and Johnston are three members that have toured with the band since the '60s.  The other five current members joined the band after the deaths of Carl and Dennis Wilson and the departures of Glenn Campbell and Brian Wilson.

The original lineup might have changed, but the Beach Boys' core sound has not. The same signature harmonies of the original Beach Boys, though sounding a little different, are still there. During the concert, the Beach Boys would take a break from regular songs and sing a cappella versions of "Their Hearts Are Full of Spring" and a cover of Frankie Lymon's "Why Do Fools Fall in Love?"

The Beach Boys did not forget it was homecoming weekend at IU. After about 10 songs, the crowd was riled up when IU football coach Terry Hoeppner and the IU cheerleading squad rushed on stage to the tune of Roy Orbison's "Pretty Woman." They began dancing a high-energy routine to the Beach Boys' smash hit "Be True to Your School." Audience members jumped to their feet and clapped along with the surprise performers.

An American flag, which descended from the rafters, set the tone for the song "Surfin' USA." During "California Girls," the Boys changed the chorus to "Indiana Girls" at the end of the song.

Having played more than 30 songs, the Boys came out with the IU cheerleaders to a standing ovation for an encore of "Kokomo" and "Fun, Fun, Fun." The Beach Boys also dedicated the slow-tempo single "Surfer Girl" to all the ladies in the crowd, at which point audience members raised their cell phones like lighters.

Showing his sense of humor, Love did a doo-wop impersonation of "N'Stink," which he described as being "closer to hip replacement than hip-hop." Love also explained what a "45" was to the younger audience members who have never listened to records.

IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said only about 25 percent of the about 2,300 audience members were students, while the rest were faculty, parents, Bloomington residents and baby boomers.

IU senior Emma Smith and sophomore Katie Crichfield both agreed that seeing legends like the Beach Boys live made it worth coming out on a Saturday night.

"I'm a Beach Boys fan and have been for a while," said Bloomington resident Phillip Etheridge, whose mobile phone rang with a Beach Boys ringtone mid-interview. "I first saw them back in 1978 at the Kentucky State Fair. The songs just bring back memories."

1. Yes...when I think of "God Only Knows", "calm" and "carefree" are the first two feelings I feel.  Roll Eyes

2. Did you know that Mike Love has toured with the band since the 60s? I guess him being an ORIGINAL MEMBER would have something to do with it, no? Apparently, so did Mike Kowalski, which is odd because I could've sworn he didn't play with the band until 1971, but I could be wrong.

3. Hmm... BRUCE replaced Glen Campbell. According to this lamer, the faceless guys with Mike & Bruce were replacements for the Wilsons and that long-time bandmember Glen Campbell.  LOL

4. Gee...I wonder WHY they'd sound different, considering that only Mike & Bruce are actually Beach Boys, and they're in their 60s. Hmm..."a little" different?!

5. Not even going there about N*Sync, aside from the fact that they broke up, I dunno, however many years ago- I think it was 3. Whenever it was that Justin Timberlake went solo. Anyway, I'm normally a Mike defender, but c'mon. That's like Chamillionaire challenging Kool Mo Dee to a battle rap. And whomever knows why that would be funny gets a cookie.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 07:34:08 PM by McKitty Burger » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 08:16:02 PM »

Mike really needs some new stage banter...he's been using that N*Stink thing, and pretty much every other line I see quoted in reviews, for several years now. 

I think I'm gonna go listen to that carefree "God Only Knows" tune now  Grin
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 09:28:18 PM »

Kowalski was a sideman/percussionist on the BB's Euro '68 tour.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2006, 04:22:43 AM »

Why so snide about it, Billy?  Not everybody knows as much as we do.  From that review, i'd say that people had a good time - and that's the important thing.  They walked away from a BB experience feeling good about it.  'Nuff said.

And...GOK can absolutely leave people feeling calm and carefree.  Why not?

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2006, 05:02:39 AM »

Why so snide about it, Billy? 

Because people should get their facts straight before they publish articles.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2006, 06:06:27 AM »

All in all, I would say that article is more accurately-worded than Mike's "SMiLE" lawsuit.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 07:00:07 AM »

All in all, I would say that article is more accurately-worded than Mike's "SMiLE" lawsuit.

That I would definitely agree with...that was a pretty fun complaint to read just for all the fact bending. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 07:05:25 AM »

Why so snide about it, Billy? 

Because people should get their facts straight before they publish articles.

Exactly. It bothers me when journalists do not do their research when publishing reviews; I remember in 1998 when Imagination was just coming out...there was a review in the Houston Chronicle that was just, I dunno, lousy. Just for an example, the author  was under the impression that "Let Him Run Wild" was a brand new Wilson/Love composition.  Roll Eyes All Music Guide's review of Holland has Dennis as the lead singer of Only With You.

As for this one, true, not everyone has the knowledge we do. HOWEVER...if you're getting paid a salary to write about something, you'd best actually research your subject first. That'd be like me doing an article on the Yardbirds, and thinking that Clapton, Beck, and Page were in the band at the exact same time. Well, Beck and Page were for a few months, but you get the point.

The "others" in the band were NOT replacements for Dennis or Glen Campbell. Kowalski was the replacement for Dennis (while he was still alive, mind you), and Bruce was the replacement for Campbell.

Roger ...true that.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx