gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680876 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 08:45:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name this tune....  (Read 4282 times)
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2006, 05:25:29 PM »

When I was 10 years old I recorded a record off the radio which i thought was great but the dj didn't name check it. I've been trying to find out what it is off and on for the last 20 years.
All I can tell you is that it was on a show that played 60's music and they seemed to be focusing on 1966 on that show( they followed it with Barbara Ann)

Go here: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=329128 and click on mystery tune and have a listen, if you know it let me know!

b.dfzo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 08:40:30 PM »

I am intrigued by this song!!!  I am scouring the net trying to find out anything on this...have you thought of contacting Jerry Osbourne?  Good luck, for my sake, too: this is too catchy not to know!

http://www.jerryosborne.com/mr.music.htm
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 09:11:43 PM »

I'm guessing it's Billy J. Kramer.  Definitely British, in any case.
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 12:11:02 AM »

It's a great track isn't it?

Not Billy J Kramer though. I've got a Cd with all his stuff on.  The saxaphone was not a Dakota' instrument either. 
The band sounds a little Dave Clark 5 ish what with the sax, but the vocals are nothing like Mike Smith.

Not heard of that Jerry Osbourne guy, I'll give him a try thanks.

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 01:26:38 AM »

Well I just emailed that guy, see what he comes up with.

Incidentaly the track was on one of those shows where they count down the chart of a certain date.  Other tracks they played on the show were Barbara Ann and Mirro Mirror by Pinkerton's asorted colours.  So I sort of dated it as a Feb- March 1996 UK hit.
About 15 years ago I pretty much bought a copy of every single in those top 20 charts that I didn't already know and still no luck. 
I can only think that it may be a flipside of one of the one's I didn't buy.

endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 08:44:30 AM »

I don't think any of us stateside will be of any help, then.  We never got Pinkerton's Assorted Colours over here, as far as I know, so this is probably another one we didn't get.  It did make me think of the DC5, due to a more subdued version of the drum style.  It also reminds me of Del Shannon's "Searchin," but that lead singer is no Del Shannon.
richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 05:11:18 PM »

Yes I agree, It does sound like the kind of tune Del Shannon could have made a good job of.
Anyway, I've got it posted on 4 other message boards and everyone seems to be stumped.
If I find out what it is, I'll post back here and put you out of your misery :-)

richardsnow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 08:58:11 AM »

Mystery solved!

It's by a band called The Beatmen.
They had 2 singles out on PYE records, this is one of the b sides! "Please Believe"

Turns out that they are from my hometown, Nottingham. I contacted the band via their website after someone suggested it may be them.  I received an email confirming that it was one of their records.

Should have been a hit!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx