gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680719 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 04:14:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian and Al in LA 11/01/06  (Read 10285 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »

From the PSML:

Almost forgot what a joy this band can be when its running on all cylinders, which it was by the time it got to "Add Some Music to Your Day" (first three songs very shaky, partic. Brian) Al didn't join until song number 6---but when he did---WOW. Sure, there was all that great emotional resonance for longtime fan obsessives of just seeing him there---that feeling never went away, all night---but most especially, he is singing as well as he EVER did. Stunning, actually. Some other notes before the set list: "MArcella" rocked way harder than ever before; the opening of "Cali Girls," a song I usually zone out during from overexposure, was luminous and perfect and solid--what a beautiful piece of music, buried thru repetition; they sang the superior BBs single lyrics of "GV" rather than the SMILE ones; and while in many ways it seemed a sign of graciousess above and beyond the call that Al got as much vocal play as he did, it would have been better if he'd had even MORE; he should particularly have spelled the Big Man on "Sail on Sailor" and "marcella" and "I Know There's an Answer".....
 During "Let's Go Away...." Al walked over to Brian and the two of them back turned to the audience were doing this incredibly endearing fannish geek out of a sort I've done while trying to make people REALLY FOCUS on Brian's music---these great lunging and rising hand gestures accompanying what the movement of the music was doing---but it was for THEIR OWN benefit, not ours, they weren't even facing us, just talking and communicating to each other the glories of the composition---twas very sweet---and when AL introed "Come Go With Me" with a rap about how this is the sort of thing they used to do around the piano so many years ago, and the wonderful life he's had thanks to Brian and his brothers..."and cousin..." I was awe-shucked by the graciousness of it all.....
 The Set---order probably off around the middle of the first set, but I think this is all the songs:
 Surfer Girl/Drive In/Please Let Me Wonder/Add Some Music..../You're Welcome/Then She Kissed Me (Al lead)/Breakaway/Dance Dance Dance/In My Room/California (Al Lead)/Do It Again/I Get Around/California Girls/Do You Wanna Dance?/Come Go With me (al lead)/Sail ON Sailor/Marcella/Good Vibrations
 ALL OF PET SOUNDS/Johnny B. Goode/Help Me Rhonda (Al lead)/Surfin USA/Barbara Ann/Fun Fun Fun/Love and Mercy

A Beach Boys reunion that sounds amazing is more than possible. Just throw Mike and Bruce into this band, there you go. Get over the egos, boys, and get over the "it won't sound good anymore", brianistas---this band can't HELP but sound good and if it has the vocal resources to cover Brian's current weaknesses, it sure can do the same for any Mike or Bruce might have...(Al for his part has none....)

brian Doherty

I forgot in my earlier set list: "When I Grow Up To be A Man," in the second half of the first set.

Also: Al seemed a bit of an equipment fussbudget, in almost every song making some gesture toward his ears or guitar or amp for the benefit of some offstage tech or fiddling with same. He played a fair amount of guitar, and wore it well even on numbers where he didn't play it much.

Brian did the row your boat and lighter count thing....

Did I stress how great it was seeing and hearing Al Jardine? Well, it was....

Brian Doherty

Did people used to wonder if Brian's keyboard is plugged in? It sure is, which I noticed when at the climax one one number---I think maybe "Rhonda" tho i might be wrong--he hit three-beat completely off chord that was totally audible...

In terms of Brian vocals, this show was a bit of a fallback to pre-SMILE tour in his phrasing and ability to hold tones, but that will probably improve as the tour continues, and certainly did as the night went on.

Brian Doherty

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 09:40:49 AM »

I was there, and I can tell you that Brian's voice sounded great. Even on the last high note of Caroline No, he really pulled it off and it sounded great. I wasn't expecting much from Brian's voice, but he really still has it.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 10:19:34 AM »

Great review! This makes me even more pumped to see Brian and Al live for the first time! Who sung lead on "You Still Believe In Me"? Did Al sing lead since he did when he was with the boys? Sounds like a nice setlist too, looking forward to hearing "Sail On Sailor" and "Marcella" live and Breakaway! ............end of fanboy rant.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 10:20:38 AM by Don't Back Down » Logged

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 12:17:41 PM »

From the BW site.

Brian Wilson at Royce Hall 1/11/2006

(posted by Peter Simpson on November 2, 2006 at 12:39 pm)

“Would that be with soy or skim milk sir?” asked the barista making my latte - a sure sign I was back in LA for the briefest of “adsettian” visits as part of a wider holiday. Just long enough to sample the delights of Amoeba and “going out of business” Tower records, the descriptive “In ‘n’ out Burger” chain and an all day bus pass covering the whole of LA for only 3 dollars (what a deal - and no parking problems!!!!)

Oh, and of course there was a Brian Wilson concert at UCLA where I was staying on campus at the Guest House (another great find). (I was offerred a free ticket for “Borat” being premiered in Westwood the same night but decided to pass!!)

During the afternoon I saw Nelson and Bob heading to the sound check. Nelson said his album should be out in a couple of weeks time. (I said Hi for you Janine!!! but I still think he needs a haircut)

Before the show I met Linda Sigmon for the first time - a lovely lady and provider of my great ticket for the show. I also met up with Art Bailey again - a veteran of last years shows in the North West and California. Phil Rotella arranged a meet up at an Italian Restauarnt in Westwood, just south of UCLA which was really nice and filled with the warmth and friendship that seems to exist naturally among Brian fans. It was good to meet crazy Jack G (watch out London!) and Lina and Rory again and to meet Jack’s friend, Dan, Phil’s pal Ron and nice guy Joe Sedemeyer

Royce Hall is a magnificent building right in the middle of the Campus. You’d never know that Brian had a concert scheduled there since there were no posters outside (or indeed anything to show that it was a concert hall). Inside it’s a little like Birmingham Symphony Hall but with a lot less wood and much more ornate

Merchandise for sale was limited to “that” doll - signed or unsigned or a 40th Anniversary T shirt limited edition - a bit steep at 40 dollars - I passed on both although there seemed to be a brisk trade

Scritti Pollitti performed a pleasant enough set - the band seemed pretty young and there were signs of nervousness, no old material from “Cupid and Psyche” - just the later stuff

In the interval I met Melinda who said she was coming to London.

Time for the show. - Apologies in advance that I didn’t make a set list. It started with a short Unplugged session, including “Surfer Girl” , “Drive In” and “Please Let Me Wonder”. Then - as the band played “You’re Welcome” and took up their positions, Al Jardine joined them on stage (and stayed for the whole show). Songs in the first set included “Dance, Dance,Dance”, “Do you Wanna Dance” ‘Breakaway” :” California Saga:California” “Do It Again” and ”Come Go With Me” The set ended with “Sail On Sailor” “Marcella” and “GV” - the only SMiLE track of the evening.

Al was in fine voice, sounding just like he does on the records. Brian was in good voice too - hitting all the notes, He seemed a little serious at times, but soon loosened up. I thought he’d lost a little bit of weight too from the last time I saw him - he looked trim. He was wearing a purple cowboy type shirt and dark slacks -He used his endearing characteristic arm guestures throughout the show. The band was the classic line up (including Darian) with the addition of Gary Griffin from time to time on keyboards and accordian

There was a 10 minute break to rearrange things and then they performed “Pet Sounds” “You still believe in me” was a particular highlight, very tender and awash with harmonies - having an additional singer on stage seemed to me to make quite a difference throughout the show - The whole album was expertly performed and it seemed the band were well rehearsed. Al and Brian had a chat during “Let’s go away for a while” . “God only Knows” received a standing ovation. Nelson and Jim went crazy on “Pet Sounds” as expected. "Caroline No" brought this part of the show to a gentle end and Brian left the stage to another standing ovation while the band completed their instrumental parts at the end of the song

The sound seemed pretty good thoughout - a relief after the rather bass heavy support act sound quality.

Jeff introduced the band (including Al) and then everyone was on their feet for the encores which comprised “Johnny B Goode” “Surfin’ USA” “Barbara Ann” “Fun Fun Fun” “Help Me Rhonda” and “Love and Mercy. I think Al missed his cue in “Help me Rhonda’” and got a look from Brian as if to say “well...come on then” - Al spoke to the crowd probably as much as Brian did - introducing “California Saga” for example

It was about a two hour show (including the 10 minute break) Al was signing autographs at the front of the stage after the show.

It was a thouroughly excelllent show - I couldn’t have wished for anything better and everyone I spoke too seemed to agree

Eventually I’ll post some of the photos I took before the show (there are a couple of Royce Hall itself in Blueboardpix13, but right now I have to get a few hours sleep before getting up early to fly to the NorthWest where I’ll see my other favourite band, Dolorean, playing in Portland on Saturday before returning home next week - I’m sure I’ve got something on there the following Sunday...........

Pete - sigining out!

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2006, 12:25:03 PM »

Also from the BW site   
  Brian's Royce Hall Set List

(posted by Curt Lambert on November 2, 2006 at 8:26 am)

Here is the set list from an absolutely fantastic concert.

Un-plugged Set:

Surfer Girl
Drive In
Please Let Me Wonder
Add Some Music To Your Day
You're Welcome(as they moved in shifts to their positions)

Al's entry

Electric Set

Then I Kissed Her
When I Grow Up To Be A Man
Break Away
Do It Again
Dance,Dance,Dance
In My Room
Do You Wanna Dance
California Saga
I Get Around
Row,Row,Row Your Boat
Come Go With Me
California Girls
Sail On Sailor
Marcella
Help Me Rhonda(Al lead)
Good Vibrations

10 Min Break

Pet Sounds(Awesome! Long Standing O after GOK)

Encore(Intros)

Johnny B Good
Surfin USA
Barbara Ann
Fun,Fun,Fun

Love and Mercy

Here's a review I sent my two brothers last night when I got home. The three of us are crazy for the Wilson brothers and their music. Sorry it makes this a long post.

"Dudes - Just got in from Brian Wilson's concert. Just incredible!! There was some Brit group for an opening act - played about 30 minutes. Twenty minute break and then the lights came up on Brian and his band sitting, standing in a half circle or so, down right stage. They only used two guitars and a bongo type drum- the un-plugged set. Opened with Surfer Girl, Drive In, Please Let me Wonder, Add Some Music To Your Day. Then sang Your Welcome as they moved in shifts to their places on stage and instruments. And as they did this Al Jardine came on stage and Brian introduced him as, "Hey, it's a Beach Boy! Al Jardine, ladies and gentlemen - a Beach Boy!"

Then came: And Then I Kissed Her(Al lead), When I Grow Up To Be a Man, Break Away(so great), Do It Again(rockin'), Come Go With Me(Brian very cool and having fun on the "you never give me a chance(s) part-Al lead), Dance,Dance,Dance(fantastic), In my Room, California Saga(Californ-i-aye) [Brian sang a lot of the lead on this one - Al introduced it], Do You Wanna Dance, I Get Around, California Girls, Sail On Sailor, Marcella(rocknroll!), Help Me Rhonda(Brian cued Al in on the start-Al sounded great), and Good Vibrations(this so rocked). Then a 10 minute intermission and then Pet Sounds in it's entirety. Brian was awesome on this as was the band(vocally and musically). Brian sounded really incredible on You Still Believe in Me, That's Not Me, I'm Waiting For the Day, God Only Knows, Here Today. Sloop John B was great and Al took the 3rd verse lead. Al and Brian sang the acapella harmony in the middle alone and it was so Beach Boy cool!! On Caroline No Brian was incredible. He sounded like he was in his twenties again. He used a kinda head voice I guess and it sounded great. Really young and vulnerable sounding. The falsetto Noooo at the end was cool. Just incredible sounds for Pet Sounds. The harmonies on Wouldn't It Be Nice blew me a way. All the songs were right on. Brian's voice tired a bit on a couple here, but he bounced back. Instrumentals were great. During Let's Go Away For Awhile Brian with back to audience kinda conducted. Al came over, put his arm around Brian and they were talking to each other. Then Al and Brian conducted together - having fun. Brian was animated about the players to Al. Very cool moments.
Then Brian left as the band played out the end of Caroline No and the train and dogs came in right on cue. Then an encore of Johnny B Good, Surfin USA, Barbara Ann, and closed with Fun, Fun, Fun. Brian played base on Barbara Ann. He was having such a good time the whole concert. Very animated. Then He left during the high horse wails at the end of Fun,Fun,Fun. Band closed and left and then Brian came back on, then the band and he sang a great version of Love and Mercy. Really sounded great on that. Then they all held hands in a line(Brian and Al together) and some bows. And it was over. Great concert!!

So 25 (26 w/Row Your Boat)songs plus Pet Sounds. Surf was up!! Brian tinkled on his piano inbetween some songs. Led an audience Row,Row Your Boat and did the cigarette lighter joke(12). I wish or hope they had or do film and record this tour as it is a great song line up and he and the band are really on. Al is a nice add.
There's your report from LA.
Curt"

JScott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 12:25:38 PM »

Edit
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 05:12:18 PM by JScott » Logged

“Hey, I don’t know the answer to life. I just know that when enough voices combine with the right melody, you’ve got the sound of heaven.”
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006, 12:35:10 PM »

Reading this makes me wishing even more I was at the show. Heck, one time listening to Brian's band doing "California" would be awesome !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2006, 12:35:49 PM »

including Darian

Oh. I thought "inside scoop" had him fired from the band.

HAR HAR!

Awesome, I'm so glad they were great shows. You'd figure they would be.

Now: BROADER TOUR.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2006, 12:53:17 PM »

God, why cant they come to Florida!

DAMN YOU JEB BUSH!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2006, 01:13:28 PM »

Was it filmed for DVD release?

Sounds FANTASTIC!
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 01:51:02 PM »

including Darian

That was never the "inside scoop"...  where the foda did you get that from?  Certainly not an insider....

It's pretty well known that he landed a sweet deal with Disney (scoring the theme song for their new hit show The Replacements etc) and that is going to become a hinderence to his participation in the BWBand.  He will not (as far as I know) be on any of the other dates.

I have NEVER heard ANYONE claim that he was fired until I read this post.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:08:51 PM »

It was a great show.  What more can be said?  Most touching moment for me?  Watching Carl's son Justyn start the standing ovation for Al when he first entered the stage.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
SG7
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »

The whole fired bit started on the PS mailing list and then the blueboard somewhere and then spread like wildfire for a bit. Short lived rumor because BW (or Melinda on what coin you flip) came on and denounced anyone got an ax.
XY
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 11:12:36 PM »

what the press has to say about the LA gig:

Wilson revives "Pet Sounds" in stunning LA gig
By Erik Pedersen

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - Let's not dally: There simply aren't enough superlatives to describe Brian Wilson's performance Wednesday night at Royce Hall.

Sure, his ace band and singular repertoire -- including a beautiful run-through of "Pet Sounds," being celebrated with a 40th anniversary reissue by Capitol -- were a major part of the show's success. But they played supporting roles; it was Wilson's singing that made this night unforgettable: confident, unhesitant and, most notably, solo.

Gone were the tentative, almost meek vocals he offered just a few years ago. Instead, Wilson boldly supplied the bulk of the lead singing, never needing to fall back on his cohorts. He read lyrics from a video screen, and there was the occasional vocal fumble, but nothing egregious. And any missteps were quickly forgotten -- and forgiven.

It all started with the collective huddled together as if around a beach campfire on a summer night. Accompanied only by bongos and an acoustic guitar, they offered a handful of Beach Boys songs both classic ("Surfer Girl") and obscure ("You're Welcome"). As the party broke up and the players manned their stations, a figure strolled onstage unintroduced but recognized with a loud cheer.

"Al Jardine of the Beach Boys!" Wilson eventually shouted, twice. And the two shared the stage for the first time in ages.

But Jardine's appearance wasn't the biggest news of this two-hour, 38-song show, which visited at least 15 Beach Boys albums dating back to 1963. It was Wilson's stunning renaissance as a frontman. Sporting an untucked purple Western shirt, he sang with a clarity and purpose most thought were decades behind him. And amid oddly endearing gestures and movements, his stage patter was unforced, funny, even charming.

The band juxtaposed some of pop music's all-timers ("California Girls," "In My Room," "Good Vibrations") with nearly forgotten Beach Boys gems ("Break Away" and the fiercely rocking highlight "Marcella"). After playing an hour of the Fab Five's songs (Wilson eschewed his spotty solo career, save for neo-traditional show closer "Love and Mercy"), the group took a short break and returned to perform "Pet Sounds."

One of rock's landmarks, the 1966 album nodded to Wilson's earliest inspirations (Phil Spector, folky '50s vocal groups, with dollops of doo-wop) while pushing mid-'60s rock boundaries with magical songwriting, clever changes and a slew of nonrock instruments.

But this was more than a mere recital; master of melody Wilson and his stellar 11-piece band somehow improved on the record, adding a flourish here and a little extension there. He provided jaw-dropping solo vocal moments, carrying almost the entire album. After fairly drilling "God Only Knows," which Wilson called "my most prized achievement in songwriting," he was visibly moved by the spontaneous standing ovation. And there was no shortage of broad smiles in the audience all night.

Here's hoping that one of the stops on this six-city tour, which began Wednesday, is recorded for posterity. It's legacy time for Brian Wilson -- again.

Reuters/Hollywood Reporter
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2006, 04:14:47 AM »

Great, thanks Jasper! Are there any pics?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 05:35:54 AM »

Who sang lead on Wouldn't It Be Nice?

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Old Rake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 07:17:54 AM »

including Darian

That was never the "inside scoop"...  where the foda did you get that from?  Certainly not an insider....

It's pretty well known that he landed a sweet deal with Disney (scoring the theme song for their new hit show The Replacements etc) and that is going to become a hinderence to his participation in the BWBand.  He will not (as far as I know) be on any of the other dates.

I have NEVER heard ANYONE claim that he was fired until I read this post.

You musta missed that whole flap. Yeah, I knew all along he wasn't fired, I was being smug at some of the folks who insisted up and down that he'd been "canned" by "Melinda" for certain unnamed offenses.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006, 01:53:37 PM »

Brian on Wouldn't it be nice.  Al took second verse of Sloop, they shared third verse of Sloop; Al on his original recorded lead on I know There's An Answer. Brian on everything else. 

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2006, 04:16:06 PM »

My only disappointment was that the whole audience was made up of people in their late 40's and mid 50's. The only other young folk I saw their, were kids with their parents. I thought more people in their 20's and 30's would be interested in seeing Pet Sounds performed live. It scares me to think that the fans of this music could just die and fade away if new people don't discover this music. It would definitely limit the amount of new material we could get from the vaults if the audience keeps shrinking.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2006, 04:19:45 PM »

Oh, I just wanted to add that the band was INCREDIBLE. A Wall of Sound blasting off the stage. This made we think, what the hell went on with the recording of  Brian Wilson Presents Pet Sounds Live, from a few years ago. Maybe it was mixed wrong, but the music on that live album is so flat and spare. What I saw and heard on November 1, was like being right in the studio with the wrecking crew. It was amazing how they recreated the Wall of Sound. So pretty much I WANT A NEW LIVE RECORDING of Pet Sounds!

Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »

My only disappointment was that the whole audience was made up of people in their late 40's and mid 50's. The only other young folk I saw their, were kids with their parents. I thought more people in their 20's and 30's would be interested in seeing Pet Sounds performed live. It scares me to think that the fans of this music could just die and fade away if new people don't discover this music. It would definitely limit the amount of new material we could get from the vaults if the audience keeps shrinking.

Im in my late teens and am seeing Brian and Al at the DC show. I have given "Pet Sounds" as presents to some of my friends (and they liked it). I even let someone borrow "BWPS" and he liked it. There are some people my age that know about Brian and his music (including PS and BWPS). I was talking with my friend last night (I didnt even know he liked the BB, let alone PS) and he just raved about the album, so that's promising.

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2006, 08:55:03 AM »

When I went to his solo 'Pet Sounds' and 'Smile' shows, there were a lot of 20s and 30s people, including myself.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2006, 11:18:27 AM »

The SMiLE show I went to had a bunch of people in their early 20s, including several obvious (fellow) pot heads.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2006, 12:55:06 PM »

Maybe the ticket prices had something to do with it.  LA has become a very expensive city, and most young people don't have the extra cash.  Or at least aren't motivated to spend as much money on tickets as people old enough to have memories of when the Beach Boys were popular.  They did have a ticket discount for UCLA students, but perhaps UCLA students aren't into Brian Wilson.

Glad to hear it went so well.  Brian does seem to give very good, relaxed performances in his hometown.  Maybe Al motivated him to kick it up a notch, as well.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2006, 02:38:05 PM »

Maybe Heywood left his specs at home...I saw a diverse crowd. 40's and 50's? Of course. But there were plenty of 20's and 30's, including myself, without our mommies and daddies.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx