gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:13:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Al in LA 11/01/06  (Read 10176 times)
JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2006, 04:42:43 PM »

The audience did seem to be a little on the older side, but maybe the younger attendees were sitting where the seats were reasonably priced. I had a friend who helped me get a great seat in the front that was kind of expensive. I'm not sure that I would have paid $125 or more for any concert when I was in my twenties.

I did talk to a guy who looked to be in his twenties who actually flew in by himself from Indiana just to see the show. He was all excited to hear PS live and had actually never heard SMiLE! I often wish I could go back to that amazing time when I first heard the 66/67 SMiLE stuff. I remember being so awestruck and excited about music.

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2006, 04:47:46 PM »

Maybe Heywood left his specs at home...I saw a diverse crowd. 40's and 50's? Of course. But there were plenty of 20's and 30's, including myself, without our mommies and daddies.

There may have been some young people there, but I didn't see them. Mostly a sea of middle aged nerds.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2006, 04:57:32 PM »

I definitely would've been there if I had jumped on buying tickets sooner.  When I found out that Al was going to be there, the tickets were sold out.  But I do remember seing Brian at Royce Hall a few years back at the CWF foundation concert, and it was definitely a mix of young and old.  Last September in LA, Brian attracted a mostly family crowd (lots of schoolage kids).
jlaird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2006, 02:09:15 AM »

I'm a broke college student, but i scraped for this show!
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2006, 02:55:01 AM »

Al didn't join until song number 6---but when he did---WOW. Sure, there was all that great emotional resonance for longtime fan obsessives of just seeing him there---that feeling never went away, all night---but most especially, he is singing as well as he EVER did. Stunning, actually

I agree and that was a big highlight for me actually.  It was very inspirational.  I think Alan might actually have a better voice now than he did as a younger man.  His reflexes also seem razor sharp.  He kind of reminds me of Springsteen a bit.  I expected Alan to have a little rust.  It's not like he's been playing a lot of shows lately.  But he comes out there and belts out "And Then I kissed Her" in mid-long-tour form - no problem.  (Like mid-long-tour form for someone who was really good to start with that is.)  I think you are right, it really was stunning.         
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 02:03:27 AM by mikee » Logged
mikee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2006, 03:15:19 AM »

There are some people my age that know about Brian and his music (including PS and BWPS). I was talking with my friend last night (I didnt even know he liked the BB, let alone PS) and he just raved about the album, so that's promising.

Probably since he found out that you liked them.  Of course that's ok -  but ask him something to find out if he really listened to PS.   
Wyndham
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2006, 04:09:43 AM »

Cynical Mikee. I'm a student in England and there's massive enthusiasm for the BBs and particularly Brian Wilson. It's now cool to be a fan. It's never going to have the same following as those who liked the band originally but it's pretty amazing for a band who 'hit their peak' around 40 years ago. See you in London.
SG7
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2006, 03:56:56 PM »

As a response to Heywood Floyd, my first BW show I was the ONLY teenage girl there. I was actually told to shut up in the first intermission  LOL I like you sometimes worry if anyone else besides me and a few others will ever like it. I do think they are out there. There was more when I saw him the 2nd time around and that made me feel better. Thats why passing music down the next gens is so important. So it doesn't die like you said and will jgrow. BW may never get to see it, but I like to think that there will be a serious remergence in the catalog. I have hope because I've had to have hope for everything else  Cheesy
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2006, 04:48:52 PM »

There are some people my age that know about Brian and his music (including PS and BWPS). I was talking with my friend last night (I didnt even know he liked the BB, let alone PS) and he just raved about the album, so that's promising.

Probably since he found out that you liked them.  Of course that's ok -  but ask him something to find out if he really listened to PS.   

He said to me that he really connects with the songs on the album and talked about some like "You Still Believe In Me" and "I'm Waiting For The Day".

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 08:52:31 AM »

It's almost a week since the concert and there are no videos, audio recordings or even pictures up? Did I miss something?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »

Strange that their are no fan pictures at least. Also nothing on BWs site or Als.

However it does show the level of mainstream media (TV) interest of Al and Brian reuniting...Zip!

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2006, 01:49:25 PM »

Strange that their are no fan pictures at least. Also nothing on BWs site or Als.

However it does show the level of mainstream media (TV) interest of Al and Brian reuniting...Zip!

There has been a lot of media intrest...it was on E!  Shocked...But no god dahm pictures...can't belive it.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2006, 03:08:04 PM »

...it was on E! 

As I said...It shows the level of interest. LOL
XY
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2006, 09:45:43 PM »

There's a short clip on YouTube with a picture of Brian on stage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7erltP_xc18

and backstage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWLB7ZNFIE

that's all!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2006, 10:32:14 PM »

I wish he would come to Texas.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Third Coast
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2006, 03:37:43 PM »

Man, me, too. What part of Texas are you in?

And don't worry too much about demographic effects on the Beach Boys' legacy, folks. We geezers -- you know, people in their 40s and 50s  Roll Eyes -- aren't ready to drop quite yet.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx