gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 02:04:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Love joins Mike & Bruce's Endless Sounds of Summer Travelling Jukebox  (Read 13409 times)
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »

Just heard about this.  One report says he's replacing Totten, the other says he's replacing Kirsch.  What's the poop?

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jason
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006, 07:41:44 PM »

Christian Love has joined the band, but why would Chris Farmer (musical director) need a replacement for either Totten or Kirsch? Both men do their jobs very well.

And if you heard Mike and Bruce's UK setlists in late 2004, you wouldn't be calling them the Endless Sounds of Summer Travelling Jukebox. I personally would call them The Mike and Bruce More Daring Than Brian Wilson Has Been Live In Years Band.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 08:46:21 PM »

Christian Love has joined the band, but why would Chris Farmer (musical director) need a replacement for either Totten or Kirsch? Both men do their jobs very well.

And if you heard Mike and Bruce's UK setlists in late 2004, you wouldn't be calling them the Endless Sounds of Summer Travelling Jukebox. I personally would call them The Mike and Bruce More Daring Than Brian Wilson Has Been Live In Years Band.

Yeah really. I mean, what was Brian's setlist like in 2004 and 2005? Just that tired old "Smile" album that we had heard for year after year, that every two-bit cover band can easily pull off live, right?  Huh

C'mon,  let's keep everything in perspective. The Mike/Bruce setlists certainly have been more adventurous and interesting in the last few years as compared to the late 90's for instance. (My humble opinion based on nothing but my own gut feeling is that part of the motivation behind Mike/Bruce spicing up the setlist has been the early attempts by Al to do so with his own band, attempts which by 2000 were no longer possible, and Brian's continued setlist diversity). But Brian's setlists have been quite interesting as well, even aside from the "Smile" sets. Sure, we get "Love and Mercy" every time, and we usually get stuff like "Surfer Girl", "Please Let Me Wonder", a few "Pet Sounds" tracks, and a handfull of other workhorses that you would hear at a Mike or Al show as well. But Brian in 2004 and 2005 has worked in songs like "Marcella", "When I Grow Up", "Good Timin'", and the list goes on and on. Sure, his 2005 setlist didn't vary a great deal from the 2004 setlist, but that hardly leaves room to crown the Mike/Bruce band as all of a sudden having a more "daring" setlist than Brian. And as for the handfull of 2006 Brian shows, you see the same problem that has occured with Al in recent years. That is, it is hard to work up a dymanic setlist that differs a great deal from the setlists of the recent past when you're not regularly touring and are only throwing together the band for a gig here or there once in awhile.

But wow, I have to give credit for being bold enough to suggest that the Mike/Bruce setlists are more "daring" than doing "Smile" live. I don't agree with this, and I haven't a clue how one could arrive at this conclusion other than the possibility that Brian is somehow expected to work up a new long-lost never-before-heard live album performance on every one of his tours.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:53:20 PM »

What was so daring about Brian Wilson playing Smile live? Someone explain THAT one to me.

Don't bother preaching to me, I don't care what anyone thinks anyway.

EDIT - If Brian performs Love You live, then and only then will I rethink my post. Until then, no dice.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 08:57:35 PM by Jason » Logged
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:22:55 PM »

Just heard about this.  One report says he's replacing Totten, the other says he's replacing Kirsch.  What's the poop?
I sure hope he's replacing neither.  He was at many of the summer shows, and while he did a fair to good job on his leads, he doesn't really seem to measure up to the others.  I saw him at two consecutive shows, and on the second night, he did the lead on "Good Vibrations".  Both nights he did the lead on "Getcha Back".  He was definitely a nice addition, as was John Stamos (who sang a decent lead on "Good Timin"), but either of those guys are just that: good additions, not good replacements.

::EDIT::

Just saw on the BBB Board that Bruce has confirmed that Christian is an addition, not a replacement...no one has been fired.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 09:25:03 PM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
RickD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:32:42 PM »

What was so daring about Brian Wilson playing Smile live? Someone explain THAT one to me.

I thought that was explained pretty well in the doco (unless you believe the "that was all a crock" line of thinking, which means David Leaf, Van Dyke Parks, Darian, Foskett, the rest of the band and a bunch of others were all full of it). 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:07:16 PM »

EDIT - If Brian performs Love You live, then and only then will I rethink my post. Until then, no dice.

Okay, even though you "don't care what anyone thinks anyway", I'll bite one more time for the fun of it and ask you this: What is "daring" (keeping in mind that you introduced the word "daring" to describe the Mike/Bruce show) about the Mike/Bruce setlist/show, and how is it more "daring" than anything Brian Wilson has done live? John Stamos singing "Good Timin'" or Mike singing "Bluebirds Over the Mountain" is more "daring" than attempting the entire "Smile" album in concert?

Of course, I'll understand completely if you don't want to talk anymore about this considering that you "don't care what anyone thinks anyway" and probably wouldn't care to waste time discussing this. Of course, if you don't care what anyone thinks, I'm sort of perplexed as to why you're here at all. I do care what you and other fans think insofar as discussion on this board is concerned. I'm not sure what other purpose one would have for posting here.

Apologies to those who are smart enough to not be baited by "Smile-what's the big deal?" type of comments. I'm just making one more attempt at discussion in case such a thing is really possible in this particular case. As much as I do care what others think when it comes to generating discussion here, there is no explanation for someone actually being serious in questioning what is more daring about performing "Smile" live versus Scott Totten and Chris Farmer covering Beach Boys songs that would make me want to invest anymore time in discussing this.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 02:44:02 AM »

Re(2): Christian Love ?
Posted on October 25, 2006 at 08:35:35 PM by Bruce Johnston

'Word' regarding Scott is incorrect!! No one has been 'axed.'

Bruce Johnston
Montecito
October 25, 2006

http://b5.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?action=read&id=1161801335&user=Bellagio

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:34:20 AM »

Wow, look at the firestorm I kicked off.

Smile was not the "big leap forward" for Brian Wilson. Bringing out Heroes and Villains was the first. Then came Surf's Up, Prayer, Cabinessence, and Wonderful. Smile was eased out of him. It was inevitable. I wasn't "shocked" when I heard the news that BW would be playing Smile live. It was bound to happen, and Brian alluded to it so many times.

Brian built his live career on being more than just the hits. The Beach Boys since 2004 have begun building their live career on more than just the hits. It was EXPECTED of Brian to do more. The Beach Boys? Doing album tracks in their setlists? Who would have thought about that after Endless Summer. Therefore, The Beach Boys took the greater of the leaps, in my opinion.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 11:38:42 AM »

When someone says that 'they don't care what anyone thinks', they're basically yelling 'I really do care, so make sure you pay attention to me'...its the oldest trick in the book!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 11:48:27 AM »

The Beach Boys? Doing album tracks in their setlists? Who would have thought about that after Endless Summer. Therefore, The Beach Boys took the greater of the leaps, in my opinion.

Of course it could be argued that they were... I'm not sure if pressured is the right word... but inspired to do so after seeing the overwhealming reaction to such songs in Brian's and Al's setlists over the years.

and yes I have heard a copy of a 2004 concert, yes they played songs that I wouldn't have expected, however I still cannot bring myself to call them The Beach Boys, so they'll still be Mike and Bruce's Endless Sounds of Summer Travelling Jukebox Band in my mind   Smiley

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jason
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:51:28 AM »

Joe, this is the part where you tell Malicki that he's a tool. Smiley

KIDDING.

You can call Mike and Bruce whatever you want. I call them more daring than Brian Wilson. Deal with it.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006, 11:55:53 AM »

Jason just takes it personally because he plays the Kazoo and back up vocals #4 for Mike and Bruce's band.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Jason
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:54 PM »

Jason just takes it personally because he plays the Kazoo and back up vocals #4 for Mike and Bruce's band.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
theCOD
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2006, 12:57:06 PM »

You can call Mike and Bruce whatever you want. I call them more daring than Brian Wilson. Deal with it.

LOL

I'm different!  Look at me being different!  I don't care what you think!  Deal with it!  Deal with it!  Are you dealing with it?  Good!  I'm glad you're dealing with it!  What's your screen name?  Wanna chat?  Please?
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2006, 01:00:43 PM »

Isn't it funny police how almost any innocent thread can turn into a Brian vs. Mike battle of words of some kind?

Anyway, I do get tired of people referring to Mike's Beach Boys as a travelling jukebox, which has been going on for about 30 years now. If being a travelling jukebox means playing mostly the hits (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), and performing the songs by being true to the recorded versions (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), and by avoiding most of the obscure songs (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), then Mike is guilty as charged!

It is so simple and I don't understand why we BB/BW nuts/diehards can't accept it. Mike Love is a proponent of the "give the fans what they want" school of rock and roll performance. Has been and always will be. WE ARE THE MINORITY. We are 1 out of every 100 Beach Boys fans. We are 1% of the people who go to Beach Boys' concerts. Mike plays for the other 99%...
Jim McShane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »

He played "The Night Was So Young" at the House of Blues in Chicago. In the same show he also played "Friends", "Busy Doin' Nothin'", "Melt Away", and "Hang On To Your Ego".
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006, 02:05:06 PM »

It is so simple and I don't understand why we BB/BW nuts/diehards can't accept it. Mike Love is a proponent of the "give the fans what they want" school of rock and roll performance. Has been and always will be. WE ARE THE MINORITY. We are 1 out of every 100 Beach Boys fans. We are 1% of the people who go to Beach Boys' concerts. Mike plays for the other 99%...

You're so right. It's just sad for the real fans. They played since 81 only the hits and they didn't play so much new stuff. But since a few years the setlist is not so bad. The setlists from the late 90ies are so boring. I don't like that the new opener is "Do It Again" (which the band play bad) and not "California Girls" what was a really great opener.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 03:02:29 PM »

Has the Mike and Bruce setlist evolved to what it is today because they (I include their band) wanted to be more adventurous or were they annoyed at the comparisons with Brians setlist? Maybe a bit of both?

I do think Brian's crew setout with the idea of playing more the less-known tunes and a few surf-car hits while Mike continued with the standard BB formula but in the last year or so (PS and BWPS aside), both setlists seem to be merging.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 05:53:41 PM »

Has the Mike and Bruce setlist evolved to what it is today because they (I include their band) wanted to be more adventurous or were they annoyed at the comparisons with Brians setlist? Maybe a bit of both?

Probably a bit of both. But I'll add a third reason. Mike and Bruce's more adventurous setlist eliminates another potential or actual reason for Brian Wilson to not want to play with them.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 06:14:16 PM »

Anyway, I do get tired of people referring to Mike's Beach Boys as a travelling jukebox, which has been going on for about 30 years now. If being a travelling jukebox means playing mostly the hits (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), and performing the songs by being true to the recorded versions (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), and by avoiding most of the obscure songs (which 99% of the fans in attendance want), then Mike is guilty as charged!

I've said on many occasions, and will say again here lest there be any confusion... I have absolutely no problems with Mike and Bruce touring.  I have no problem with their setlist, jukebox or otherwise.  He *is* playing to what 99% of the attendees want to hear, and God bless him for it, for keeping the music alive and in the public consiousness.

What I *DO* have a problem with, is their use of the Beach Boys name.  That's it.  End of story.  I am not a Mike hater or basher.  He's good at what he does.  Yes he's made some poor decisons and is lawsuit happy.  But that doesn't mean he doesn't put on a good show.  My brother saw them this summer (I had to work) and loved it. 

Of course we all know the reason Mike bought/won use of the name, since he did a couple dates as "America's Band featuring Mike Love" and didn't get anywhere near the attendance. 

I just find it sad that The Beach Boys have devolved akin to the Drifters, Platters, Coasters, any number of other oldies bands with one (if any) original members    Sad

And yes Jason, I can be a tool... "deal with it"   *LOL*   j/k  Smiley

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »

how the foda did I manage to get the first topic on all three pages of this thread? 

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Jason
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 07:49:25 PM »

LOL

I'm different!  Look at me being different!  I don't care what you think!  Deal with it!  Deal with it!  Are you dealing with it?  Good!  I'm glad you're dealing with it!  What's your screen name?  Wanna chat?  Please?

Stop whining.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2006, 08:15:34 PM »

I do think Brian's crew setout with the idea of playing more the less-known tunes and a few surf-car hits while Mike continued with the standard BB formula but in the last year or so (PS and BWPS aside), both setlists seem to be merging.

I read an article earlier this year where Mike said that he wanted to include some rarities so that there would be something for everyone from the casual fan to the hardcore fans.  Not exactly in those words, but that was the gist of what he said.  He seems to have more fun with the rare songs.
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »

[I read an article earlier this year where Mike said that he wanted to include some rarities so that there would be something for everyone from the casual fan to the hardcore fans.  Not exactly in those words, but that was the gist of what he said.  He seems to have more fun with the rare songs.

Amen, he's finally getting tired of "hot-wiring those hot rods one more time...."

Okay maybe not, but at least he's branching out!!!

-Dennis Wilson, 1970
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx