gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:12:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys on your birthday  (Read 4174 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:25:33 PM »

What were the Beach Boys doing on the day you were born? I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I've got this book put together by Keith Badman 'The Beach Boys' (A Definitive Diary of America's Greatest on Stage and In the Studio).

It shows what they were up to day to day beginning in 1961.

I was born in August of 1977. By then its not as detailed, but it does say that in August of 1977 Mike and Al asked Steve Love to return as manager. Bummer, nothing good. In fact, gag me with a spoon.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
XY
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 10:35:44 PM »

On the day I was born, the Beach Boys (without Bruce) were guest on "Good Morning America".
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006, 02:59:22 AM »

I don't know what they did on my birthday (September 6th 1989) but two days later they played at Wembley with "Still Cruisin'" present.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 03:59:43 AM »

My birthday too ! But '55, not '89.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 06:46:49 AM »

Yeah, I konw.  Smiley

BTW Your book is very interesting.

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 07:36:11 AM »

Well, I don't have the Badman book, so I couldn't really tell ya......... Wink

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 07:40:47 AM »

Oh, how is the badman book?  Grin
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 07:44:11 AM by Beach Boy » Logged

Late at night
I dream of you
I dream of you
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 07:41:55 AM »

Lemme see, I was born May 16th 1984, so without looking into Badman's book (or another one for that matter) I'd guess they were playing their oldies to a packed arena or hall or something.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 07:47:22 AM »

I was born on July 8th, 1955.  Weren't Mike, and Bruce playing some county fair in Nebraska that day. Wink
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 08:13:10 AM »

I don't know about the day I was born, but exactly eight years before, Brian laid down the basic tracks for "Cabinessence."

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 08:30:07 AM »

This is kind of a sneaky way to find out how old everyone is (and there's an existing thread on this topic from about a year ago), but it's still fun -  I was born just after the sessions for the "Little Deuce Coupe" album were completed.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006, 10:19:35 AM »

On my birthday...hmmmm...according to Badman that would mean they played at Michigan State University, Lansing MI, May eighteenth nineteenseventyfour

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »

My birthday also before Badman. Prabably before the BBs. Probably before you could find a.....

"grand coolie workin on the railroad"
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »

Hmm, according to Mr. Badman, nothing significant in Beach Boy history happened on August the 6th, 1974.  Actually, August of '74 seems to be a boring month for the group in general, with only one logged recording session and a smattering of US concert dates.  (Apparently Bruce and Brian guested on sessions for Keith Moon's solo album this month, but their contributions didn't even turn up on the released LP!)   Undecided

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006, 06:50:45 PM »

I saw them live (third time) right around my 21st birthday.

Badman doesn't list the dates for that year, 1977.
Worse yet, Eugene, Oregon, USA where I saw them isn't even listed in the concert location index.
But they've played there more than once.

I've go the photos somewhere-- back then you could readily get cameras in and take photos of concerts.

My friends and I hung around after the show which turned out to be a good thing.

The show was in MacArthur Court where Stan Love played college basketball.
Stan was Brian's bodyguard at the time and the two of them came onto the court where we were the only fans left chatting so we had a brief chat with them too.
Brian was wearing that leather jacket with the fur collar that he wore in the US "California Girls"   7" picture sleeve photo taken in Europe. He didn't have a lot to say, but Stan was enjoying the return to the place where he set all kinds of basketball records.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006, 10:02:41 PM »

My birthday too ! But '55, not '89. Wink

I bet Brian, Dennis and Carl were harmonising in their room! Or Murray was beating them up.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2006, 10:05:34 PM »

Lemme see, I was born May 16th 1984, so without looking into Badman's book (or another one for that matter) I'd guess they were playing their oldies to a packed arena or hall or something.

The only thing mentioned of '84 is the burial of Dennis.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006, 10:12:48 PM »

My birthday also before Badman. Prabably before the BBs. Probably before you could find a.....

"grand coolie workin on the railroad"

Maybe when Murray cut 'Two Step Side Step'? Smiley

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 02:28:37 AM »

How about  61. The year they started I know but what happened on my date, August? Recorded Surfin while Murry and Audree in Mexico maybe?

...found this on a timeline search, mid August

with Brian, Carl, Dennis & Mike, Alan re-auditions for the Morgans, performing either
  "Rio Grande" or "Sloop John B" (or possibly both); the Morgans request original material.
  Dennis (untruthfully) says that Brian & Mike have written a song about surfing. The two cousins
  then proceed to do just that

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 03:32:36 PM by TheOther Anonymous » Logged
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2006, 12:21:37 PM »

On a Tuesday, two days before I made the scene, Brian put down the track for "Let Him Run Wild".  On Thursday, I was whacked to life with a sealed, ten-day old pressing of The Beach Boys Today! (the beginning of a lifelong friendship), dried off, issued a Braves cap, and filed under 'J'.  Three days after that (on a Sunday?) the high-part (Endless Harmony) version of "Help Me, Rhonda" was recorded.  The following weeks represent the only period in which Mike Love and I were bald simultaneously.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx